Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
After having the intake on for a couple weeks now I'm getting use to it, and trying to block it out. Doing 70 down the highway and hearing that thing scream non stop sucks, but I just turn up the radio. All connection have been looked at and no leaks or problems, just a TRD thing.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Welcome to owning a CAI, most will have some sort of whine to them, depending on filter and configuration. It's the nature of the beast when you remove the baffles and silencers in favor of a shorter and smooth route for the air flow.

·
Registered
493 Posts
maybe you should jack up the front end and have a buddy rev the engine ala Ferris Bueller and find out where the whistle is coming from :p
Bad idea.
They are Rear Wheel Drive without the 4WD engaged.
If you do choose to try this, and drive it off the jack and into your house or
garage, be sure to video tape it.

KyFJGuy

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
For anyone considering trd cai and trd exhaust. I wouldn't do it again. The exhaust sound is not much different and the cai whistle is annoying. I didn't really notice a power difference. I do notice a difference when I stomp on it. Sound and power but how would you want to do that with gas being 4 dollars a gallon. The chrome tip is pretty and the red lettering is cool. Hope my truck appreciates me throw 800 + at it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I am opposite, I did notice a difference not in horsepower but in throttle response and smoothness in the engine. I also did it because frankly, I liked the way it looked. Everybody holds value in different kind of mods, whether it be for function or looks.You have to determine what you consider to be important. As for not being able to floor it because of the price of gas, lets face it nobody here bought an FJ for it's fuel efficiency. We bought it for what it can do and the way it looks. No other suv has that wow factor when it comes to looks IMO.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
I didn't mean to offend but really, I could have put some red plastic stripes and the red letters TRD. I am not *****ing really. It's my fault for not researching more. I guess I'm not feeling an 800 dollar mod. And the whistle is alittle annoying but the stereo drowns that out. I do much more driving than most and no I didn't get it for the gas mileage but I can get 17 if I don't floor it all over the place. By the way silver is cool. It was my first choice but they could find one. Happy TRDing

·
Registered
134 Posts
No offense taken. I agree with you on the red stripes, I just did it like I said originally for looks. When you see all the fj's modded out on the forum with skid plates, lifts and huge tires it makes one want to keep up. I will probably never off road the way most members do so spending money on that for me would be a waste. I decided to add more into daily driving mods, next I hope will be the TRD brakes. Not because the stock ones are bad but I need something to add on my forum signature to keep up with the rest of you.LOL:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
yup, all I need is brakes and shocks, then I can put that sticker on my window. It's funny how I can be practical in every other aspect of my life.
I was right about the whistle. Can not hear it with the radio on and now that I know it's normal, it doesn't seem as bad.

·
Registered
521 Posts
The CAI whistle is actually kind of fun; it makes me feel like I'm driving a turbo diesel even though the available torque obviously doesn't feel that way. :)

Note my whistle is not non-stop; rather it's only at full(ish) throttle at higher RPMs; for example when going down the highway, I only hear the whistle when going up steeper hills.

OtoH I really do like the enhanced burble from the TRD exhaust, and the FJ does feel a tiny bit peppier.

·
Registered
46 Posts
From the sounds of things I'm glad that I waited this one out. $800 bux for a whistling noise (that would probably drive me crazy) and little more to speak of would have really burnt my a**...
Sorry guys, but thanx as well...

21 - 31 of 31 Posts