Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have searched repeatedly and cannot find the information in this forum. Are the factory door speakers really 6x9, or are they actually 6x8's? I know most people cut the old speakers or make new wood mounts. But, there are some quality 6x8's out there that i am thinking they might bolt right in.

DD

·
Registered
8 Posts
My understanding (only based on about 6 hours of research) is that they are in fact 6x9's, however the brackets are over-sized. In order to install a normal 6x9 you need to drill some holes into the OEM bracket and the door panel, there's a pretty good guide on these forums. http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/how-technical-articles/109066-6x9-door-mounted-speakers.html
Though apparently many smaller sizes fit in without any trouble. Personally, I'm looking into a component setup and just having it professionally installed.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Definitely 6x9 and NOT 6x8

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
it looks like 6 1/2 is what fits with a bracket. That or 5 1/4. Go to crutch field website and punch in year make model. They include free install kits for everything and USA phone support so prices are higher.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 5 of 5 Posts