Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

The time has come for the Fifth Annual Thrill on the Hill in Cloudcroft, NM. Join us at one of the most beautiful parts of New Mexico for a thrilling, family packed weekend of Four Wheelin’ and fun in the cool mountain air of Cloudcroft, NM on September 2nd-5th, 2011! The event is open to FJ Cruisers and other Toyota 4X4’s. This event is being sponsored by Desert Sun Toyota, FJCruiserforums.com, All Pro Off-Road.com, MetalTech4x4.com, ToyTecLifts.com, along with several other key sponsors. The trail types will vary from scenic to moderate and include some pretty advanced wheeling! Registration will be $95 per vehicle entry. This will include free camping, RV hook ups, tent camping with showers etc., 2 nights of BBQ’s, one night of live entertainment, Event T-shirt, and one of the BEST FJ events in the South West!!!
There is a maximum of 70 vehicles for this event. There is a limit of 200 people at the campground, so please RSVP ASAP for that too. The campground/base camp is the Camp of the Tall Pines in Weed, NM . We will be open Thursday, September 1st for early arrivals. For more information please visit the Thrill on the Hill 2011 website or contact Brandon Burling, Chris Carr or Rachael Lucero at (575) 437-7530.

Click here to visit our site and begin your enrollment!!
P.S. Registration will end on August 22th. Please get yours in ASAP!!

·
Premium Member
16,450 Posts
Just registered. Looking forward to another great TOTH year!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Registration completed...:clap: See you all there. I will have to miss Fridays activities though :mecry: But I will be there late Friday night. Can't wait!

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Registered!

·
Premium Member
17,642 Posts
Debating about signing up this year.

Just curious on the trails...09 you could pretty much do everything with a stock FJ. I saw the footage of the creekbed in burnt canynon and the note that bluff springs might have some technical spots as well. Just curious to understand if these are one or two difficult spots on the entire trail ride or if the entire trail will be a more challenging than say hanglider hill or upper pendalton?

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
Debating about signing up this year.

Just curious on the trails...09 you could pretty much do everything with a stock FJ. I saw the footage of the creekbed in burnt canynon and the note that bluff springs might have some technical spots as well. Just curious to understand if these are one or two difficult spots on the entire trail ride or if the entire trail will be a more challenging than say hanglider hill or upper pendalton?
Newb, I went last year and I think there are a few technical runs. I just went for one day and the one creek bed run you mentioned was the only spot where it was tricky; however, another group went elsewhere and I think it was a lot more technical all around. The bright green FJ with the silver bumper (can't remember forum name) went with that crew, so you might ask him.

You should go...I am:rocker:

Also, I am pretty sure Sean "TheKeeper" is going from your neck of the woods as well (if you wanted to caravan with someone). He and I are planning on doing another run elsewhere after the TOTH festivities end on Monday.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Brandon and I took in feedback over the past years events and tried to find a little bit for everyone. There are technical runs to go on and several challenging area's but please keep in mind that we do not want to see anyone damage their rigs. This year (although it has been said every year) Is truly going to be the best year yet. Being the Fifth anniversary we plan on making it a good celebration!!! PM if you have any questions and look forward to seeing everyone there. By the way, It was asked in a PM by a few people. Katie and I will tie the knot June 21st

·
Premium Member
17,642 Posts
Newb, I went last year and I think there are a few technical runs. I just went for one day and the one creek bed run you mentioned was the only spot where it was tricky; however, another group went elsewhere and I think it was a lot more technical all around. The bright green FJ with the silver bumper (can't remember forum name) went with that crew, so you might ask him.

You should go...I am:rocker:
CrazyHermit is who you are referencing with the green FJ? Outside of that one creekbed spot it didn't look like there was anything else too challenging on the video. I'd be interested to hear how the other trail is.

Brandon and I took in feedback over the past years events and tried to find a little bit for everyone. There are technical runs to go on and several challenging area's but please keep in mind that we do not want to see anyone damage their rigs. This year (although it has been said every year) Is truly going to be the best year yet. Being the Fifth anniversary we plan on making it a good celebration!!! PM if you have any questions and look forward to seeing everyone there. By the way, It was asked in a PM by a few people. Katie and I will tie the knot June 21st
I fully understand your efforts in trying to find something for everyone. I'm just trying to understand if there will be more difficult trails this year compared to 09 or whats shown in the 2010 video. It sounds like bluff springs is the only more challenging one (where the trail would be consistently difficult instead of just in one spot like the creekbed)? I can appreciate you guys not wanting to see anyone break anything, from an event/personal standpoint and liability, but some participants might be interested in more challenging trails.

Anywhere where I can read about some of the other trails in the area other than your site? Just trying to decide between this, Hot Springs, or a quick weekend trip to Moab (little bit longer to get to). Since I'll be looking to drive +12 hours to one of these locations, I'm trying to ensure I get the best value for my time/money based on what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance for the feedback :bigthumb:. And congratulations on year 5 already...time flys :cheers:

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
Newb, the video guy came with us to the creek bed run. The other guys took the more difficult run (from what I heard), that is why you did not see it in the video.

Also, if you are interested in going to Hot Springs (Superlift), you should check out coming to Southern Cruiser Crawl in late October (and come to TOTH in early September). It is mostly land cruisers, but a fun event thrown by Cotton Landcruisers. Metaltech goes every year.

·
Premium Member
17,642 Posts
Newb, the video guy came with us to the creek bed run. The other guys took the more difficult run (from what I heard), that is why you did not see it in the video.

Also, if you are interested in going to Hot Springs (Superlift), you should check out coming to Southern Cruiser Crawl in late October (and come to TOTH in early September). It is mostly land cruisers, but a fun event thrown by Cotton Landcruisers. Metaltech goes every year.
If I had enough vacation time I would do them all. I switched job functions and don't do as much offshore work now, so I'm not accruing any substantial vacation time. Had originally planned to do moab/colorado in early July, but that ended up getting scrapped when I walked into a deal for a vacation house on Jumby Bay (private island off Antigua) for a week that month.

Only leaves me with a handful of days to play around with and TOTH works well as it is an easy 3 day weekend type event. I'm eager to hear more details on the other trails they might have this year.

·
Registered
52 Posts

This is very true. A group went "somewhere" (Not part of the event) that has not been previously visited in years past. There were more people that were scared to try and just ended up watching. Please keep in mind that we are a few months out and this is the 5th anniversary. If you are looking for a great weekend of fun, friends, family, entertainment, kicking back and relaxing and a great raffle then this is the place to be. If you are looking for crazy runs putting your Toyota vehicle to the most extreme situations that you could possible ever put it into then this may not be that exciting. However, I assure anyone who attends that they will be treated like family and have an absolute blast!!!!! I only have three words that prove it...........................Devil Rum Punch!!!!!! Lol!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
1 - 20 of 81 Posts