Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks. Given the visible metal particles that I found in the oil filter of my new 2011 FJ at 1200 miles, I am wondering about the automatic transmission fluid. There are a lot of gears in there that will be meshing and wearing together during the first few thousand miles.

Should I change the auto transmission fluid during the break in period? Thoughts and opinions? I want my FJ to last a very long time, and I don't mind spending a few extra bucks to protect it. I SURE don't want any transmission problems.

-FJ Florida-

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
i don't see a transmission dip stick?
There isn't one, there is a fluid-level check plug in the bottom of the pan (not far from the drain plug and it looks just like it so be careful). Drive the the truck until fully warm, take out the check plug with the appropriate size Torx bit, and ATF should barely dribble out. If it doesn't, add the proper low-viscosity ATF through the fill plug hole on the passenger side of the transmission until it does.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There isn't one, there is a fluid-level check plug in the bottom of the pan (not far from the drain plug and it looks just like it so be careful). Drive the the truck until fully warm, take out the check plug with the appropriate size Torx bit, and ATF should barely dribble out. If it doesn't, add the proper low-viscosity ATF through the fill plug hole on the passenger side of the transmission until it does.
Not to step on anyones toes, but don't check the fluid level when the vehicle is fully warm!!!! You will cause your trans to be low on fluid!! Check the repair manual for the correct temp. to check the fluid level. I'm not sure the temp for a 2011 but for a 2007 & 2008 it should be between 97 & 115 F (TSB 0129-08)

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
Not to step on anyones toes, but don't check the fluid level when the vehicle is fully warm!!!! You will cause your trans to be low on fluid!! Check the repair manual for the correct temp. to check the fluid level. I'm not sure the temp for a 2011 but for a 2007 & 2008 it should be between 97 & 115 F (TSB 0129-08)
For those without an infrared temp scanner or who don't want to short pins in the OBDII port and read the flashing lights, fully-warm (notice I did not say hot after driving it all day) is close enough to 115 F.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
1911 is one of only a couple people on this forum that I trust when it comes to mechanical issues. He knows what hes talking about.

Reactions: RomaBoy

·
Premium Member
6,519 Posts
The ATF level in my '07 A750F needs to be checked when the ATF is between 115-130F.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
When I said earlier I only trust a couple of people on this forum for mechanical issues and said 1911 was one them, DEWFPO is the other of the one. Notice that both their answers are the same

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I said earlier I only trust a couple of people on this forum for mechanical issues and said 1911 was one them, DEWFPO is the other of the one. Notice that both their answers are the same
OK, so everyone agrees that there is no need for me to do any sort of break in transmission fluid change?

I tow light loads (rarely right now) but hope to increase in the future. Recommended trans service intervals towing below 3000 lbs plus driving daily in stop-and-go commuting (without tow of course)?

-FJ Florida-

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
OK, so everyone agrees that there is no need for me to do any sort of break in transmission fluid change?

I tow light loads (rarely right now) but hope to increase in the future. Recommended trans service intervals towing below 3000 lbs plus driving daily in stop-and-go commuting (without tow of course)?

-FJ Florida-
Correct, no need. Toyota makes really good auto transmissions.

If you are regularly towing, I would suggest getting the trans fluid flushed and changed at 60k rather than 100k.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Correct, no need. Toyota makes really good auto transmissions.

If you are regularly towing, I would suggest getting the trans fluid flushed and changed at 60k rather than 100k.
+1, Just had mine flushed today at 76K miles and the fluid was black and smelled cooked. I will not be going that long again (more like 50 to 60K)

After seeing mine first hand, 100K is not good for any driving style (at least not down here in the southern heat.) $150 to $200 every 50K miles or so is cheep insurance IMO compared to buying a new tranny.

·
Registered
792 Posts
+1, Just had mine flushed today at 76K miles and the fluid was black and smelled cooked. I will not be going that long again (more like 50 to 60K)

After seeing mine first hand, 100K is not good for any driving style (at least not down here in the southern heat.) $150 to $200 every 50K miles or so is cheep insurance IMO compared to buying a new tranny.
Did you fully FLUSH or drain/refill a couple of quarts?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Did you fully FLUSH or drain/refill a couple of quarts?
Full flush, cost me 150.00 + tax and well worth it. It's a good local shop here in St. Augustine, the guys looked up the procedure and called Toyota for specifics. Toyota wanted between 200.00 and 250.00 for the same job. I take care of the Diffs and Trans case myself.

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
I just wanted to add my 2 cents about flushing transmissions. If you need a transmission flush your fluid has gone too far and this is not good. To prevent this in the future check your fluid every 30K or less if you tow. The longevity of an automatic transmission depends on clean fluid. Rather than waiting to flush your transmission drain and refill 4 quarts every 30K depending on your fluid condition. The trick is to keep it in the PINK. <G>

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
drain and refill 4 quarts every 30K depending on your fluid condition.
Getting the fluid level correct can be a bit tricky. I went through all of that when I did an early service on my FJ at around 12,000 km.

I also dropped the pan, and it was spotless inside. I was able to reuse the gasket

One has to assume the fluid level is correct from the factory. Then the easiest way to quickly and correctly refill the pan is to carefully measure what you drained

Get one of those plastic quart/litre measuring cups sold in the kitchen aisle of Wal Mart or another place. Measure how much you drained, and then make sure you refill the same amount

I have used that method every fall ever since the PITA of getting the fluid level correct, and can do the job in under 15 minutes.

Ideally, Toyota dealers would have a transmssion fluid exchange device like this one

MotorVac | > TRANSTECH IV

a similar machine is at most GM dealerships

However, i do NOT believe the machine replaces the need to drop the pan, especially if the fluid is already black. In that case one had better drop the pan, clean it out, and inspect the pickup screen.

I have heard claims from some "techs" that the machine "reverses" the flow to "flush" the screen. A machine like the TransTech cannot do that, it goes inline at the cooler and simply exchanges the fluid in a 1:1 ratio

I would also avoid - like a dose of the clap - any magic additive or "flush" chemical. Pure snake oi. In most cases they may do no harm, but in some cases you will have problems. Like Engine Rebuild In A Can, pure nonsense

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
I agree 100% Jay.Good tip on measuring the fluid and replacing the exact amount. I have changed my fluid twice and both times I have measured about 3.8 quarts.
Also good tip on additives. You have to be very careful as you can do more harm than good.
The flush machines do a good job of exchanging the fluid through the cooler lines. Some of them measure the fluid and replace the exact amount. Others rely on the operator to top off the trans so you have to be careful. I would always double check fluid levels after a trans flush.
And lastly the only way to back flush a filter would be to run the engine backwards. LOL

Reactions: RomaBoy

·
Premium Member
6,519 Posts
It hard to know exactly how many qts a 'dry' A750F transmission in a FJC actually takes from Toyota's published information, but from what I've been able to gather it's around 11 qts. Someone please correct that if you know the exact amount for sure. Anyway, a 3.8 QT pan drain and refill will replace about 35% of the fluid each time you do it.

That's easy maintenance if you replace exactly what you took out and you will always have about 35% fresh atf in the tranny depending on your drain interval.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
254 Posts
My experience with the past Toyota's I've owned, 95 FZJ80, 1999 100 Series, 2004 100 Series. If you don't tow or offroad then 100K is a good change interval. If you tow then you should change every 50K miles as long as you are not overheating the transmission if you are towing over Toyota's recommendation then you need to change right after the tow. Heat is what kills transmission fluid and then your transmission dies shortly after the fluid. :)

·
Registered
961 Posts

-FJ Florida-
If you tow regularly, I suggest installing an ATF cooler. It's another insurance policy against failure.
Try this for a diy flush process.. http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...on-aids/96199-diy-auto-tranmission-flush.html
HTH..

1 - 20 of 34 Posts