Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace the spare with a 33" full size, but LOVE my stock in-mirror backup camera. Ideas?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Granted I have an aftermarket bumper - it gives you an idea.

-----------
First the door plate needs to be notched out slightly to allow for the cable.

I pulled the camera assembly plate off and flipped it upsidedown and backwards, and mounted the camera with the screws (there are little ribs on the camera that will only allow it to go in this bracket one way, I used the ribs to provide the proper angle..you could shave them so that the camera is flush but I think the angles would be off for a lifted FJ with this swing arm)

We then drilled a second hole in the assembly plate.

Then we cut out part of the bottom of my center cap to slightly recess the camera for a stealth look (A slow process, just a little at a time!)

Once we got it to the right look we roughed up the inside of the cap as much as possible with a dremel and applied JB weld and two Bolts. Then we placed the camera assembly plate in to line up the bolts/camera properly - let dry for 24 hours.

and what it looks like from my (6'1) view point.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Granted I have an aftermarket bumper - it gives you an idea.

-----------
First the door plate needs to be notched out slightly to allow for the cable.

I pulled the camera assembly plate off and flipped it upsidedown and backwards, and mounted the camera with the screws (there are little ribs on the camera that will only allow it to go in this bracket one way, I used the ribs to provide the proper angle..you could shave them so that the camera is flush but I think the angles would be off for a lifted FJ with this swing arm)

We then drilled a second hole in the assembly plate.

Then we cut out part of the bottom of my center cap to slightly recess the camera for a stealth look (A slow process, just a little at a time!)

Once we got it to the right look we roughed up the inside of the cap as much as possible with a dremel and applied JB weld and two Bolts. Then we placed the camera assembly plate in to line up the bolts/camera properly - let dry for 24 hours.

and what it looks like from my (6'1) view point.

This is great info! Thanks Wraven! great looking ride too!
What do the Hieroglyphs say on your arm?
-Rob

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
I'm confused why anything would need to change just to run a full size spare?

I have a full size spare on mine (33.3") and didn't make any change at all to the stock camera location.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm confused why anything would need to change just to run a full size spare?

I have a full size spare on mine (33.3") and didn't make any change at all to the stock camera location.
Where does it mount? I may be missing something.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Same exact place the stock wheel/tire mounted. There are a number of folks who are even running 35s mounted in the stock location, so the 33s aren't a problem.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The camera is located in the center cap location. Wrapping the stock rims/most aftermarket in 33" tires won't warrant a change to the stock camera location.

Once you peal away the trash can lid on your spare you will find a black piece of metal protruding from your center cap area with a silver bolt right on the head of it. Your camera is in that metal housing.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The camera is located in the center cap location. Wrapping the stock rims/most aftermarket in 33" tires won't warrant a change to the stock camera location.

Once you peal away the trash can lid on your spare you will find a black piece of metal protruding from your center cap area with a silver bolt right on the head of it. Your camera is in that metal housing.
Aha. Thanks wraven. Theres the glitch. forgot to mention that I will be replacing the rims too!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts