·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not yet

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Tires look great. The 285's are slightly taller than the 265's Nittos and wondering if you noticed any speedometer issues or performance. How bout gas mileage difference ? Thanks

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Also what air pressure you running for street use?

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
I have the same tires, but I put a 2.5" lift for additional clearance.

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tires look great. The 285's are slightly taller than the 265's Nittos and wondering if you noticed any speedometer issues or performance. How bout gas mileage difference ? Thanks
i am pretty aware of how each of my vehicels drive and feel. the 1/2" diff on the FJ made no diff that you could normally feel. in fact the speedo was off with the 265's compared to my GPS and is EXACTLY correct now. shifts great and plenty of power. i am running 35psi

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks great!
thanks to my buddies at Killarn Discount Tire in Tallahassee Fl, 3rd full set of tires in 12 months from them. all expensive sets. 35" KM2's for my truck, some 255's and 245's for my 350Z and now these! youd think i was customer of the year!

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Very nice! Thanks for the post with pics. Helpful to know that the tires are possible without the lift ... which will come eventually.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Looking sharp!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
so let me get this straight:

are you saying that you can simply remove the original 265 tires that the FJ comes with and put 285's on the same wheel in their place, without having to do anything?? no lift, etc? if so, is this merely to get a beefier/wider look on the FJ?
i was told that i would need to lift the front a *minimum* of 2 1/2" to clear a 285 tire.

how do the Nitto's differ from the Toyo MT's??

thanks!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes just replaced them. no not just for looks. the street tires that were stock are ok, but A) have 2 ply sidewalls, not good for offroad with sticks and rocks. and B) the 1/2" taller does add 1/2 " clearance underneath.
These Nittos are 10 ply truck tires.

the more aggressive tread is nice in clay and loose dirt.

im sure lifting it would be cool, but all my 4x4's are lifted and i see no need to have my DD and trail / beach /camping rig lifted. Lifting doesnt add offroad performance beyoned allowing bigger tires for more ground clearance (which this doesnt need). then its a slipperly slope, big tires need low gears, then more power, and so on until you spent another $15,000 and the truck is usless for DD. and MPG sucks. So im lucky to have trucks for extreme offroad and fortunate to have enough skills to drive the almost stock FJ anywhere it needs to go.

i saw many say you need the lift for 33" tires, but i measured and knew it would be fine. yes i can force the tire to rub the mud cover over the bodymount, at full lock and hitting a hill , but when it did and stopped to look under there was still clearance to the bodymount. it was just plastic cover touching the tire edge.

to summarize: for me i wanted to upgrade tires for my intended use of this truck. your results may vary.

·
Registered
45 Posts
@Florida Bronco: thank you so much for your detailed reply.

it seems the more i read about tires & suspension, the more confused i get!

i am in a similar situation as far as how i use my FJ. it's my daily driver [pavement] with frequent road trips to the mountains and deserts- which mainly include trails & very minor 4x4 activity.

i DO want a little bit more of a beefier look on the FJ when it comes to the tires- and that's where the 285's come in.

you mention "1/2" taller" with the 285's- [this is probably a stupid question], does this mean the entire vehicle height is raised 1/2" taller?
that's another important issue for me- i want to still be able to park in my garage- and go into the occasional underground parking garage.
i mainly want a "wider" look.

also-
does changing to 285's affect the speedometer and/or gas mileage?

i've heard amazing things about the Toyo MT's- not only for what they're intended for (mud, etc) but also when it comes to regular, daily driving on pavement....less noise, etc.- another issue for me...i do not want a ton of road noise.

being that you've been into the off-road scene for awhile, do you know how the Toyo's compare to the Nitto's you got??

thanks again, in advance :cheers:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
nice write up FB - thanks. I am in the same boat as mine is a DD so this was helpful info. I'll be getting 285's for my 2nd set of rims I just bought. How are these in sand??

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have that same tire on mine and it absolutely killed my gas mileage. Before it would get just under 22 mpg hwy and now if I had to guess I would say no more than 17. I'll check to make sure soon though.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
ive been lucky my MPG is still 19+ but I drive easy most times. the speedo reads accurate, to answer above question. it was a little off with stock tires according to GPS, the factory does that to show slighly better MPG's.
yes the truck does look "beefier" as you say. i think Toyo's and Nitto are the same company. the MT's may wear well on the road but you will have alot of noise no matter what anyone says. i cant compare a Mud tire to these All Terrain tires. i will say as far as AT's these are pretty quiet, not same as stock car tires but very good. and for traction compared to other AT's i got (DC FCII's and BFG KO AT's) they have very good if not best traction. which can be both good and bad. good to grip and dig out if there is some substance the the ground, bad if its beach sand and your a dumb driver, you will dig 4 big holes and be sitting on the frame.

as for wanting a wider tire, there is probably a metric size that is wider but not taller. the problem will be finding it in a good truck tires model. i a good tire store can help you locally with that question.

yes the tires i one inch bigger in diameter so a 1/2 inch taller than stock and yes 1/2" taller truck, but i still fit in a std 7" garage door.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts