Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought some 303 Aerospace protectant today and applied it to all the black plastic exterior surfaces on my 2011 FJ. It looks good, and after washing my hands twice, it's still on my hands. They feel like seal skin. I read a thread here about not applying too much, so I put it on a soft cloth and wiped it on as thinly as I could. Then I used another cloth to make sure it got dry. I am hoping it does not streak and/or run when it rains. It isn't supposed to rain for several days, so it will have plenty of time to dry.

My first question would be, is the 303 Aerospace the best protection for the plastic on the exterior of my FJ or is there something better? It is not garage kept, and it gets beaten hard by the Florida sun. I don't want the plastic turning grey and nasty after 6 or 7 years.

Also, I have been using a very convenient polish/wax for the past few washes. It's the spray on Turtle Wax Ice. I love it because it requires no buffing - just wipe on two coats with a micro fiber cloth. Plus it does not leave white powder or leave any white residue on the black plastic. I fear that it's ease of use comes with a price though. Am I really getting the protection that my paint needs? Should I switch to a paste wax and the associated huffing and puffing and buffing? We have coal fired power plants here, and coal dust and tar settle on the truck constantly from the coal trains and from burning the coal. That's a nasty problem that I face in addition to the sun beating the truck to death.

Thanks!

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I hear the 303 is good stuff. If it works, great. Get some latex gloves to put it on next time. You might also look into trim restorer. I used future floor wax on my avalanche. You have to be careful to not get that stuff on your paint though, because it wont come off without compound.

As far as the spray wax, it's ok I guess. I only use it to supplement a good paste wax. It's definitely good to use paste wax at least once a quarter. I'd say use Mothers or McGuiars. Poor boys makes a good wax called Natty's paste wax that I also like and use in my business.

·
Registered
947 Posts
303 works great. I use it on exterior only (for now), spray onto a piece of foam sponge and apply about once every 3 car washes... I still have almost 75% of the spray bottle left after nearly 3 years. Doesnt run, doesnt streak, and supposed to help with UV.

As for the wax, its up to you which to use. I stick with 100% carnuba for now, but the synthetics look pretty good (at a future time maybe).

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Turtle wax ice does NOT last long at all. I've used LOTS of different products and I like Turtle wax Platinum series the best. .......:bigthumb:

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Turtle wax ice does NOT last long at all. I've used LOTS of different products and I like Turtle wax Platinum series the best. .......:bigthumb:
I have been using the liquid wipe on Turtle Wax Ice after every single wash because it just seems like it would not be that durable. It is ooooooooooooh so convenient though!

After I washed today with mild soap (3 weeks after last application), the water did still bead though.

Hmmmmmmmm ... I need UV and coal dust/tar protection. I've always used Blue Coral (a long time ago - seems like they have almost gone under) or Meguire's (recently on other cars).

Several handwashes later, I still have 303 on my hands, LOL. I hope it is that durable outside on the FJ. In fairness to the streaking reported with 303, the Turtle Wax UV protectant that I just used up streaked and spotted like crazy, and it did not last long. That's why I decided to try the 303. Maybe streaking and spotting is just part of the nature of these productes. Next time I go to the beach, I think I'll put the 303 to the test by spraying it all over myself. Hahahahaha! :lol: When I go out into heavy sun fishing in July or August and I apply waterproof sunblock, sometimes I swear it takes 2-3 showers to get the stuff off. So ... maybe we should just coat our FJ's with the same waterproof sunblock we smear all over ourselves. I am joking of course, but I bet the 303 isn't too far off that mark.

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, the 303 Aerospace protectant is serious stuff, and I highly recommend it. It endured 4 weeks of punishment in Florida that included full direct sun except four days of constant pounding rain. No problems. Minimal streaking and spotting. If it does streak or spot, just wipe it smooth with a slightly damp cloth. To save money, buy the refill sizes and put it in your own spray bottles. A little goes a very long way when applied thinly and buffed to dry as directed. So, the 'sticker shock' isn't what it appears to be. I love this stuff. :bigthumb:

-FJ Florida-

1 - 6 of 6 Posts