Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Thinking some more about safety inspections. For many, many, many years I played various roles in a large event in the desert involving a lot f people. This wasn't Ouray - this was "if you're not prepared it's not hard to die" country. And there were lists for first timers, guides, suggestions, instructions on how to survive (and thrive) in the environment, but no "safety inspection" per se. Rather, the tickets to the event spelled out rather clearly: "You voluntarily assume the risk of death or serious injury by attending."

Events run by the TLCA can have safety inspections -- and SHOULD -- because it's a way to protect the organization (insert all of the arguments about the range of vehicle ages and conditions, etc., here). But the fact is that we live in a big wide world, with, occasionally, big and bad threats. A few live in Ouray, just like anywhere else. Some don't. But self-reliance (or, perhaps more aptly, 'group reliance', in reality) is a core feature of being an outdorsperson (and could be more so, IMHO).

It seems to me that more important than safety checks would be "understanding checks". That is, "Do you understand that you need food, water, warm clothing, some tools, sturdy shoes and a good pair of gloves, a first aid kit, a communications system, hopefully a bunch of maps and compass and the knowledge to use them, and a working brain between your ears?"

Whether that query is something suited for the chaos of lining up for trips each morning or some other time/place/mode is another question. But I am definitely more interested with what's going on in peoples brains than whether their first aid kits was last checked six hours ago or six months ago.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I just completed registration and there was a section dedicated to being properly equipped. The question was "do you have and understand how to use the follwing?" Listed were first aid kit, fire extinguisher, CB, Hi-lift, straps, winch and more and you checked yes or no. This would not be a safety inspection but it is an excellant way to get those attending to understand what they should have. I don't remember it from last year so I guess it's new and I applaud the Summit leaders for adding it.

Ace

41 - 43 of 43 Posts