Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

2011 oil filter and oil brands

21K views 49 replies 24 participants last post by  51062 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone have any advice on filter brands and oil brands for my 2011 FJ when the first oil change comes due?

Amsoil seems to be very, very popular. Is there another brand of filter worthy of consideration for my 2011 FJ? Wix? Purolator? Anything?

Also, I'm not sure what to make of Toyota's 0W-20 oil requirement. Is that best in the Florida heat? I suppose Toyota knows best? Mobil-1 full synthetic 0W-20?

I do tow a light load sometimes, and I am in a lot of stop and go traffic.

Also, I am not towing during the first 5k miles, but I am wondering if I should wait 5k miles before the first oil change? Should I change it at 1k or 2.5k or wait until 5k?

Thanks.

-FJ Florida-

#2 ·
Don't tow for the first 5K. Use the recommended oil and if you feel you are driving under the severe conditions change at 5K. I would have the dealer do the changes for you, good for records if you have a warranty claim. If you are doing it yourself then get the filter from Toyota ( they use really good filters) if you want to buy the oil get the Mobil1 0w20. Don't try and out do the Toyota engineers that designed your vehicle, follow their recommendations in the owners manual.

#3 ·
I don't know about the 2011, but my 2010 says change synthetic oil every 10,000 miles. In this day and age, oil companies have done great things with oil and oil blends. I really don't think you need to change oil like in the old days. I really don't think Toyota is willing to go to 10,000 miles before oil changes, and risk anything. They don't like warrenty claims!!!!!
jax':wave:

#5 ·
Thanks for the recommendations guys. If the Toyota filter and Mobil 1 0W-20 oil is the way to go, I definitely will.

I have no intention of towing in the first 5k miles. It just seems like a not-so-smart idea to me. Unfortunately, I only put 6k miles per year on my vehicle!

Why does Toyota offer a TRD performance filter? If it is "better" at filtering, shouldn't I use something like that considering my towing and stop-and-go driving conditions? If it filters "better" shouldn't everyone use it?

I still wonder if I should change the oil during the break in period before the first scheduled 5k interval. Maybe I am just paranoid about the break in period.

Any and all feedback welcome.

-FJ Florida-

#8 · (Edited)
Not that I need it with 900 miles on our FJ.. but called around for oil prices.. seems the dealer was a good deal at $7/qt for Toyota brand 0-20. A couple other retailers were $8 for M1.

Was at walmart today.. M1 0-20 was $6.50/qt. They also had a 5qt M1 0-20 jug for $23 ( <$5/qt). Bought 2 5 gallon jug..not that I need it.. but figured good to have on hand.

I have no issue with 10k oil changes.. have it on my Audi TT quattro turbo - 10k on conventional oil. No problems in 120,000 so far! I figure if Audi can do 10k on conventional oil.. Toyota can do 10k with synthetic.

#9 ·
Not that I need it with 900 miles on our FJ.. but called around for oil prices.. seems the dealer was a good deal at $7/qt for Toyota brand 0-20. A couple other retailers were $8 for M1.

Was at walmart today.. M1 0-20 was $6.50/qt. They also had a 5qt M1 0-20 jug for $23 ( <$5/qt). Bought 2 5 gallon jug..not that I need it.. but figured good to have on hand.

I have no issue with 10k oil changes.. have it on my Audi TT quattro turbo - 10k on conventional oil. No problems in 120,000 so far! I figure if Audi can do it on conventional oil.. Toyota can do it with conventional.
its synthetic

#11 ·
toyota element filter 04152-yzza5 and Mobil 1 0w20 is the way to go.my first oil change i did was @1006 miles 3/18/2011.i parted the filter folds and saw some metal particles in a few of the folds,just as i read it's best to change at the first 1000 instead of waiting for the 5000.i'm going to change it again @2000 and then go with the 5000 miles intervals.

#12 · (Edited)
OK, paranoia is setting in on me now. I just hit 1,000 miles. Any other opinions here about whether I should change the oil now or wait until 5k or even 10k as specified in the owner's manual and maintenance schedule? I can't believe Toyota recommends 10k miles during the break in period, but it seems they should know what they are doing. The metal particles mentioned above make me paranoid.

-FJ Florida-

#13 ·
While new engines do wear much less than before with all the cnc machining and tolerances, wear is wear, and I dont think the FJ engine is pre-broken in for a few hundred miles prior to first use. Stated OCI is fine... filter is doing its job if you see metal in it and none in the oil! But if you want to take the over the top precaution, change out your fluids when you think the break in period is over. My oil (conventional I think for 08) at around 2k mi was jet black and I changed it out asap.

#14 ·
OK. After reading this post I had to go outside and check my oil at 1,000 miles. I pulled the dipstick, which is about the longest one I have ever encountered, and the oil is nice and clean. It looks like new oil in fact.

Wondering about the lubrication qualities of 0W-20 oil, I put a drop on two fingers and rubbed them together. Wow, that is very slippery stuff, even if it is thin.

Since Toyota says I can go 10k miles before my first oil change, I figure I am being reasonably conservative changing it at 5k miles or 6 months or when it appears black and dirty, which ever comes first.

-FJ Florida-

#16 ·
I only have 1,100 miles so far, so I have not had the oil changed yet. I have researched how to change the cartridge filter, and I have done my own oil changes for about the past 25 years. Fully prepared to keep doing so as necessary. At 1,100 miles, the factory oil seems very, very clean.

-FJ Florida-

#17 ·
it will look clean but it's not about the clean look of the oil,it's about the micro grid that might slip pass the filter,nothing is 100 % not even the filter,thats why u want to change the oil.i had 1006 miles on my fj when i did it last weekend,you spend alot of money on the truck,don't cheap out to save 50 bucks.50 bucks now or headachs later,save your records on your oil changes

#18 ·
OK. I'll get the stuff. I can't get the filter from Toyota today. Maybe tomorrow (Monday).

Again at 5k and every 5k thereafter? I intend to drive this FJ until the doors fall off, and I want that to be a long time.

Anyone know exactly where the filter is located on the 2011 FJ? It seems to be behind one of the skid plates?

-FJ Florida-

#24 ·
Some owners want to change it more frequently than the dealer does it (10k on 2011 models). So basically in 25k mi, you get 2 oil changes. whoopiee..lol

I would have liked a 5k, 10k then 10k after that. But there are no FJs (or any other car) on the side of the road with seized engines because oil wasn't changed earlier.

Toyota says 10k, thats good enough for me

For cars that require synthetic (2010+ FJs) I would assume they use synthetic, since 0-20 is ONLY available in synthetic (as far as I know)

#30 ·
2010 & up.

DEWFPO

#32 ·
I have 2011 FJ and am from the old school re oil changes. Dealer says with little confidence that Toyota recommends 10K between changes. They cannot answer why the Maintenance Light on dash comes on at 5K. If you look in manual it says specifically that the maint. light comes on to remind us to CHANGE OIL. WTF? Dealer just shrugged and said dont worry about it and reset the light.(instructions to do so in manual)

I'm doing mine at 5K, synthetic Mobile 1 and Toyo filter.

#34 ·
Changed my at 1,700. Missed 1,500 by a few miles.

Here is what Blackstone said.

Unfortunately, we have no way of knowing for sure if this oil was synthetic. We've been seeing
a lot of molybdenum in factory oils lately, so it looks like a special wear-in oil of some type. Universal
averages show typical wear levels for this type of engine after about 5,300 miles on the oil. High wear and
silicon are common in new engines. They are from various parts wearing in and sealants and sand-casted
parts. Things should look normal in 3 or 4 oil changes. No fuel or coolant found. Low insolubles show
normal oil filtration. Nothing unusual to report at 1,777 miles.​

#35 ·
I have a 2011. Maintenance light comes On at 5k because your warranty allows for the dealer to give it a 5k "checkup" where they don't change oil but they sort of look things over, check levels, belts, etc.
Manual says change oil at 10k but like others on this forum, I wasn't comfortable waiting that long at least on the first change with a fresh engine. I changed at 5k. I have a mechanic I trust who got me the Toyota synthetic Eneos brand oil.
At 10k, I'll probably let the dealer change the oil again under warranty.

#36 ·
Toyota is changing the oil & filter as part of their service package on the 2012 for 2 years. You can choose between regular and synthetic oil. Since my office is only 2 blocks from the dealer, will make the changes easy & nice. They even wash the truck after they change the oil!

#37 ·
Since 0-20 oil is only synthetic..its not like we (2010+ owners) get to vote on conventional or synthetic.. :)

I have no problem with 10k oil change interval. Been doing that on my Audi TT turbo for 11+ years on conventional oil. still going strong at 135,000 mi.

10k interval for a Toyota motor is, IMO, quite acceptable. Just ensure it is topped off..and you should be good to go.

#39 · (Edited)
Toyota pays for oil/filter changes on the 2011 as well (at least my most recent service was free), but only at the recommended interval (10K miles).

If you want to change every 5K, you'll pay for every other one.

For the ones I pay for, I have them use the Toyota filter but bring in my own Mobil 1 0W-20 as it's cheaper at Wal-Mart than the price the dealer charges for the Toyota synthetic.

I'm an old-school oil changer, so my oil and filter were changed at 1K, 5K and 10K so far and will be changed again at 15K.

#45 ·
That`s the exact reason why I like to shop online and drop ship right to my door... I`ve been to Walmart all to many times to leave there empty handed...

I really liked the motortcraft 5w30, and they stopped carrying that weight for a long time. I know see that back on the shelves in quart bottle only.

has anyone also noticed that some brands have reduced the size to 1 gallon jugs instead of the 5 quart...

#46 ·
i've been running amsoil 0w30 signature series with and amoil filter (both amsoil recommendations) in my 2007 since i bought it new. i haven't had any problems or knew anyone that has had any from doing the same. but i noticed that amsoil now recommends their 5w30 signature series. any clues why or does anyone know of some upcoming problems? i just got my oil changed today at the local dealership and the lady kept trying to convince me to use a toyota brand filter instead of an amsoil filter and letting me know it will void my warranty if the engine blows because of it.

#47 ·
Has anyone heard of one of these Toyota engines blowing up? I am sure you could run almost any 0w30 or 5w30 oil and filter as long as you changed it on a regular bases and you would get several hundred thousand miles out of these FJC's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.