Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the later model stock stereo is plug and play in 2008? Would like the Bluetooth/Sat radio feature of newer models, while maintaining stock appearance, still utilizing the steering wheel volume/mode controls.

Recently bought the 08 with intention of dealer installing sub. If I could swap factory for newer Bluetooth capable factory, be perfect. If have to replace stock with aftermarket, probably redo all components.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The 2011 stereo stock and upgrade use the CAN bus for the steering wheel controls which includes the bluetooth controls on the steering wheel. I believe the 2008 does not have the steering wheel controls for the bluetooth, which it needs to use.

At least one of the bluetooth buttons is not reproduced on the stereo itself.

Moreover the 2011 uses AVC-LAN to communicate with the other modules in the stereo. which includes the multimedia interface ECU assembly in the 2011 dash.

Without all of this I believe you cannot make the 2011 stock stereo work.
This would not be a plug and play job, and might be completely impossible to get working at all let alone properly.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That being said, I hope I'm not making a mistake by putting sub in, with factory stereo. Most of the aftermarket Bluetooth capable have an asterisk by "steering wheel control capable", and don't want a cobble-a-thon. Can live without. Thanks again for you reply.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
The subwoofer won't be a problem, but nebbish is right about the head unit being different in it's connections to other parts of the audio system.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any suggestions to a stock replacement head unit? Would like Bluetooth, minus steering wheel controls, SAT radio. Could do without navigation/cd. My biggest issue is I'd like for it to appear stock, would prefer redoing with newer model FJammer, but that doesn't appear to be feasible, economically speaking. Most of what comes up on searches, is all discontinued.

Have queried several local shops, and haven't even received reply, in regards to dynamat, stock replacement head unit, stock speaker replacement, subwoofer add (again stock appearing). Dealer pretty much said they have no one to suggest. Anyone know of decent shop in Ok?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts