Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See attached pics. It has what I'm looking for (4x4 with rear locker) but I'm worried about frame rust.

Priced at 23k

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,665 Posts
Ummmm.....what rust?

From some of the stuff we have seen on the Forum, that frame is nearly pristine!

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,834 Posts
That's better than some were off the showroom floor.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok guys, I guess I'm a little more anal than I previously thought.

·
Premium Member
11,665 Posts
Not as clean as the first one, the little bit that is showing is easy enough to take care of.

If I were basing my purchase on the frame alone I would have zero issue purchasing either one.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
i think the first one is a LOT better rust wise. You didnt include your location so I am unable to tell what type of conditions it will be subject to going forward.

The first one looks like a southern or rocky mountain vehicle where the owner sprayed any salt off the frame if he/she drove it in the winter (basically looks like mine). second one with it being a 2013...looks like it was either a wetter climate or where the owner never bothered to spray off the salt/sand from the frame.

Without knowing any other factors and assuming the 2012 is cheaper because of higher mileage (10k) and one year older, I would pick that one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i think the first one is a LOT better rust wise. You didnt include your location so I am unable to tell what type of conditions it will be subject to going forward.

The first one looks like a southern or rocky mountain vehicle where the owner sprayed any salt off the frame if he/she drove it in the winter (basically looks like mine). second one with it being a 2013...looks like it was either a wetter climate or where the owner never bothered to spray off the salt/sand from the frame.

Without knowing any other factors and assuming the 2012 is cheaper because of higher mileage (10k) and one year older, I would pick that one.
These were both driven in Texas full time but the second spent a few years closer to the coast.

I'd be keeping them in central TX, no snow and any beach trips get an underbody wash afterwards.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Both sold out from under me, unfortunately.

How about this one? 2010, 107k mi, priced at 20k. 4x4 with diff locker. 3 owners, service records aren't perfect but they aren't terrible. Control arms, ball joints got replaced when it came in to the dealer. There's some body rust on the roof that is concerning.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks like the first one didn't get sold. It's been immaculately maintained.

Otd price is 26.8k, should I pull the trigger?

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
While that last one is also clean from a rust perspective, it doesnt seem worth 20K at all. The windshield top trim was likely replaced with a windshield and is probably just inferior metal from OEM. Kind of an easy fix. It also has a crappy plastidip job on the grille and painted wheels with no caps!?. Seems pretty weather-beaten in all (lights/bumpers/ect), and that Toyota white is SINGLE STAGE paint so if its chalky you would have to do some repairative buffing to get it back to good. I'd pass.

The first one, being a 12 with 95k would fetch about 23K here in Ohio, so I dont know where you are, but they seem pricey in comparison. If it happens to be a LOADED truck...even a Trail Teams, then 26k might be worth it...otherwise certainly seems high despite that amazing underside. If you want to drop an extra fee grand just to own one...a clean one...then by all means go for it. I'm one a few years ago who bought a 50K mile truck for 20, so the premium simply based on year in your case seems a little offputting. I want to say you could get a (last year) 2014 with those miles, or even a 60-70K mile truck for 26 no problem with some more looking.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
While that last one is also clean from a rust perspective, it doesnt seem worth 20K at all. The windshield top trim was likely replaced with a windshield and is probably just inferior metal from OEM. Kind of an easy fix. It also has a crappy plastidip job on the grille and painted wheels with no caps!?. Seems pretty weather-beaten in all (lights/bumpers/ect), and that Toyota white is SINGLE STAGE paint so if its chalky you would have to do some repairative buffing to get it back to good. I'd pass.

The first one, being a 12 with 95k would fetch about 23K here in Ohio, so I dont know where you are, but they seem pricey in comparison. If it happens to be a LOADED truck...even a Trail Teams, then 26k might be worth it...otherwise certainly seems high despite that amazing underside. If you want to drop an extra fee grand just to own one...a clean one...then by all means go for it. I'm one a few years ago who bought a 50K mile truck for 20, so the premium simply based on year in your case seems a little offputting. I want to say you could get a (last year) 2014 with those miles, or even a 60-70K mile truck for 26 no problem with some more looking.
Sorry, I miss typed, 21.8 was the number.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, the first 2012. The carafx is impressive, one owner, oil/filter every 5k, all fluids(diff/tranny/radiator) changed at 50k.
If you are talking about the first 2012, or the second 2013, that seems fair for either.. Id' jump on it if it checks out.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Using aftermarket coatings will dress up and help preserve what you have. I use a couple of brands that keep that underside and frame looking great

·
Registered
40 Posts
Using aftermarket coatings will dress up and help preserve what you have. I use a couple of brands that keep that underside and frame looking great
What stuff are you using? I’m about to clean up and rubberize my undercarriage and frame but if there’s good go to products let me know.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts