Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just taken delivery on a new 2011 FJ Cruiser, after doing several configurations on the website. The Toyota configurator site said (and still says) that the OF "Off Road" Package includes alloy wheels and BDG Rugged Trail tires, but my car was delivered with steel wheels and street tires, at the same price.

This was in a way bad news, because the package price did not change to reflect the cheaper components. The good news is that I wanted steelies anyway, so I traded in the tires at a local dealer for BFGs.

So, heads up if you're buying a 2011, don't be surprised if steel wheels show up on the car. This might be a temporary thing, I can't be sure. When you finalize the order paperwork with your salesperson, please make sure that you're clear about what's included in the package if you're not buying a car that you can see and touch first.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Hello & Welcome!

Sorry to hear about all the confusion ~ did the dealer ship say anything about the discrepancies? Glad you're here please post some pics.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello & Welcome!

Sorry to hear about all the confusion ~ did the dealer ship say anything about the discrepancies? Glad you're here please post some pics.
No, there wasn't much they could do but reduce the cost further and they weren't about to do that. I could have placed an order for a different configuration and waited, but I just took what they had. Instant gratification, I think it's called. In the end it cost me about another $1,000 (for 5 new tires), but it was worth it to get my hands on a new one this quickly.

I just picked a Baja rack and had it installed, I'm waiting for the Baja ladder, and Toyota needs to install a hitch, rock rails, and some interior bits and pieces. Once I'm finished equipping it, I'll post some photos. It's Cavalry Blue, which looks suspiciously like an old color that Volvo used to sell!

Thanks for the welcome, I've been using this forum for some research on the car, it's very helpful. Now that I've actually GOT one, I can contribute from time to time.

Chris

·
Registered
264 Posts
I went through all of this with my dealer over and over again. The OF package does not include the BFG AT. The only package that you can get the 16" alloy rims and bfg at tires is the TRD package. However you can not get the TRD package and the Upgrade package together. So if you want the factory a-trac, E locker, and the upgraded sterio and the invertor you have to get the upgrade package. There is only one upgrade package this year also. There does not seem to be a sub or no sub option.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In a way, the package changes make sense to me, but I'm surprised to see that the online configurator is so far out of synch with reality at Toyota. Oh well, the dealers have the final say anyway, I guess.

Chris

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My window sticker says:

OF Off Road Package $740

"Trail-tuned Bilstein Shock Absorbers, Locking Rear Differential, Active Traction Control (A-TRAC), Floating Ball Multi-Information Display with Inclinometer, Compass, and Outside Temperature".

It just ignores the wheel/tire issue.

This was bundled up with the CQ Convenience Package at $2,150 and the Daytime Running Lights at $40.

Chris

·
Premium Member
9,345 Posts
Welcome aboard. :wave:

What color did you get?

Update profile with your location. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
947 Posts
My window sticker says:

OF Off Road Package $740

"Trail-tuned Bilstein Shock Absorbers, Locking Rear Differential, Active Traction Control (A-TRAC), Floating Ball Multi-Information Display with Inclinometer, Compass, and Outside Temperature".

It just ignores the wheel/tire issue.

This was bundled up with the CQ Convenience Package at $2,150 and the Daytime Running Lights at $40.

Chris
Yeah, I thought it was cheaper when I saw the sticker the other day.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have several dealer build sheets with different options and the invoice and msrp if anyone shoping needs a price on a specific option.

·
Registered
245 Posts
My 2008 included the 16" 5 spoke alloys and BFG Rugged Trail Tires on my window sticker as part of the off road package, so it used to be this way and not only for the TRD package. They are just in a year to year constant switch to try to keep cost increases to a minimum.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
So glad I bought mine in 06 when it was pick and choose, built to order. Bummer man, I saw a stripped down TTE at the dealer last year and I asked them WTF?? they said all the options are dealer specified and regional, this thing only had the rims and full Sandstorm color, no hood black, no rack, no lights etc.

·
Registered
936 Posts
:wave: Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a small price decrease ($295) for the off road package, if I remember right the or package used to include the cyclone pre filter also. The rugged trail tires were nothing to get excited about either, so if you wanted steelies anyway and traded out the street tire for ones you wanted maybe its not so bad after all. It is strange how they don't revise their website to reflect the reality on the ground. Enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:wave: Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a small price decrease ($295) for the off road package, if I remember right the or package used to include the cyclone pre filter also. The rugged trail tires were nothing to get excited about either, so if you wanted steelies anyway and traded out the street tire for ones you wanted maybe its not so bad after all. It is strange how they don't revise their website to reflect the reality on the ground. Enjoy your new ride!
Thanks. I was in a rush to get some tires (needed to cross the Cascades day before yesterday) and the only useful tires the dealer had were....the BFG All Terrain. They seem fine to me, at least they got me through the snow on the passes.

I am enjoying the truck, a lot. Been waiting for this for a long time, so I've been saving up a list of "upgrades". I've already got a Baja rack on it, and I've ordered their ladder.

Once I get comparative weights for Warn and ARB Bumpers I'll have to decide which (if any) to get, and then once I have those and the winch installed I'll be ready to venture forth.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Thanks. I was in a rush to get some tires (needed to cross the Cascades day before yesterday) and the only useful tires the dealer had were....the BFG All Terrain. They seem fine to me, at least they got me through the snow on the passes.

I am enjoying the truck, a lot. Been waiting for this for a long time, so I've been saving up a list of "upgrades". I've already got a Baja rack on it, and I've ordered their ladder.

Once I get comparative weights for Warn and ARB Bumpers I'll have to decide which (if any) to get, and then once I have those and the winch installed I'll be ready to venture forth.
The BFG AT's are a good solid tire that work well in most situation, I have never had a tire problem with them other than sometimes you can get a tire that is hard to get a good balance on it.

I also have a Bajarack EXP and am very happy with it. You might want to look at the Aluminess bumper if weight is a issue for you, I have had mine on for over a year now and like it alot also. The ARB is a heavy bumper I don't know much about the warn, there are alot of others out there to consider as well. Just with the tire upgrade alone you are ready to venture forth as the FJ is quite capable stock.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Anyone have thoughts that Toyota is making this switch to steelies to avoid further problems with the wheel shaking thing? I mean if you upgrade the wheels yourself after leaving the lot, they can put the blame there and it's not a warranty issue.

I'm waiting for the 2011's to arrive in my area, and this wheel shake issue is my only cause for hesitation. I want to put some nice rims on it, but not if it's going to bugger up stability.

Not trying to hijack the thread, just trying to figure out why Toyota is making this change mentioned by OP.

Gb

1 - 18 of 18 Posts