Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,138 Posts
Has anyone purchased the 2013 TTSE with its "TRD 16-in. off-road beadlock-style wheel with black finishing"?

The dealership I am about to buy from told me the chrome-appearing beadlock wheels cannot be outfitted with any other color, because they are not real beadlocks. Apparently "Beadlock-style" means "fake."

I am interested in real beadlock wheels and wonder if Toyota uses this choice of words for marketing, not function.

Your experiences would be helpful.
Just marketing-speak gone wrong. Beadlock-style, fake beadlock, or whatever you want to call them, the 'bling ring' is really more of a rock ring than anything else. Designed to take a hit or rock grinding without making your wheel or valve stem suffer, and easily removable/replaceable. Whoever first uttered the term beadlock in regards to describing these wheels put everyone on the wrong path. They are functional for what they are.

For real DOT-approved beadlocks look no further than Hutchinson's Rock Monster wheels. Not cheap, but very strong and they make the military beadlocks as well. 4WDToyotaOwner magazine runs these on their 80-Series Land Cruiser with 35s and last I heard they were moving up to 37s.

Rock Monster Wheels

·
Registered
81 Posts
skid, look very nice!!!! While waiting for the stop-sale to lift so I can get my 2013 Cement TT, I've been trolling this forum, putting a list of simpler things I can do, and your pics placed doing this at the top of my list!

Since I don't have my FJ, yet, how did you get the rings off?

Dan

·
Registered
222 Posts
rings easily are removed by the proper size torx bit... i used a 1/4 inch drill/driver to speed things up. try to save the clear plastic washers, tho some will be shredded in the removal process.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks 870pilot!

Again, I don't have mine, yet, so I can't go inspect it. :mecry:

Do I understand correctly that each of the 12 'torx screws' in the ring are actual screws, and not just impressions; each need to be removed?

Thanks,
Dan

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Just marketing-speak gone wrong. Beadlock-style, fake beadlock, or whatever you want to call them, the 'bling ring' is really more of a rock ring than anything else. Designed to take a hit or rock grinding without making your wheel or valve stem suffer, and easily removable/replaceable. Whoever first uttered the term beadlock in regards to describing these wheels put everyone on the wrong path. They are functional for what they are.

Rock Monster Wheels
The reasons stated is why I went to OMF and had them modify the wheel I chose ( Mickey Thompson Side Biter) I wanted the ring to protect my wheel investment and protect the valve stem. I have to say looking at those rings right now you can definately tell they are doing there job.

On a side note I think I read somewhere that OMF has the pattern to make replacement rings for the TRD wheels.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great posts! I've decided that I'm not such a big fan of these wheels.

They do a great job at trapping water, dirt, and mud. The only benefit I see is that maybe they will protect the valve stem and wheel a little.

The polished steel rock rings look a little to "blingy." I'd coat mine black, but I know they are eventually going to get totally scraped scratched up by rocks on the trails.

I got a screw stuck in the tire and the Toyota dealer wanted to charge extra for the repair because they said the ring had to be removed for the repair.

Is it necessary to remove the ring to remove the tire?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Does anyone know the size of those Torx bolts? I took the rings off today to clean them, and stripped 3 bolts putting them back on.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts