Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went into my local parts place today, and pretty much learned that a lot of the FJ parts won't fit on the 2011 model. The downside of this is I own a 2011 army green. My question is, does anyone have any suggestions of companies that are offering 2011 parts? Also, does anyone know what parts are compatible with older models? Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm looking for sliders right now. I was told that 07-10 sliders won't fit. Also, I priced out my lift yesterday, and it is specific to 2011. I guess I need to do my research before I buy parts from other members.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I'm looking for sliders right now. I was told that 07-10 sliders won't fit. Also, I priced out my lift yesterday, and it is specific to 2011. I guess I need to do my research before I buy parts from other members.
Changes from 2010 to 2011 were really minor.. interior changes. I highly doubt that there were suspension changes or frame mounting point changes.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Changes from 2010 to 2011 were really minor.. interior changes. I highly doubt that there were suspension changes or frame mounting point changes.
That's kind of what I was thinking also. I wanted some forum feedback because I'm new to my FJ, and have only talked to my local 4x4 shop.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I would talk to Toyota parts first. If part number is the same for whatever component you have in question, then you are good to go. I am almost positive that sliders will fit all years, same with suspension components, with exception for sway bar relocators that are different from 2007-2009. Shocks, coils, coilovers, spacers, etc are all the same from 2007 to 2011... Body armor will be different (bash plate), everything else is the same. You will need to get same bash plate as for 2010. Also LCA armor is different. Front aftermarket bumpers are different for 2007-2009 and 2010-2011, mounting hardware if i am not mistaken. Rear bumpers are the same. What else is there :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I can tell you that the rear 2011 floor mats ARE NOT compatible with 2010s and earlier. The rear mats in 2011s are attached via snaps mounted to the rear floor (in front of the rear seat).

Also, the second horn modification will NOT work as it does in the 2010s and earlier as the wiring harness is different under the hood of the 2011s. I don't have any information as to how a second horn can be installed, either.

I know you asked which parts ARE compatible and I cannot offer any advice in that area as I am not modding right now, but hopefully my information regarding the floor mats and second horn will help others on this forum!

·
Registered
3,153 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ivan 70--I have been unable to find any information regarding a second horn for a 2011. Yes, I read that thread before I even purchased my 2011.

Where is the information you have regarding the 2011s and the second horn since that is what my original post in this thread was about...

G.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I've got a 2011 army green and every time I go into the dealership I just tell em to look up a 2010 and then I order my parts. No problems at all. Sliders, exhaust, lift/level kit, roof rack, and they all fit just fine.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Note one of the biggest changes is in the audio system; the Upgrade Package system now uses an amp for the rear channels, so the old trick of just adding rear speakers in the factory locations no longer works.

(The wire harnesses are there, but as the amp is missing, there's no point.)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Note one of the biggest changes is in the audio system; the Upgrade Package system now uses an amp for the rear channels, so the old trick of just adding rear speakers in the factory locations no longer works.

(The wire harnesses are there, but as the amp is missing, there's no point.)
And as the amp is connected via AVC-LAN not analog, you need super special equipment to replace it. If you even can.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Ivan 70--I have been unable to find any information regarding a second horn for a 2011. Yes, I read that thread before I even purchased my 2011.

Where is the information you have regarding the 2011s and the second horn since that is what my original post in this thread was about...

G.
I don`t believe there were any changes in wiring under the hood... That`s why i pointed you to that thread. Refer to the pictures and see if you can find plug for it. 2010 and 2011 are pretty much the same except interior changes and changes in the audio/electronics department.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thank you, Ivan70, for helping!

There is another forum member who posted in the Electronics section that he purchased a 2011 FJ and also purchased the second horn from his dealership. He was unable to locate the harness and went as far as taking it to the dealership and had a tech try to locate the harness. No success. That forum member posted wanting to know if anyone knows where exactly the second horn harness is for 2011s.

Under the hood of my 2011 there is no wiring harness in the same location as the 2010s and earlier (for the second horn). I used the photos as a guide to no avail...

G.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The underhood wiring on the 2011 is definitely NOT the same as the 2010 or 2007-2009.

On my 2011, I took off all the tape from the wiring on the psgr. side under the hood running along the fender from the firewall forward to where the air intake is. Yes, there is a lot of tape and there are lots of bulges under the tape, but when exposed they are just folded wires.

There absolutely is not a harness or extra wire for a second horn. I had a 2007 and am aware of the second horn wire location for pre-2011 models.

Please someone with actual experience with a 2011, prove me wrong. Where is the plug and play for the second horn on a 2011?

I bought a second horn to install via 'plug in' based on what people with thousands of posts stated and on experience with a 2007 model. That was my mistake. I should have removed all the tape first.

I know you can cut and splice if you know where to cut and splice, but there again, people refer you to a thread from 2007. Is there anything that specifically addresses the procedure on the wiring in a 2011. Ideally it would be plug and play as I do not want to start cutting into wires under the hood as, on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being electrically competent, I am a 1.5.

However, if there truely is not a 'plug and play' way, perhaps someone who has specifically hooked up a second horn on a 2011 can do a 'step by step' for ignorants like myself. Thanks for your help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts