Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, as I was looking into aftermarket suspension, I measured the height of my 2011 FJ (1,600 miles), and I was shocked to find out that it seems to be sitting 1/2" lower on the driver's side than on the passenger's side. A coworker of mine bought a new 2011 2 weeks after I bought mine, and I measured hers today at work. It is perfectly level from left to right.

I verified the air pressure in my tires is exactly correct. I parked the FJ on six of the most level surfaces I could find - freshly poured concrete slabs. All six measurements came out the same - 1/2" lower on the left than on the right. I measured two ways - the quick and dirty measurement to the top of the fender flares, and also underneath from the ground to the bottom of the frame. Front driver and rear driver are 1/2" lower no matter how I measure it or what surface it is on. The best measurement I got was from ground to frame at just a hair under 1/2 inch.

This situation seems very odd to me since my coworker's FJ is perfectly level from left to right?

I am on the phone with Toyota customer service right now because the service manager at the dealership looked at it and measured it and said he didn't see any difference. Um, I do. I have seen it six times today.

By the way, the truck isn't sagging because of my weight - I'm just about normal, not a football linebacker or sumo wrestler.

I looked at it from the front today, and I swear the 1/2" difference is visible to my eye.

Toyota has assigned a case number to me, and they said I should hear something within 3 days.

Ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions? Similar issues anyone? Is this within normal limits?

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I think you are going to find out that, that is normal..... I've got 5,500 miles on my '10 TT, and the same thing....
That's why Toytec and OME have spacers for sale with their lift kits.
Jax':wave:

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Yep, the driver's side lean is a pretty common thing. It's due to the gas tank and battery being on the drivers side. If your coworker's isn't leaning could be she has a low tank (<1/4 tank left), or if she has fewer miles it could be due to her coils not settling yet.

Either way it's within spec. When you do your lift look into getting a top plate spacer. Like someone above said OME and ToyTec offer the spacers (check out ToyTec's website) in order to correct this.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, the driver's side lean is a pretty common thing. It's due to the gas tank and battery being on the drivers side. If your coworker's isn't leaning could be she has a low tank (<1/4 tank left), or if she has fewer miles it could be due to her coils not settling yet.

Either way it's within spec. When you do your lift look into getting a top plate spacer. Like someone above said OME and ToyTec offer the spacers (check out ToyTec's website) in order to correct this.
Toytec 1/2 lift spacer will fix that :)
You know, I figured there was a logical explanation - the weight of the side-mounted fuel tank.

Why didn't Toyota advise me that this is normal, and also, why didn't Toyota spend a few bucks and level the [email protected]*n thing? Ugh. I'm going to get the suspension redone sometime before the end of the year if all goes well, and I will address the half inch driver side sag at that time.

Thanks folks! :cheers:

-FJ Florida-

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
It's not only the fuel tank. Remember to add the battery, the driver and the rear door pulls the left down when open. There are no comparable items on the right side to pull it down even temp.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's not only the fuel tank. Remember to add the battery, the driver and the rear door pulls the left down when open. There are no comparable items on the right side to pull it down even temp.
Are you saying I need to get a really fat girlfriend for the passenger seat to balance my FJ?

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you get adjustable coilovers it will be very easy to fix :bigthumb:
Yeah, I am working on that. It's in another thread. It's all about time and money. Sigh. I just count myself as lucky to have a new FJ, which replaced a rapidly decaying 10-1/2 year old car. The 'I want' list is killing me though.

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you saying I need to get a really fat girlfriend for the passenger seat to balance my FJ?
No wait, I have THE answer! Two normal sized girlfriends front and rear on the passenger side to level my FJ! :lol:

"You know what I'd do if I had a million dollars?"

"No, what?"

"Two chicks at the same time."

From the movie Office Space.

-FJ Florida-

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
I have the Toytec Ultimate installed on my 2011 and I have 1/2" lower on drivers side. Even adjusting it will not be worth it, what's the point for 1/2"! As previously said, they sit 1/2" because of battery/fuel tank, even with adjustable front shocks, the back will still sit lower after you fiddle with the front...

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
@FJ Florida,

If you get a chance, could you compare your friends FJ with a full tank of gas to yours with a full tank of gas?

It would be interesting if your friends was still level, assuming they are both stock rigs. :confused:

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@FJ Florida,

If you get a chance, could you compare your friends FJ with a full tank of gas to yours with a full tank of gas?

It would be interesting if your friends was still level, assuming they are both stock rigs. :confused:
Yep. I want to measure mine with an empty tank compared to hers with a full tank, and/or full-full and empty-empty.

I already found the Old Man Emu spacer online to handle the sag.

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
73 Posts
a 1/4 inch spacer causes the vehicle to sit 1/2 inch higher due to the change in the angle as it pushes down the arms.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
a 1/4 inch spacer causes the vehicle to sit 1/2 inch higher due to the change in the angle as it pushes down the arms.
Absolutely fascinating. Thanks.

I am such a noooooooooooob with this suspension stuff. I'm learning ... slowly. Bear with me.

-FJ Florida-

1 - 20 of 20 Posts