Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I'm new here to the forum :wave:

What is the story with the 2011 Trails Edition? A dealer tried to pass one off to me that had the same Army Green Paint, but I figured it out as the sticker didn't make sense and the suspension and and wheels were done by an independent shop.

Did Toyota release any legitimate ones? Any information would help.

Thanks in Advance.

SurfCaster

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
As of right now, no TTSEs have been released. There is info/rumor/hearsay of complete TTSEs at ports ready to be release pending the fix of a TPMS sensor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what are the rumor? Why are there Army Green ones with Army green roofs being sold but that are not Trails Edition? Something doesn't sound right.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
what are the rumor? Why are there Army Green ones with Army green roofs being sold but that are not Trails Edition? Something doesn't sound right.
Thses were intended to be TT, but there was some mix up at the factory. The rims, blisten suspension and other TT items never made on the them. So technicly, they can't call them TT. But if you think about, these are probably better than an actual TT. The real stuff the makes the TT different are there. (color matched interior seats, roof, black mirrors and grill), but the stuff that most people re going to get rid of aren't (suspension, rims (well, some get rid of them, not all). So your not paying for stuff your just going to replace. (if you plan on upgrading)

·
Premium Member
4,839 Posts
But if you think about, these are probably better than an actual TT. The real stuff the makes the TT different are there. (color matched interior seats, roof, black mirrors and grill), but the stuff that most people re going to get rid of aren't (suspension, rims (well, some get rid of them, not all). So your not paying for stuff your just going to replace. (if you plan on upgrading)
I agree with this. The only thing I miss on my 2011 NSSE ("not so special edition" for the OP) are the wheels, and the 2010 TRD wheels aren't terrible (removing the chrome rock ring helped). The gauge cluster and AC adapter are missing internally, that's it. The factory bilstein shocks? I put an OME 3-inch lift on mine, so I saved money there.

The main things that I wanted from the 2011 TT - the color-matched roof, blacked out exterior, great interior and excellent sound system - are all there. I can live with what's missing and I've already improved on a couple of things. And to save myself the hassle of explaining the whole NSSE saga I just bought a TT badge and put it on. Only you guys will know the difference, and I saved the window sticker in case I ever sell it so there's no confusion.

I am very interested to hear of cases where the dealers are trying to represent modified NSSE's as TT/SE vehicles during a sale though, we've already seen one case of that here with another forum member.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just bought a TT badge and put it on. Only you guys will know the difference

That is exactly what you should not be doing. Why put the badge on, if your not a TT....

Sounds like you have a sweet truck. Enjoy it for what it is, don't make her into a phoney.

·
Premium Member
4,839 Posts
That is exactly what you should not be doing. Why put the badge on, if your not a TT....

Sounds like you have a sweet truck. Enjoy it for what it is, don't make her into a phoney.
You know, if I had a white-top 4x2 with an auto trans that only carted the kids to school, I'd agree with you. It's obviously not a TT, why play like it is?

Except mine is 99% of a TT (have you seen what's missing? It's trivial) and it's only missing the badge because the factory screwed up. So rather than tell the big long Toyota screw-up saga for everyone who asks why my FJ is different from all the rest that they commonly see (and I've been asked more than a few times), it's easier for them and for me if I just say that it's the 2011 special edition.

The goal isn't to deceive anyone for my own gain, I'm not a dealership trying to hide the fact that it's an option package #3 and mark the price up. And I'm not buying a V6 Camaro and putting a V8 badge on it, I've already put more into my NSSE than what a TT would have cost.

·
Registered
156 Posts

I HAVE TO AGREE HERE! I do not condone this. Sorry Jimmy-Buffett. I'm sure it sucks explaining repeatedly how Toyota screwed up their first batch of TTSE's and instead sent NNSE's. And although the parts missing may be trivial, it is not a TT, whether you upgrade the shocks better than the Bilstein trail tuned or not.

I was really hoping everyone on this forum who purchased an NNSE would never decide to put a Trail Teams badge on their FJ. If I were you I would be proud of my FJ and would purchase a NNSE badge (someone on the forum created one).

·
Premium Member
4,839 Posts
I was really hoping everyone on this forum who purchased an NSSE would never decide to put a Trail Teams badge on their FJ. If I were you I would be proud of my FJ and would purchase a NSSE badge (someone on the forum created one).
I've seen the designs for it, but I hadn't seen anything being sold yet. I'd gladly buy one of those as well and put it on the truck too.

Apparently there's some old Samurai at the Toyota plant that installs the badges after a long ritualistic process, and for some people if that guy and the ritual isn't followed, it's not valid :). Let's be honest here, if Toyota never ships a 2011 TT but I go to great effort to replace what's missing (wheels, factory bilstein's bleh, gauge cluster, rear AC outlet) would everybody be satisfied? I doubt it.

I promise that I have no malicious intent by changing the badging, in my mind I'm only fixing Toyota's mistake and making the explanation of what the truck is a little easier for me and the people who can easily spot the difference between a stock FJ and a NSSE (of which there are many, and quite visible) but don't care about the difference between an NSSE and a TT.

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts
I'm with Jimmy B on this. I have neither a factory TRD or TT. I have all the upgrades except the suspension, wheels and the black out because I knew for a fact that I'd be making my own improvements to the rig. In my own opinion when you make mods for your own rig, it falls under racing development, just not factory racing development. My rig is going to be a trail ready machine as I work on, replacing all what would have been TT. I'm installing a TRD CAI and TRD exhaust, so I'm justified in stamping a TRD decal on my rig. I'm armoring up, lifting, and throwing better suspension for off road, so I think I'm justified in calling my rig part of the Trail Teams.

The only thing I would condone is trying to sell it as a TRD or TT... if I ever sell it, the mods will be clearly stated... besides, you can fake the VIN.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts

I HAVE TO AGREE HERE! I do not condone this. Sorry Jimmy-Buffett. I'm sure it sucks explaining repeatedly how Toyota screwed up their first batch of TTSE's and instead sent NNSE's. And although the parts missing may be trivial, it is not a TT, whether you upgrade the shocks better than the Bilstein trail tuned or not.
Oh geez people. :badrazz: He mearly put on a badge.Once the "real" TT comes out, i doubt anyone here will be able to tell the differance between the factory TT, and one like Jimmy B's.

Jimmy B, don't listen to them. Its your rig and you shold do to it with what you want.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Kinda reminds me of the guys who buy a regular BMW 3 series and slap an M3 badge on it. They will tell you. Oh....I changed this and that..and its the same as an M3.......UMMMMMM.......No it isnt and it never will be. Period.

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts
Kinda reminds me of the guys who buy a regular BMW 3 series and slap an M3 badge on it. They will tell you. Oh....I changed this and that..and its the same as an M3.......UMMMMMM.......No it isnt and it never will be. Period.
Bad comparison. The M3 isn't even close to the same car as a 3 series. It's different body, interior, suspension, motor, exhaust, everything. It's not built like the FJ where the guts are the same and can be highly customized via bolt-on accessories to get the different versions.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Plenty of people scoop up those metal Trail Teams grill badges & put them on FJs, even ones that there never was a TT in that color and/or year. I came from a Mustang background & never agreed with putting Cobra or Saleen badges, bumper, etc. on one that wasnt a real Cobra or Saleen, however I say if the guy wants two small badges on his "almost TT" go for it. Its not like the real TTs have some ground breaking suspension, a factory supercharger installed, exhaust, & other drastic differences. I say that even being a 2010 TT owner and at the time I didnt really know the minimal differences but loved the two tone seats & factory wheels. After all these were intended to be actual TTs and as long as theres no malicious intent like some people may do, its not a bad thing in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Its like the people who put the Rubicon stickers on the hoods of their Sport and Sahara Wranglers...

·
Registered
23 Posts
So trivial, mate its your truck, you paid for it, do with it what you will and don't answer to anyone who questions you for it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
its a unique FJ with a story, and a sweet truck at that. I truly believe that a badge would take the uniqueness and make it an imposter. Its either a TTSE or its not.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts