Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

141 - 150 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Hey, has anyone seen this? Highway 550 shut down Tuesday night, 7/17 from 8pm to 6am. It says "red mountain pass" but I can't find where this is. North of town or south? If north, that makes for a LONG detour to get into town.

Any locals help us out with some info?

Two Night Closures US HWY 550 Red Mountain Pass | KSUT Public Radio

·
Registered
636 Posts

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
I may be reading it wrong, but it seems like these are two different things.....the second link is to a page about something on "Monday, April 23".

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Oh my....I didn't look at it close enough last night. Now I see the problem...

According to the COTrip 'road work' map, the construction work will be ~here (just north of Ironton Park; which takes the Corkscrew Gulch route off the table as a viable alternate route). Here's a crop from their map --> link.

So, there are really no 'good' ways around it.

Alternate Routes

1. Telluride-Ridgway via 145 & 62
The primary, paved highway route around the construction (which is what anyone with trailers would probably need to do) would be 145 out of Durango, to 62, to Ridgway, then 550 south to Ouray, like this).

If you're up for adventure, there are at least a couple routes, depending on how far they let you go on a given stretch of road...

2. Ophir Pass
For this one, you'd start out on the road to Red Mountain Pass, but turn at the road to Ophir Pass, which is way, way before ever getting close to the construction zone (the Ophir Pass access point is far south of the pass, whereas the construction is far north of it). Then, go through the little town of Ophir, and take 62 to Ridgeway from there and then 550 south to Ouray, like this.

3. Mineral Creek
You could take CR2 out of Silverton, head north on that to go through Animas Forks, and then take the Mineral Creek trail down to 550, and north on that to Ouray, like this.

Checking on some place like TrailDamage.com for the trail descriptions and maps that they have for both Ophir Pass (description and map) and Mineral Creek (description and map) would be wise as well.

Like I said though, at night, either of those alternative routes would be an adventure. They're not necessarily difficult trails (though Mineral Creek is much more challenging from a 'bumpy factor' than Ophir is), but any time you're traveling on one of these trails around here, you have to be very careful (get a flat tire because you were careless about rolling over sharp rocks, and these routes will not be 'short-cuts' in any sense), and the night factor would add a level of complexity that most of us aren't used to in places like this.

Perhaps the best alternative to all of this would be to reorganize your trip to make sure that you get to Red Mountain Pass prior to the construction closure.

On the other hand, the 145/62 route through Ridgway only adds an hour and a half to the trip. So, perhaps that's no big deal anyway, depending on how long you've traveled to get that far in the first place.

Good luck to everyone coming up that way (according to the state DOT, there will likely be annoying delays, even on the days when it's open).
Be safe, and we'll see you in Ouray. :cheers:

·
Registered
218 Posts
I was just in Ouray this week and didn't realize that I was in FJ Paradise until I was noticing an awful lot of FJ's. I was admiring Vince's FJ and started talking to him and realized I had run into your FJ event. I was here to visit my dad who lives in Montrose where I grew up.

2007 Yellow FJ 3.5 lift in front, 2 inch rear, rear locker, skid plates, 34.s Body mount chop, Smiley face rear tire cover and running boards modified by big rocks.
I will join menbership and post pictures Sometime.
Presdent WFO Trailriders in MO. OLD MAN DAVE :wave: WFO Trailriders

·
Registered
218 Posts
141 - 150 of 150 Posts