Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If someone on the list has taken delivery of a 2010 TT can you please post a photo of the spare tire?

I am just wondering if the TT comes with a tire cover, or if the backup camera is just in a small housing so the rim and tire are visible.

I do not like the silver plastic trash can lid tire cover that that Toyota shipped the 2009s with.

Thanks in advance for the photos and information.

·
Registered
917 Posts
someone should have that answer in a week I'd think. Mine is now at port, so it will be a while. Slow and steady I guess. Yea I'm not fond of the trash can thing over the rim.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not TT but 2010 Iceberg.

I dislike cover, Hope someone makes a better aluminum center cover that will work. Also here is a picture with no cover. This is how I will ride. Need to find a bolt for right side, one that comes with cover is 2 long without

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not TT but 2010 Iceberg.

I dislike cover, Hope someone makes a better aluminum center cover that will work. Also here is a picture with no cover. This is how I will ride. Need to find a bolt for right side, one that comes with cover is 2 long without
Do you have the standard 17" rims or the 16" rims that come witn the offroad package?

I am hoping that either TRD or an aftermarket supplier will come up with a potective metal box to cover the camera to protect it when the "trash can" style spare tire cover is removed.

Seriously that spare tire cover looks like you would find Oscar the Grouch under it instead of a backup camera.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Just got a 2010 Iceberg myself and I would love to roll with no cover at all. the black full tire cover actually cuts down on the camera's full viewing range. This is nothing that a small file couldn't take care of but still disappointing none-the-less.

I would be 100% interested in some type of modified, regular looking aluminum center cap for the whole thing too!!

I haven't tried, but how close is a 16" stock center cap at even fitting over the current set up?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just got a 2010 Iceberg myself and I would love to roll with no cover at all. the black full tire cover actually cuts down on the camera's full viewing range. This is nothing that a small file couldn't take care of but still disappointing none-the-less.

I would be 100% interested in some type of modified, regular looking aluminum center cap for the whole thing too!!

I haven't tried, but how close is a 16" stock center cap at even fitting over the current set up?

Not close at all. The camera mount sticks out several inches from the hub of the wheel. It would be possible to make a center cover, I'm sure. I haven't been motivated in that direction yet:)

Like you, I noticed the black cover looks like it's blocking a fair amount of camera view. I took white pieces of tape and but vertical black bars on them at 1/4" intervals and put the tape on the inside of the cover on each side of the opening - - figuring to see how much was blocked. From what I could tell, not much is blocked and so I didn't enlarge the opening. I did make a clear plexiglas cover and Velcroed it over the opening to keep the cameral lens clean and dry. It's easier to clean the plexi and not worry about scratching the camera lens.

bumper

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
I took the extra wheel cover from my 2011 TT, used a dremel to remove the lower third. Then I used the metal spring clip that holds it in place and sprayed it with black Plasitdip (so that the shiny metal wouldn't show).

I've used it for a couple months and it is solid, doesn't block any of the camera and I think it looks pretty good. Cheap and easy solution to clean up the look.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 FJ Cruiser #885/2500
65 Posts
I took the extra wheel cover from my 2011 TT, used a dremel to remove the lower third. Then I used the metal spring clip that holds it in place and sprayed it with black Plasitdip (so that the shiny metal wouldn't show).

I've used it for a couple months and it is solid, doesn't block any of the camera and I think it looks pretty good. Cheap and easy solution to clean up the look.
How did this hold up over time? I was actually thinking about plasti-dipping all 5 center caps on mine to eliminate all the red since I replaced the silver rock rails on my 2013 TT with black powder coated ones.

·
Registered
128 Posts
But how does it stay in place? The black metal housing protrudes too far for the TRD cover to engage with the lug nuts!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts