Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I just bought a new 2011 FJ Cruiser (factory spec without upgrade) a couple of days ago and the salesman told me when the doors are opened unauthorised (not by the key) alarm will sound and aparently there is no way of demonstrating this function. When I got home and read through the user's manual it doesn't mention anything else about its security features other than the engine immobiliser and the "panic button" on the remote control key.

Could anyone please tell me if the vehicle comes out of the factory with alarm installed and if yes, how it works, or I should have my own security kit installed by a professional. Thank you all.:mecry:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think an easy way to figure this out would be to sit in the car, key in your hand, close all doors, press lock button on key, wait a minute or two, then unlock door manually (by lever, not switch) and open door.

·
Premium Member
16,932 Posts
Congrats and welcome aboard!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Glenmonte I have just tried out and it doesn't have alarm installed. How much can you trust a salesman these days. Anyway I will have alarm professionally installed later.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Don't worry, I don't have one either. I was going to have it installed before I picked it up, but the dealer said some number like $700. I laughed and told him I'd get an aftermarket. I may go back for a VIP one with remote start if the price changes, though.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Interesting thread when you look through your window with the doors locked do you have a red light blinking inside?

I thought FED regulated that all cars after some year were required to have a disable system for theft without a key?

I will check mine today.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Interesting thread when you look through your window with the doors locked do you have a red light blinking inside?

I thought FED regulated that all cars after some year were required to have a disable system for theft without a key?

I will check mine today.
They did that’s why there is a RFID chip in your key. When you go to start the car the car sends a pulse that activates a sympathetic transmitter in the key an it transmits it’s serial #. the car checks its database and if it recognizes the # it will start. if not the car will crank but not start.

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the new rig.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I noticed that there are a few threads previously started about the differences between the VIP system and an aftermarket, but these threads are a few years old. Considering the VIP system may have changed and there are new aftermarkets out there, can anybody recommend an alarm? I like that the VIP system is integrated into the key (the 2011 has the key fob built into the key), and comes with remote start. I would also like some features that I've seen on other cars (Lexus, actually) like holding a button to roll down the windows.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Is that a newly designed spare tire cover? Blech!!

KyFJGuy

·
Registered
446 Posts
Is the center piece of your rear bumper OE ? I like the fog lamps on it and the positioning of the reg plate ? Is this how all 2011's are in the US ?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I know this thread is a little old, but I've seen some good price deals on the factory vip alarms. Has anyone purchased and installed themselves ? Also, anyone know about adding the autolock feature as well. I just purchased a 2011 FJ this past weekend.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Congrats on the new ride and Welcome to the forums!

:cheers:

·
Registered
809 Posts
I've installed the vip. It is not bad at all. Plan on about 3hrs. I think there is an auto-door locking feature that can be programmed by the dealer. I don't recall for sure though. I would recommend an aftermarket remote start. The range on the key is pretty weak.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts