Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody. I have been looking into suspension kits for my 2010 TT and must say that I am a little overwhelmed by my options. I was hoping you guys could help steer me in the right direction and answer a few questions that I have. What I am looking for is a kit that offers 2-3" of lift and a good compromise between on-road comfort and off-road performance. I don't do anything too extreme off-road and I log quite a bit of highway miles.

I am confused as to what the benefits of an adjustable coilover set-up like ICON or ToyTec is over OME's shock and spring kit. I want a level set-up and I understand that with adjustable coilovers you tune it to get it pretty much perfect. I've heard that adjustable coilovers are also more maintenance, and that a shock and spring set-up like OME's is pretty much maintenance free. I don't have a lot of spare time to do maintenance due to work, so that makes a shock and spring kit sound more attractive from that standpoint. What are you guys' thoughts on adjustable coilovers vs shock and springs?

As far as coilovers go: ICON or ToyTec? Price really isn't a concern thanks to Afghanistan deployment money.:)

Another thing I was wondering was about the spring options for the OME kit. I currently have a Demello single tube front bumper, demello front skid, and demello sliders on order. I might add a winch and a Demello rear bumper in the future. I will also be towing a motorcycle around occasionally. I was thinking 885's up front and 889's in the rear. Would that be the right move?

Thanks for all the help, this forum is awesome. :rocker:

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
If money is not concern, then definitely go with Icons, Toytec or Radflo. There is no particular maintenance for adjustable coilovers, with exception of maintaining threads clean. You can hit threads with liquid film once in 6 mo or so, just clean them prior to it. You said it right, adjustable coilover lets you get everything to perfection and quality of those listed above is fantastic. Especially if you are planning to add more weight in the future (bumper, winch, skids...etc) i would suggest something with 2.5" shock coilovers, such as Icons or Radflo.

I have Radflo adjustable in the front with Icon shocks in the rear with stock coils + 1" spacers. 2 1/2" lift front 1" rear lift. Not too high and not too low, just the way i like it. Ride quality comparing to stock is not even comparable.

Don`t get me wrong, OME is a nice kit...but if you can afford more, why settle for less :cheers:

Just my 02c

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hey everybody. I have been looking into suspension kits for my 2010 TT and must say that I am a little overwhelmed by my options. I was hoping you guys could help steer me in the right direction and answer a few questions that I have. What I am looking for is a kit that offers 2-3" of lift and a good compromise between on-road comfort and off-road performance. I don't do anything too extreme off-road and I log quite a bit of highway miles.

I am confused as to what the benefits of an adjustable coilover set-up like ICON or ToyTec is over OME's shock and spring kit. I want a level set-up and I understand that with adjustable coilovers you tune it to get it pretty much perfect. I've heard that adjustable coilovers are also more maintenance, and that a shock and spring set-up like OME's is pretty much maintenance free. I don't have a lot of spare time to do maintenance due to work, so that makes a shock and spring kit sound more attractive from that standpoint. What are you guys' thoughts on adjustable coilovers vs shock and springs?

As far as coilovers go: ICON or ToyTec? Price really isn't a concern thanks to Afghanistan deployment money.:)

Another thing I was wondering was about the spring options for the OME kit. I currently have a Demello single tube front bumper, demello front skid, and demello sliders on order. I might add a winch and a Demello rear bumper in the future. I will also be towing a motorcycle around occasionally. I was thinking 885's up front and 889's in the rear. Would that be the right move?

I went with the Toytec Ultimate lift and LR UCAs, so far so good, works great for me.

100_0286.jpg

·
Registered
205 Posts
I would get a Icon stage 5 or 6. That is what I am saving for. OME is ok, but Icons are amazing. Buying the stage kits you can get the UCA and LCA as well. You may not off road much but the quality will be a lot more appealing when you go to sell it!

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts

We carry both the Icon and the OME and we are currently having a sale on both. Check out our April Tax season sale.

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
I ran ICON on my '08 and have to admit I was a little disappointed. After only 2 or 3 months, they started squeaking loudly, which come to find out it is not uncommon for ICON. Had to lube the shaft often to avoid the embarrassing noise. This time I went with SAW and couldn't be happier, though I have only had them on about 2 weeks.

The SAW looks awesome, my truck is level as compared to the ICON, and they ride awesome. Don't get me wrong, the ICON were great, just noisy and I didn't like paying that much for something that embarrassing. I can do embarrassing for free. :clap::cheers:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts