Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2010 fj. The book says change the oil at 5k, with the 0W 20 fully synthetic oil. That seems very excessive. I would think 10k would suffice. Then I read on the forum that people with 2010 FJs get something in the mail that says 10k miles, and that the maintenance book in the glove box is incorrect? Can someone please comment on the correct frequency? Thanks.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Re: 2010 Oil Change Inteval

The factory oil change interval for the synthetic on the 2010 is 10K Miles.

KyFJGuy

·
Registered
619 Posts

The salesman told me 5k for the first oil change, but I could only find 10k specified in the maintenance manual. Chances are my reading comprehension could be to blame. So it's change at 5k, then every 10k?

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts

Had my first oil change @ 7500 miles, will continue to do so going forward. I did get my 10k change interval letter in the mail from Toyota, so I am just going to use that for a worst case senario...some wiggle room to fall back on if needed. I may alternate changes, 1 @ 7500, next 10k from then (17,500) and so on.

:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts

·
Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser 6MT Sunfusion
244 Posts

When I was at my dealer the other day for the clutch TSB, I saw a used 2005 v6 Tacoma engine sitting on a pallet back in the parts dept. I asked what was wrong and they pulled off one of the valve covers to reveal crud and deposits that I would expect to see in a engine that was running conventional oil with excessive miles{15-20k} between changes. It looked REALLY bad. Mileage on the engine when it died from low oil pressure at 200K, oil changes were performed @ 10k intervals with AMSOIL over the entire life of the engine and supposedly the owner had proof of this with receipts. I will try to get back over there and make a photo for all to see what can happen by following the 10K interval. No more than 5k for any of my vehicles will still be my rule. Pics to come.

Bibb in San Antonio

·
Registered
470 Posts

Dealer (and the manual) told me 10k for the 2010 FJ. I got it done at 7500k.
I got the coupon book for free oil changes/tune ups till 25k miles. I'll be doing my own changes after that.

·
Registered
493 Posts

Dealer (and the manual) told me 10k for the 2010 FJ. I got it done at 7500k.
I got the coupon book for free oil changes/tune ups till 25k miles. I'll be doing my own changes after that.
WOW! 7500k (or 7,500,000 miles) would be way too long for an oil change.
I would definitely of done it at the recomended 10k interval...:huh:

I would of thought that the 150 sets of tires and 1500 tire rotations
would if clued you in to change the oil sooner....:wave:

No offense intended...Just some harmless fun with a typo :roller:

KyFJGuy

·
Registered
470 Posts

You got me.:jester:

·
Registered
21 Posts

I own a 2010 and follow the "severe service" schedule which is oil change at 5k interval with 0w-20 full synthetic. Toyota's free service package follows the "normal" service schedule which is a 10k oil change interval. If you read the description of "severe service" it applies to more vehicles than you would think.

·
Registered
75 Posts

IMO,If you're concerned about oil protection beyond 5000 miles or thinking about extended oil change intervals you should get a sample of your oil to Blackstone labs. These guys will analyze your oil and tell you how well your engine is being protected. If you email them they will send you a free test kit in the mail. So next time you're changind oil you can use the kit to take an oil sample and send to them. They will charge you $25 for the service but I think it's worth knowing how well the engine is being protected. I bought my FJ used and know that the owner befor me was using standard dealer oil. Since I've been using Royal Purple ("snake oil" or not)- 3 oil changes now, and will get my sample into Blackstone next time I drop the oil out of it to see whats going on with my oil...

·
Registered
1,788 Posts

When I was at my dealer the other day for the clutch TSB, I saw a used 2005 v6 Tacoma engine sitting on a pallet back in the parts dept. I asked what was wrong and they pulled off one of the valve covers to reveal crud and deposits that I would expect to see in a engine that was running conventional oil with excessive miles{15-20k} between changes. It looked REALLY bad. Mileage on the engine when it died from low oil pressure at 200K, oil changes were performed @ 10k intervals with AMSOIL over the entire life of the engine and supposedly the owner had proof of this with receipts. I will try to get back over there and make a photo for all to see what can happen by following the 10K interval. No more than 5k for any of my vehicles will still be my rule. Pics to come.

Bibb in San Antonio
in for pics

·
Registered
47 Posts

IMO,If you're concerned about oil protection beyond 5000 miles or thinking about extended oil change intervals you should get a sample of your oil to Blackstone labs. These guys will analyze your oil and tell you how well your engine is being protected. If you email them they will send you a free test kit in the mail. So next time you're changind oil you can use the kit to take an oil sample and send to them. They will charge you $25 for the service but I think it's worth knowing how well the engine is being protected. I bought my FJ used and know that the owner befor me was using standard dealer oil. Since I've been using Royal Purple ("snake oil" or not)- 3 oil changes now, and will get my sample into Blackstone next time I drop the oil out of it to see whats going on with my oil...
I was going to post the exact same recommendation. Oil change intervals or OCI are heavily dependent on the roads the vehicle is driven on, the climate, and the driving style of the vehicle owner. If you drive your car hard, change the oil more frequently based on your oil analysis results.

Otherwise, all of you guys are shooting in the dark and speaking from your gut. Guts don't know crap about what's going on inside your engine. A common problem we all run into, motivated reasoning. It's foolish to justify your logic about how you feel about something. There are so many variables to take into account when it comes to proper OCI's that the only way you know when it's time, get your oil tested and go by the results.

A good resource is the oil forum, www.bobistheoilguy.com read up that site religiously and you'll think differently about oil, especially what's supposedly good and what's all hype. flame on.:cheers:

·
Registered
2,152 Posts

I firmly believe in used oil analysis

That was how I discovered if I ran Valvoline regular 5W-30, it should be changed at least every 3,000 miles in my FJ

·
Registered
254 Posts

Bibb in San Antonio
Since I drive 10K per year that means 20 years of ownership and driving. Guess I will go with the Toyota recommended interval of 10K with the 0w20 oil. Just makes sense for my use. Plus I doubt I would own the FJ longer then 4-5 years or 40K-50K miles.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Just go a 2011, service interval is 10K on first. I plan on changing it at 5K, but it doesn't state synthetic of Conventional. It does say 0-20W, but I would lean towards synthetic, are the majority of you guys running synthetic?

Mobile 1
Amsoil
Castrol

·
Registered
254 Posts
Just go a 2011, service interval is 10K on first. I plan on changing it at 5K, but it doesn't state synthetic of Conventional. It does say 0-20W, but I would lean towards synthetic, are the majority of you guys running synthetic?

Mobile 1
Amsoil
Castrol
Understand there are no 0w20 oils that are not synthetic.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts