Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had thought, seemingly incorrectly, it would just pull out. That is not true. So now I'm left with a dead FJ in the driveway. I'm assuming it's held in with some bolts somehow, so how do I get to the bolts to replace the part?

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
First, tell us what caused the 120A fuse to blow, then we'll reveal the secrets of accessing the 120A fuse to replace it.

Also important to the 120A fuse replacement, are you running the original 100A alternator, or has it been replaced with a higher output current alternator?

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, it was being completely distracted and stupid and crossing a jumpstart which resulted in said fuse being nuked. So, essentially: my momentary blink of insanity. I have jump started cars my whole life, and that's the first time I have done that.

Alternator is the original.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Atos,
Sadly, Its a MAJOR PITA!?
The fuse bolts in & requires some disassembly of the fuse box ? :mad:???
There are several posts on how to remove it. There was also a post on how to "piggy-back" another fuse onto the blown one by removing the clear plastic cover & wedging the new one on top.
I HAD VERY MIXED RESULTS W/ THAT...
(I looked for the thread to link, but no joy)
More of a temp/emergency fix; contact was flaky & did all sorts of weird stuff off and on.
I finally did the side drill procedure to unbolt /replace, but a royal PITA!

D ? ?

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Ah, a lesson learned the hard way. Hopefully, the fuse opened before you blew any of the diodes in the alternator.

The 120A alternator fuse is a PITA to replace ... it's bolted in, with two horizontally-oriented bolts passing through the sides of one of the plastic "modules" in the main fuse box.

Here are some links to threads detailing the replacement process. Some are old, and the photos are missing, but the text will walk you through the process:

120 Amp fuse replacement

Electrical Starter issue?

Main Fuse Blown- How to Change?

There is also a YouTube vid about replacing the alternator fuse in a 2005 4Runner (identical fuse box), but the guy struggles, and only (tries) to show you how to put it back together:

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
It should be changed to a 140A fuse (actually a fusible link).

Even if the 120A fuse doesn't "blow" immediately, it may eventually suffer thermal fatigue, and fail when a crack develops across the narrowest portion of the fusible element.

Not good when you're far offroad somewhere.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the valuable help -- after spending about an hour trying to get that thing apart without breaking it, I finally gave up and took advantage of my free tow and had it taken to my local shop lest I do more damage in the process.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same here, I end up taking it to a shop to get fix, I paid 255 dlls for three hrs of labor. I got rid off the huge headache I had.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts