Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll just call it Wolverine after my Red Dawn Wolverines! sticker. Plus the original Red Dawn movie just kicks ass.

It's a standard 2012 Trail Teams that I bought on July 30. I traded in my 2012 Calvary Blue FJ that I bought last year when I saw you could finally get the Trail Teams edition on the dealer lots. I couldn't find one before.

Blurry phone pic at the Toyota dealer.

Here it is when I brought it home. My build won't be as hard core as a lot of people's builds...I don't think.

I knew I wanted a winch, and that cascaded into winch bumper, a lift, tires, etc. I had read this forum and a couple of other ones for months back when I had my blue FJ and had already decided on the Icon Stage 1 and ARB Bull Bar. I've always liked the looks of the ARB but I had also read that the install of the ARB Bull Bar on the FJC was kind of a pain. Since I would be doing this alone I decided to let the great guys at MetalTech 4x4 do the install. I ordered everything from them too. They are only about 40 miles from me in Newberg, OR and I had been out to their open house the weekend before to check out the place. Very nice guys and a great facility.

I picked up the Icon Stage 1 lift, Total Chaos UCAs, and MetalTech offset lower links.

This was waiting in the MetalTech back lot for apparently major upgrades, Paul's Last Great Road Trip FJ Cruiser.

Installation of the lift.

Installation of the ARB bumper. Brandon and LT from MetalTech there on the floor doing the heavy lifting. I'll post more about the MetalTech experience I had in another thread.

All the MetalTech parts installed. I already had the winch from another truck, a Warn XD9000.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The next thing I had to decide was tires. I love the BFG AT KOs and have run them on everything from 3 K5 Blazers to a Suzuki Samurai to now the FJ Cruiser. I wanted to go up a size to the 285/75/16s and thought it was time to try something new. I had seen Evil Trunk Monkey (Jeremy)'s Firefly FJC at the MetalTech open house and got to see his Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs first hand. I had already done a ton of reading on those tires and one of my neighbors had them on his Dodge Ram. They have had so many good reviews in print and even on this forum that that's what I decided to get. I picked them up at Discount Tire in Gresham, OR and they gave me an awesome deal on them.

Since I'm a child of the '70s it's always white letters out...always.

You can already see from the pic of the front where I installed my CB antenna. I'll post more on the CB install once I get pictures.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Pretty sweet set up

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey thanks everyone. It's starting to get to where I want it.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
nice rig

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So it was time to get a CB in the rig. I probably spent two months off and on looking at the forum to see where others put their CB in a FJC cab that doesn't have a lot of spare room. From the start I wanted a full size CB. I don't have anything against the handhelds but, as a child of the 70s, I need that full CB with the dials and the knobs and the box and the handset.

I have a Cobra 29 LTD Classic in my K5 Blazer and really like it. However, I really wanted the weather feed option (WX). So I went for the Cobra 29 Nightwatch Weather (29WXNWST). I wanted to be able to put the rear seats down and besides, I'm installing a Tuffy console, so the rear of the console for the mount was out. I didn't want to mess with the headliner to install it on the roof although I really like that location. So for now I have it on the side of the console. It shouldn't interfere with a passenger. If it becomes a problem I'll move it to the roof in front of the mirror.

I had D&R Communication in Clackamas, OR do my install. I was having them mod/tune the CB anyway for more power so I just let them do the install too. They did a great job. Very clean.

They put some foam between the CB and the console so there would be no rattling.

Here's the rest of the parts.
RG-58 18' coax
AUSS-3H spring
Everhardt TSM4 4' Super Flex Tiger top loaded antenna

You can see I haven't mounted the handset yet. I'll probably put the clip in the passenger airbag indicator slot on the main console like others have done. Right now it's just lying in the 4WD boot.

The irony of all of this is that I'm also a HAM although I have never used one. I passed my test a year ago and need to get aboard that HAM train. I'm KF7WAR.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looking good! Did you pee in the radiator yet? Gotta stay true to the movie! :lol:
Ha, well hopefully it'll never come to that. However, Red Dawn is actually an instructional video in the disguise of a movie. Now I know I can pee in the radiator and get to the mountains with my guns when the bad Soviets and Cubans come.

·
Premium Member
16,377 Posts
Nice 2012 TT! Great mods! Metal Tech rocks. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Lookin good.

:cheers:

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Wolverine Build: ARB gets tested. Denali, Impala die.

So I had the ARB Bull Bar on for less than two weeks and I get rear ended on I-84 in stop and go traffic on the way to work by a GMC Denali. The Impala and I was stopped in traffic for a good 3 to 4 seconds and BAM. I didn't even see him coming. He hit me hard too. So hard he pushed me with quite a lot of force into the Impala in front of me and crushed her trunk. I'd guess he was going about 30 or so. He said he looked down for a second and when he looked back up we were all stopped. I think he was f'ing with his phone or something.

So his airbags popped and radiator blew. He had trouble getting out as well since his fender had come back into his door gap. Unfortunately for the girl in front of me she got crushed by my new winch bumper. Everyone was ok and she and I were able to drive away.

My receiver hitch took 90% of the impact but my spare tire took on the Denali's hood. Everything worked fine with the back door afterwards though. The ARB bumper mounts did get tweaked though where I slid up over her gas tank and bumper.

The police officer that came on scene said, "What is that?" I said, "It's a Toyota FJ Cruiser." He said, "Man, that thing is a tank but that front bumper really saved you." I had to agree.

:boohoo:

·
Registered
452 Posts
That it freaking amazing!!! I love it!!! I bet that numbn*t will be watching the road better next time!!! :Big thumb:

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

1 - 20 of 74 Posts