Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
If i did this mod and put some K&N prefilter material over the hole where it meets at the fender would that help dirt and debris ect or is that defeating the porpose of the mod?

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If i did this mod and put some K&N prefilter material over the hole where it meets at the fender would that help dirt and debris ect or is that defeating the porpose of the mod?
IMO could be fine depending on the type of prefilter material. As long as it's not very restrictive (like the foam sponge type) I think you'd still notice an improvement.

·
Registered
245 Posts
IMO could be fine depending on the type of prefilter material. As long as it's not very restrictive (like the foam sponge type) I think you'd still notice an improvement.
its the nylon type K&N outerwear prefilter i have extras from quads and dirtbikes

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
its the nylon type K&N outerwear prefilter i have extras from quads and dirtbikes
I'm not sure how restrictive that stuff is. The whole point of the mod is to remove restriction in the intake system, so as long as you end up with a less restrictive setup than what you started with then youre better off.

It only takes maybe 10 minutes to remove the airbox, so Id say do the mod if your interested, then see how it is. After you do it it wouldnt take much work to add the prefilter and see if it hurts. Or vise-versa, start with the prefilter for a while and then remove it and see if theres any more to be had.

·
Registered
60 Posts
So I did this mod today and my check engine light came on. Did you experience the same? Is just a matter of a reset?

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So I did this mod today and my check engine light came on. Did you experience the same? Is just a matter of a reset?
I got no lights. Did you make sure you plugged in everything you unplugged? Also if you keyed the truck on at anytime you had anything unplugged that may trip the light even if the next time you started the truck everything was plugged in. definitely double check your work and then do the reset.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Just a guess, did you unplug your MAF? I think if you unplug your MAF you either need to unplug the battery to reset it or use a scanguage to clear the code.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Just a guess, did you unplug your MAF? I think if you unplug your MAF you either need to unplug the battery to reset it or use a scanguage to clear the code.
I can't Remember but anytime I clean or add something performance wise to the FJ I unplug the battery to reset the computer so it can adjust properly to the new additions

I have no idea if it helps but it's habit

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah, that's definitely it. I took the MAF off to clean it. I'll unplug the battery tomorrow morning.

When I took the rig for a test drive, I didn't feel (or hear) much of a difference, but will wait to judge until I reset the ECU tomorrow.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm not sure how restrictive that stuff is. The whole point of the mod is to remove restriction in the intake system, so as long as you end up with a less restrictive setup than what you started with then youre better off.

It only takes maybe 10 minutes to remove the airbox, so Id say do the mod if your interested, then see how it is. After you do it it wouldnt take much work to add the prefilter and see if it hurts. Or vise-versa, start with the prefilter for a while and then remove it and see if theres any more to be had.
its one of these you can see through them the are extremely high flow...i am a fan of this mod... thanks for some inspiration i was only throwing this idea out there for those whom are concerned about debris i like cheap mods for small thrills... that and it gives me an excuse to sit and stare at my FJ :rocker: and yes they do help keep debris out of filters i ran an open air box on my YFZ450 for a long time and no issues (i'll get a lot of hate for that last part but no worries its a track sl*t and nothing else, plus its mine and not theirs)
kn.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Ditto. You just removed one of the features that helps make the FJ Cruiser an extraordinary off-road machine - the cyclonic pre-filter. So, while you might have helped airflow slightly (and I had zero fuel mileage drop when I added the Cyclonic Pre-filter to my 2007), you have removed a device that allows the FJ to spent more time in the sand and dust without clogging the air filter...

For the street, possibly a slight acceleration benefit. For the trail, a definite loss of efficiency, IMO...
The cyclone pre filter takes out a tremendous amount of grit from the Maryland/ Virginia air that It encounters in my daily commute - after a hundred or so miles the pile of grit is unbelievable. That has got to a valuable asset- especially when off roading in the dirt.
I know that I am easily impressed, but this is a highly desire able spec upgrade for the FJ.......gm

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
^^If you remove the "baffle" section and plug it like mentioned in that link, please at least finish it off correctly and extend the vacuum line back to the intake tract some how. (a simple threaded barb into one of your new "caps" and longer vacuum line is all it would take) I would not recommend capping it with a vacuum plug as shown in the pics. While that may seem ok and work fine 99% of the time on a N/A motor. It is not correct since it was not initially designed that way and could present problems related to over/under fueling for you in the future.

·
Vendor
542 Posts
Isn't the 2010+ intake based on the TRD intake box sans the conical filter element?
I think it is the other way around.

The Gen 2 TRD intake is based on the stock air filter box found in the 2010+ FJ and 4Runner. Uses the same carbon trap and same air filter.

Just FYI, I check the air box in my 2010 4Runner and it does not have that cyclone thing in the inlet.

G

·
Registered
235 Posts
OP-
I just capped the openings and the vacuum plug the other day.

You mentioned possible problems- what is the vacuum pump for and what's the risk?
Not being a douche...just wanna be informed.

Shane

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Hey Shane, you mean the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator? It's pretty important, more so on boosted vehicles (turbo/supercharged) but it controls the fuel pressure in the lines behind the injectors. If you don't have enough fuel pressure or it's can't adjust properly as the engine/conditions determine then you could run the truck lean or rich which could be really bad (as in new engine time bad) or simply throw a check engine light.

Not trying to scare you because we have N/A motors and once I forgot to reconnect mine and drove the truck for a week before I noticed. So if you didn't reconnect it you'll probably be ok but I'd definitely recommend that you hook it back up to be the safest.

·
Registered
235 Posts
lqdchkn- Honestly had no idea what that pump was. i went to oreilleys and got a brass union and some tubing- drilled out the cap an voila!

Thanks!

21 - 40 of 64 Posts