Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 294 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm considering a trek to Alaska in 2012. Anyone interested in organizing a caravan please sign up or follow, however we do that on this forum.

Maybe this trip could be scheduled to coincide with the Ouray Summit. Anyhow, I hope this idea catches on with others.

MODERATOR EDIT:

This will be an epic thread for an epic journey; whether you can go or not, please help by not posting off-topic or chat posts that don't help move the project forward. Thanks!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Is the specific objective just driving to AK from the lower 48 or are you looking at something like going all the way up to Prudhoe and/or throwing in some wheeling as well? You used to be able to go to Prudhoe, but it required some special permits. I don't know about that now.

I've driven from Atlanta to Fairbanks twice and the return once and I'd love to do it again. I think it would be cool to start at Key West and go all the way to Prudhoe.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure. What wheeling opportunities are up there? honestly I would want to take in some activities, maybe some fishing, hiking, and I want to drive that long dirt road in Denali National park, actually I'm up for anything that won't destroy my vehicle

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
will consider it (I have enough of a difficult time deciding on what I do tomorrow let alone 2 years off!)

·
Registered
954 Posts
What month, how long will it take, how does one prepare? I would love to go, but I have a lot of questions. I always wanted to make this trip. I too will keep a close watch on this thread to see how it pans out. This would be a great adventure.
Alien

·
fka Silverheels
128 Posts
I am subscribing as well. This has been a plan since I got the FJ, but it is a big undertaking that may be easier with others involved. I just want to make it to the Artic Circle! There are some great reports available on this and other forums from folks who have done this so if you are not sure, read up on those and you will get the the bug to head North. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I'm interested in this. I have spoken with several folks in Houston about this and just about everyone has a problem taking off for the amount of time I'm interested in. My initial plans are to take the months of June and July and finishing in time for a few days in Moab before the summit. What time frames/timelines are you planning? Route? I have been looking at going up US25 to Wyoming, then over to Yellowstone and into Montana. Post up what you have planned or think about.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Subscribing. Been wanting to do this for a while. Making an attempt during winter would be an interesting experience.

Not sure. What wheeling opportunities are up there? honestly I would want to take in some activities, maybe some fishing, hiking, and I want to drive that long dirt road in Denali National park, actually I'm up for anything that won't destroy my vehicle
It's been about 7 years since I was in Denali, but they would only let private vehicles drive the first 15 or so miles into the park. You had to take the park bus if you wanted to go the 90 miles to Kantishna. I believe it was due to too many cars making a negative impact on the health of the park. It took the bus about 16 hours to make the 180 mile round-trip, but it was without a doubt the best stretch of "road" I have ever experienced.

For anyone interested in an Arctic Ocean trip, you might want to check this out:

Arctic Ocean Expedition: A solo vehicle adventure to land?s end

·
Registered
389 Posts
I've done the trip on my trusty V-strom back in July- August of 2008. NY to Alaska. No special permits needed to go up the Dalton but to actually put your feet in the Arctic ocean, you do need to ge on a tour bus which drives you past the barriers on the oil fields. Deadhorse is the end of the line, but the ocean is within sight. Very nice trip on the bike. Did encounter a few campers on the Alcan, but barely any. As far as the Dalton, We saw nothing but the infamous truckers. I most deffinetly would like to do this again.

·
Registered
728 Posts
As someone else posted you can't drive that far into Denali NP, I've been told & added to my trip plans the 138 mile dirt road called the Denali Highway, it is the best drive in Alaska. You get a great view of Denali & see animals all along the road (not road kill) Denali Highway, Alaska

·
Registered
936 Posts
:clap: Subscribing to this also, going to Alaska is on my bucket list. A June/July time frame is a go for me and being back in time for the summit would be cool.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
Two years ago, immediately following the 2009 FJ Summit, Radrod57 headed up to Alaska. He took a friend along for part of the trip. There should be a thread buried somewhere but I'm not sure if the pics will still be on it as he has pulled much of his personal stuff off the net. I'll try to find it and post the link if I do.

Yep, found the thread but without pics - - -> http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/2009-fjcruiser-summit/90603-northwest-terr-alaska.html

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Very interested! Subscribed. I did some calculations. From Phoenix to Anchorage, its 3,377. At today’s gas prices and fifteen miles to the gallon it will cost about $1350 for the round trip in gas. The cost in gas is obviously going to be more due to side trips and weather. It’s a seven-day trip if you cover 482 miles a day. Considering the distanced involved I would want to stay for a couple of weeks. Total trip time for me anyway would be 1-month minimum. There will be other costs involved. The price of gas and time from work is going to be a deal breaker for some. I'd like to make this trip and planing is the key! Great idea!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As someone else posted you can't drive that far into Denali NP, I've been told & added to my trip plans the 138 mile dirt road called the Denali Highway, it is the best drive in Alaska. You get a great view of Denali & see animals all along the road (not road kill) Denali Highway, Alaska
That's the one I'm talking about!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Very interested! Subscribed. I did some calculations. From Phoenix to Anchorage, its 3,377. At today’s gas prices and fifteen miles to the gallon it will cost about $1350 for the round trip in gas. The cost in gas is obviously going to be more due to side trips and weather. It’s a seven-day trip if you cover 482 miles a day. Considering the distanced involved I would want to stay for a couple of weeks. Total trip time for me anyway would be 1-month minimum. There will be other costs involved. The price of gas and time from work is going to be a deal breaker for some. I'd like to make this trip and planing is the key! Great idea!
I was just about to calculate all of what you just did. Thanks for the info, much appreciated. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
210 Posts
I think I paid something like $3.56 per gallon yesterday up here. :wave:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What about lodging expenses, or will it be camping every night, that would obviously be the more affordable route, without hotels, I would say be ready for $3500-$4000 total, with emergency cash in pocket, that would cover buying gifts and trinkets along the way.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I put together a few photos of our trip to alaska.
The pic's don't do justice to the magnitude of the landscape, it's something you have to experience yourself.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
I would camp. I know for some camping may not be an option… but I like to camp and I can’t see spending all that time driving to Alaska just to spend it in a hotel room. Should the weather turn for the worse, I have several wall tents that could be setup. As for food, $60 a week will do just fine, of course that depends on what one eats. I would also have a little spending money, but for me I can do this trip for about $2500.

1 - 20 of 294 Posts