Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Toyota, you missed the mark with the mis-built Trail Teams Special Edition. Your Jan/Feb production of 51 FJ Cruisers missing some of the SE package and not catching it until the vehicles were at the port speaks of major issues in your Japan based quality assurance procedures.

Further more, the executive level decision to make these 51 FJ Cruisers available to the general public by calling your mistake the Upgrade Package 3 was another misstep in a company whose reputation is tarnished and whose products are losing ground to domestic manufacturers. To add insult to it, the Not So Special Edition now has a 'Limited Edition Upgrade Package' to make it look as much like a Trail Teams Special Edition is it can without it being a TTSE. Not only that, but you bilk the customer in the process. The Upgrade pkg 3 retails at $3650 and the Limited Edition Upgrade Package retails at $3299. That adds up to $6949 where as the TTSE package is $6745 even after the $250 price increase. The customer is still stuck putting proper shocks on the vehicle and doing without several of the interior items.

Granted Americans may be falling behind in mathematics but hopefully most are smart enough to realize that the NSSE is smoke and mirrors, creating a less capable vehicle for more cost. Your corporate fleecing ploy is more akin to something the US Government might do versus a corporate leader. The FJ lineage is a 4 wheel drive icon, only matched by Jeep and Land Rover. Few companies can make such a claim.

Toyota missed out on an opportunity to make a "real" limited edition. Most of those 51 vehicles already had a buyer locked in to the vehicle. Due to the dearth of information about the 2011 TTSE, those buyers are some of most knowledgeable of your customers. Instead of making a Franken-FJ, you could have arranged for a credit on certain missing items (shocks, wheels, multiball instruments and 115V AC) and a voucher for complimentary labor to replace the non-TTSE parts.

Toyota, you had a golden opportunity to make a lemon into lemonade and you let it go to waste.

·
Registered
493 Posts
So then what should they do?
Crush the 51 cars that came in built wrong, and write them off as a production loss?
Ship them back to Japan, and re-build them with the proper equipment?
What ever Toyota does, is a no-win situation for them.
Someone will not be happy, no matter how they solve this problem.

KyFJGuy

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I don't know why Toyota doesn't just add the SE parts at the port. Doesn't make any sense to me.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I don't know why Toyota doesn't just add the SE parts at the port. Doesn't make any sense to me.
That would make the most sense. Are all the missing options something that
can be added at the port and not the factory?
I bet you would get those that would complain that they were not
properly built "factory" versions then.

KyFJGuy

·
Premium Member
13,655 Posts
huh?

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
That would make the most sense. Are all the missing options something that
can be added at the port and not the factory?
I bet you would get those that would complain that they were not
properly built "factory" versions then.

KyFJGuy
I believe so.
Though, now that i think about it, it would probably take a good while to do this. Suspension, removing front and rear bumpers, removing door panels, etc.
To retrofit the parts would probably take at least 5-7 hours or so.

The 2011 TT edition FJs are similar to the 08s except an all Army green color. Apparently 51 one these came over with (i think) JUST an all Army green color, but stock everything else including steel wheels. So, not a TT edition. Toyota effed up.

·
Premium Member
13,655 Posts
The 2011 TT edition FJs are similar to the 08s except an all Army green color. Apparently 51 one these came over with (i think) JUST an all Army green color, but stock everything else including steel wheels. So, not a TT edition. Toyota effed up.
Clear and simple, thanks.

If I had some spare money kicking around, if I had storage space I wouod buy that and throw it into storage. That would make a great FJ for a collector down the road.

·
Registered
112 Posts
UPDATE Re: 2011 TTSE build mistake

As most of you know, there was a mistake made on shipping the TTSE Fjs to the US. As a result the TTSE production HAS been pushed back to March and the existing Army Green Fjs that are state side will be sold as upgrade package No.3.

The items you will loose from the original TTSE are the following

• Trail Teams Wheels (replaced by standard 17’’
black steel wheel)
• Trail Teams Badging
• Bilstein Shocks
• Roof Rack
• Rock Rails
• Floating Ball Multi‐Information Display
• 115V/400 Watt Rear AC Power Outlet

What you will get is as follows

• Army Green Exterior Color Including Roof Top
• Army Green Door Trim and Fabric Seat Inserts
• Black Bumpers, Grille, Door Handles, and Power
Outside Mirrors with Illuminated Markers
• Electronically Controlled Locking Rear Differential
• Active Traction Control (A‐TRAC)
• Remote Keyless Entry
• Cruise Control
• Auto‐Dimming Rearview Mirror with Integrated
Backup Camera Monitor
• JBL®AM/FM 6‐Disc CD Changer with 11 Speakers
Including Subwoofer
• Leather Trimmed Steering Wheel
• Daytime Running Lights
• Rear Window Wiper
• Rear Privacy Glass

As a result, these units will not be labeled Trail Teams Special Edition and will be re‐priced to reflect the new specifications.

I assure you this information is accurate and up to date as of FEB 21 2011 GST

There is more information avail as far as upgrade options and pricing but I intend to leave that aspect to the local GST dealers.

·
Registered
875 Posts
As this was a goof at the factory, now these army green update package #3 will be very limited editions, won't they?

·
Registered
334 Posts
The only real issue here is for those who were waiting anxiously for their TT's. Those people should be "compensated" in some way - perhaps a special gift or and extra year of free service or SOMETHING to acknowledge Toyota has caused them some headaches.

Outside of that I see nothing wrong with creating a new upgrade #3 package out of the mistakes. It is just 51 vehicles out of millions they sell - they can't stop everything to try and make them what they were supposed to be. Someone will be happy to buy them as they are. In the end, it is just a commodity product.

My concerns are just with the people who put down deposits and made plans around the delivery of their vehicles that are now all messed up. I feel badly for you folks.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm not sure about the Bilstein shocks, but I can tell you a Dealer Rep told me one thing they cannot do at the port is install the floating ball instrument cluster...

·
Registered
112 Posts
I would guess as in any special automotive nitch, something that was made by mistake and sold in numbers as low as this woul dat some point be acollectors item. However, how long before it would net any ROI, I am not sure.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Those people should be "compensated" in some way - perhaps a special gift or and extra year of free service or SOMETHING

My concerns are just with the people who put down deposits and made plans around the delivery of their vehicles that are now all messed up. I feel badly for you folks.

One thing I can say is that Toyota as a whole, cares about customer sat. That said, when the people that are waiting on the TT, when it comes in I am pretty sure they will be able to worth with the local dealer and get something reasonable out of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
An all green FJ w/roof rack landed @ my dealership here in RI. I heard from my parts guy who was adding it to inventory at the time that it was bare bones. I didnt get a close look at it as its in the back row. Should show up on their websit tho.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So, does anyone know for sure if Toyota could install the Floating Ball Muilt-Info Display & the 120v/400-watt AC power outlet at the dealer? I was planning on changing out the roof rack/sliders anyways. Steelies are great, and King Coils are the best, also would be able to get Nitto Terra Grappler tires which are superior to the BFG`s

·
Registered
147 Posts
So, does anyone know for sure if Toyota could install the Floating Ball Muilt-Info Display & the 120v/400-watt AC power outlet at the dealer? I was planning on changing out the roof rack/sliders anyways. Steelies are great, and King Coils are the best, also would be able to get Nitto Terra Grappler tires which are superior to the BFG`s
From other threads, it seems that it's not too hard to add the multi-info display. Under $400 is done yourself. Not sure if Toyota will do it or not. No idea about the power outlet though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts