Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up an AFE Pro5R (oiled) filter today and can't believe the noticeable difference in size. The quality of the product is bar-none. I had a K&N before on a previous car and IMO, the AFE seems better. I took some pictures of the factory air filter and the new AFE filter for comparison.

I chose this route rather than the CAI, because of cost and minimal gains with CAI. IMO, the drop in AFE/K&N that are out there, are great for additional air-flow and possible mpg gains.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Nice job. Smaller filter means more Volume of air for your box and throttle body. Now take that pre-filter gauze off of the inside top lid. Unless U feel U really need it.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Iceberg, I was wondering about that. Is it just a screen? Will it improve more air flow?

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's extra filtering if that's a word. Over kill is what I call it, Unless you drive the Baja 500 Everyday. By removing it should allow more air. Besides, You bought A performance filter, Let It Perform. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
6,519 Posts
Several members have removed the secondary filter on the air intake and noted no differences at all in performance, sound, or mpg even when measured with their scangauges.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
477 Posts
Thanks DEWFPO.
Also, I've used the K&N air filter before and didn't notice any difference in performance or mileage either.
For now, I'll stay with the stock setup until there is more data from AZFJ25,etc. .

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would keep the secondary on as insurance. To me it is not worth risking the reliability of your engine for a few potential ponies.

·
Registered
560 Posts
With 2010 and up there is really no reason to buy a CAI. Buying a high flow filter is the best you can do for it. The factory setup is pretty much a CAI. One of the best factory setups out there for being as close to cold air intake as possible.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
With 2010 and up there is really no reason to buy a CAI. Buying a high flow filter is the best you can do for it. The factory setup is pretty much a CAI. One of the best factory setups out there for being as close to cold air intake as possible.
Diddo. So I ran one take through my car with the aFe installed and here are the preliminary results:

*OEM Filter/Box set up
*Removal of top meshing from inside filter box (white screen)-Defiantly worth the airspace once it's removed
*Installed aFe Pro5R

*Increase of sound (Just like CAI) you can hear is sucking for air at idle and running through gears.
*Slight increase in throttle response
*Can't tell completely since I have the TRD exhaust installed, but cabin sound had slight increase
*I'm not going to say I can "really" tell power increase of HP, but I feel there may be a hair bit :simmadown:
*+1.5 mpg, Prior to install 21mpg.. With aFe 22.5. Will verify again with second fill up yesterday.

Overall I feel the design is just like a CAI. If you take what's available now for the 2007-2009, you see CAI with filter enclosures. With the same factory set up, you increase airflow with the aFe and IMO it's just a mirror image of a $350 set-up (not knocking anyone with CAI, just a cheaper alternative). I have not done actual dino with the the new filter, but I'm sold that there is some benefit to increased hp/mpg and sound.

·
Registered
206 Posts
ordered my AFE yesterday and waiting for it.. Just a little idea i did with my other car and it worked. I changed the Tube after the filter box with a straight silicon tube. I was wondering if anyone did it or has an idea if its worth it.

·
Registered
560 Posts
ordered my AFE yesterday and waiting for it.. Just a little idea i did with my other car and it worked. I changed the Tube after the filter box with a straight silicon tube. I was wondering if anyone did it or has an idea if its worth it.
You can pull out the baffles and cap the 2 holes off with 2 3/8" post caps from any hardware store. Posts 66 and 67 show and explain...

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/general-discussion/114552-free-mods-youve-done-list-em-7.html#post1789082

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
You can pull out the baffles and cap the 2 holes off with 2 3/8" post caps from any hardware store. Posts 66 and 67 show and explain...

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/general-discussion/114552-free-mods-youve-done-list-em-7.html#post1789082
So, is this recommended that it would improve additional air intake? What would the down side be of removing the baffle? Are many of you running this with it being capped? I'm interested in doing this, just don't want to cause any engine problems. Is there going to be a problem with capping the vaccum hose, doesn't the engine need this to read correct air intake?...

Feeback?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Please explain to me how an air filter that flows more air, increases MPG. If it were a carbureted engine, then yes I guess it would, but it would put the mixture in a lean state. With microprocessor fuel management systems,doesn't more air signal the computer to flow more fuel to keep the air/fuel ratio the same?

Ken

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
You right. More air requires more fuel which gives you more power. Power vs mpg is always a trade off, you sacrifice one for the other. That is how my supercharger works. :)

Please explain to me how an air filter that flows more air, increases MPG. If it were a carbureted engine, then yes I guess it would, but it put the mixture in a lean state. With microprocessor fuel management systems,doesn't more air signal the computer to flow more fuel to keep the air/fuel ratio the same?

Ken

·
Registered
470 Posts
Does anyone have the model number for the 2010/2011 filter?

·
Premium Member
6,611 Posts
i might try it next time i swap out the filter.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sorry for jacking an old thread but I was think of getting a AFE CAI on my 2007.... So I see there is no need to for 2010 and up. But with the first generation 07-09 I have seen on these threads it has an actual benefit. Is this so thanks in advice. Im in Texas so it gets super hot here!

·
Premium Member
6,519 Posts
Sorry for jacking an old thread but I was think of getting a AFE CAI on my 2007.... So I see there is no need to for 2010 and up. But with the first generation 07-09 I have seen on these threads it has an actual benefit. Is this so thanks in advice. Im in Texas so it gets super hot here!
I have an UltraGauge on my dash and on my 2007 going down the highway, winter or summer, the air intake temp is only 6 degrees warmer than ambient. I consider that a CAI from the factory.:grin

DEWFPO

1 - 20 of 21 Posts