Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive seen posts here on how to disable the DRLs.

I am a new 2011 owner and can't see how to enable them. I always drive with my headlights on for increased visibility.

I realize not everyone appreciates the DRLs but I sure would.

Any tips? Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
I not sure I understand your question, when I turn on my 2011 FJ the headlights turn on also, the rear tail lights and cluster lights do not.

·
Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser 6MT Sunfusion
244 Posts
I seem to remember that some of the really bare bones,stripped down packages do not have a bunch of the gadgets that most FJ owners take for granted. Example would be DRL's,rear wiper,electric mirrors,privacy glass just to name a few. Would your FJ fall into the "bare bones" classification?

Bibb in San Antonio

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
IF you should have them and they're not working, check your hand brake. If it's up one notch the drls won't work. REALLY!! ..........:cheers:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry I wasn't clear. Posting before caffeine is dicey. My FJ has an upgrade and convenience package. No DRLs though.

I checked the stickers of other FJs I test drove and no DRLs either.

Ironic I want them and don't have them while others have them and can't wait to disable them.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
just looked at my window sticker, RL Daytime Running Lights $40.00.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Just a thought, but perhaps if you were to just turn your lights on when you start your truck (automatically, kinda like putting on your seat belt) it would resolve the problem? And even if you forget to turn them off when leaving the vehicle, they automatically turn off after 30 mins or so. Tah - Dah!!!!!!

Or even better, just leave them on all the time, they'll come on when you start the truck and automatically shut off after a while when you leave it.

God, I amaze myself! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Jerry:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
I leave my lights on all the time just so I can see the gauges during the day. Otherwise they are hard to read. Yes they turn off a few minutes after you stop the car, or if you lock it via the FOB a second time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
DRLs are not included in either the Upgrade or the Convenience package.

They are a completely separate option.

If you want them, you have to add them as you would add floor mats.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup makes sense. Strange thing is I called the dealership and spoke to both sales and parts and the only thing they could come up with was that it's a factory installed only option. Doesn't seem right though.

·
Registered
83 Posts
ok..someone suggested leaving your lights on all the time...it's true that they shut off automagically, but if you tap the lock button fast twice they don't wait to shut off...they just go off right away.

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
I have DRL on my 2011 and the 1-click trick does not work. Lights stay on.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
try two clicks :) Oh, your FJ has to be turned off, do the click, then turn on. Engaging the e-brake will turn them off if they are already on

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The only reason leaving the headlights on is not going to work for me is that when you put the headlights on, the radio display dims and in daylight becomes unusable.

Otherwise I'd be all over it.
:-(

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
i took out my drl in my 2011... if you want the module let me know i think 20 bucks is fair...

let me know...

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
The only reason leaving the headlights on is not going to work for me is that when you put the headlights on, the radio display dims and in daylight becomes unusable.

Otherwise I'd be all over it.
:-(
hmmm, mine doesn't do that

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am the owner of a 2011 FJ without DRLs also. I wanted them but none were available in April. I wanted the upgrade package, so that really cut down on the number of FJs to choose from. I looked into adding them to the vehicle after the fact and it is kind of expensive. I think it was about $240 for the parts. Somebody else was was discussing it on the forum here in the past. You might do a search on it. Somebody suggested installing the Canadian running light modification which turns on side marker lights while running. Apparently when you import a vehicle to Canada, you have to modify the lights, so there are kits to do so.

I live in an area that has large trees near the roadway and when you go into and come out of the shadows other people sometimes do not see you in the deep shadows, especially if they are in bright sunlight. I have tried running with the headlights on but then the lighting for the radio and the outside temp gauge, compass, etc is dimmed as if it is nighttime. (plus wearing sunglasses) If I could bypass the dash lighting dimmer and use it both day and night, I would use that.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Do you have the FJammer or something else for the radio? I can't remember if they still have the FJammer for the 2011.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts