Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed some lightforce lights on the front of my 2011 fj and i am having problems with them. I wired them using a relay and used the power for the high beam to trip the relay since i want them to come on with the high beams. I was having problems with the drl's turning them on so i disconnected the gray connector to turn them off. This works great at night but during the day the new aux lights are on when the lights are off, and they turn off when i turn the lights on.

What can i do to have them work the same as they do at night?

thanks!
-Matt

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
I'd pull the DRL Relay and see what happens.

Which wire are you using to trip the lights? Are you using the Blue/Red High Beam power from the DIM Relay?

·
Registered
947 Posts
The DRLs use the high beam circuit... meaning that your DRL are actually your high beams passed through a huge resistor to make them a bit dimmer.

What you can do instead is reconnect the DRL grey plug. If you disconnect the plug, the current source will go through your aux lights (what you have now).

Since the DRL is connected, you noticed that the aux light turns on with the DRLs. This is because there is a small amount of voltage leak ~4V which is tripping your relay (should turn on at 12V, but it can be triggered much lower). What you need to do is stick in a resistor on the relay supply to dissipate the voltage leak. I dont have hard numbers but radioshack used to sell a resistor variety pack for like $2... something along a 100k resistor should do it.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'd pull the DRL Relay and see what happens.

Which wire are you using to trip the lights? Are you using the Blue/Red High Beam power from the DIM Relay?
Mine did the same thing when I first tapped that wire , above is the correct wire to tap to have them come on with your high beams .

If you leave the wiring the way it is and unplug your drl's your aux lights will be on all the time like the drl's .

Pumbaa is dead on , tap the blue & red stipe wire on the drivers headlight and you'll have them turn on with just the high beams .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts