Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious if this was addressed on the 2011 models? i know it drove many (including me) insane. seemed toyota did not care or never really found a "fix". are the 2011's having this issue?

·
Registered
48 Posts
My 2011 has a minor shimmy at 60. Was going to take it back for tire balancing. Hadn't ran across that issue here. Is it a known problem?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I should add, I test drove 4 2011s and they all had it. It was worse on the TRD tires "Rugged Trail T/A"s? and on the All Terrain T/As. I assumed it was that and did not detect it on my dunlops before I bought the truck.....8-(

·
Registered
93 Posts
Mine has it with Nitto Trail Grapplers and steelies. I assumed it was a balancing issue...but I guess not? It happens right at if I hold it around 60 but I really only notice it on certain roads.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Does it go away at higher speeds? If so, it is a frequency (speed related) issue and it is most likely a balancing issue. The amount of variation in the balancing skill from tire place to tire place might surprise you. Try some place that only deals with tires. Also, I got the warranty when I bought my Nitto's so I can get rebalanced whenever it is required at no charge.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Generally it is a poor balance job. Nissan Pathfinders are notorious for this also. They need to use a "road force balancer". Large heavy wheels can be hard to get balanced. I'm trying to remember the manufacturer of these machines, oh yeah, Hunter. I seem to remember it's a 9000 series.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Checked my tire pressure in my brand new truck purchased last Wednesday. Pressures varied from 32 to 34 right after driving it. Tires have nitrogen from the dealer. Added air to take them all to 36. Definitely less noticeable shimmy on all the same roads. Running the Bridgestone dueler HTs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts