Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed the TRD intake a couple days ago and while driving it has one hell of an annoying whistle. Anyone else experiencing this? Once you get to the speed you want to be at the whistle is constant and VERY annoying. No matter what speed it is, once you are sitting there at speed it whistles. Even during acceleration and certain rpm's it will whistle. I've checked all the connections, even undid it all moved the tube around and re tightened it all. Still the same, how do I get it to go away?

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Just installed the TRD intake a couple days ago and while driving it has one hell of an annoying whistle. Anyone else experiencing this? Once you get to the speed you want to be at the whistle is constant and VERY annoying. No matter what speed it is, once you are sitting there at speed it whistles. Even during acceleration and certain rpm's it will whistle. I've checked all the connections, even undid it all moved the tube around and re tightened it all. Still the same, how do I get it to go away?
Wow, is it loud? Constant pitch?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I currently do not have a CAI on my fj(on the way tho, a buddy down the street works at the head toyota office in torance). But I do have a tundra that I have a CAI on it and has the "whistle".. Along with a few friends that have CIA's they all have a slight whistle to. I don't have a solution, just letting you know its normal.

I kind of like the sound tho. :rocker:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On mine it is constant and pretty loud. With the windows down it makes it more annoying and louder. People turn their heads as i drive by. Not too happy. I drive a lot for work, mainly highway and hearing that non stop sucks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
On mine it is constant and pretty loud. With the windows down it makes it more annoying and louder. People turn their heads as i drive by. Not too happy. I drive a lot for work, mainly highway and hearing that non stop sucks.
Sounds like my tundra. It almost sounds like it has a turbo.

Ill have my intake on my fj in about a day or two will let you know with the results.. Is it the gen 1 or 2 trd intake?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its on a 2011 so I'd assume gen 2 intake.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had intakes whistle, but not like this. This is a little disappointing.

·
Registered
276 Posts
maybe you should jack up the front end and have a buddy rev the engine ala Ferris Bueller and find out where the whistle is coming from :p

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have the K&N 63 series on my FJ, and there's no whistle...matter of fact, it kinda growls, sounds mean. My friend has a K&N on his 4 banger 08 Tacoma, and that whistles...maybe its just with the straight pipes? Anybody have an issue with the AFE?

Sent from my EVO4G using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
157 Posts
having had CAI's on ll my previous cars, even my Rubicon, you may have a leak somewhere if the whistle is constant, it should be there when in full throttle and a slight whistle at normal speeds...just my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
I installed mine a couple of weeks ago, no whistle. I would check the lower half of the filter box. There are three bolts that fasten it to the fender well. Each bolt should have a rubber bushing. Also the hole closest to the engine is slotted and could be the source of the whistle. Good luck.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey man,

Yeah, I was just about to post the same thing about the 2010 CAI whistle. It isn't there at idle, but it slowly gets louder as you accelerate, and is at its highest sound at the higher rpm's. I thought I was being obsessive, but it gets really annoying while driving. I have the TRD exhaust as well, not sure if that affects it. The sound on mine is more of a high pitched whistle, rather than a "sucking" of air sound.

I checked all of my connections, including the rubber grommets and bolts on the box and can't find anything wrong. I called TRD and a tech told me that it was normal. I don't think he knew how annoying it is though, he just said that the whistling noise is common on CAI's b/c of the lack of the air baffles that reduce sound.

Hopefully there's some fix to it, b/c it drives me crazy.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Even when I removed the baffles and added an afe filter I didn't have it. It does growl when you romp on it but at normal driving speed it is causing me to go insane. All connections have been gone through and all is good. Will post a video later tonight when I take it out to dinner.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well the video just picked up lots of wind noise, and yes the windows were up and the camera was in the center of the FJ by the gear shifter. As loud as the whistle is I for sure thought the camera would pick it up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Installed my trd intake gen 2,, there is no whistle at all, just a growl.,, was there a plastic baffel in your fender that directs the air to pull from the rear of the fender?

·
Registered
538 Posts
I hear it too, though mine isn't constant but rather starts around 2K RPM only when the engine is under load; just revving the engine doesn't cause it.

It sounds just like a turbo when it spun up on turbocharged cars I've owned.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Hey all,
I wrote my whistle off to OCD but I am glad to hear about the support group here...

Here’s my setup… I have a 2010 FJ with a drop-in TRD filter. I have not removed my baffles or done anything else to motor besides the filter.

I installed the TRD after removing the OEM paper filter. After I installed it I noticed a whistle (almost like a vacuum leak) from about 20-40mph under light to normal acceleration. It is faint but it was driving me nuts because once I focused on it I couldn't get it out of my head. So I checked the fitment and seal around the box and everything seats nicely.

I threw the OEM back in and the whistle (yes turbo spool sound for me too) went away. Not pleased with the TRD's issues I went up to Toyota to pick their brain. They tightened down some connections, checked for leaks, and came up empty handed. While up there I asked to drive a new FJ for the hell of it with my TRD filter and I got the same noise!

The service guy and I came to the conclusion that either the filter is just a hair off in fitment or the 2010 baffle chamber isn't working with the increased airflow from the TRD filter. So, I decided to remove the filter completely, clamp down the air box as usual, and then go for a test ride. (Actually did the same test to mine and the dealer's new FJ with no filter in stock box)

Both test yielded the same results... faint whistles. The moral of the story for me at least showed that when there is no restriction (i.e. no filter or free flow filter) in the OEM 2010 air induction set-up the actual design of the baffles and air tube produces this whistle.

I am hoping that by removing the baffle system that I will either 1) get rid of the whistle noise due to the increased rumble of air suction, or 2) find out if I truly have a slight air gap around the TRD filter in the stock box causing this whistle. Knowing that the brand new dealer FJ with no filter in a stock box made the same noise makes me feel better about my FJ though.

Sorry to those guys with the 2010 TRD CAI problems...I hope it's just a leak somewhere and not an overall design flaw.

·
Registered
14 Posts
damn im planning of getting this intake coming friday too. 407 bucks lol now reading this makes me wanna back out and get the cat back instead.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts