Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking around here for several months, but this is my first post. My wife and I have been driving BMWs for 30+ years. All manual transmissions. We decided it was time to move into the SUV arena, but the BMW X5s and X3's are all automatics. We started looking around at other options and she fell in LOVE with FJ's. Ended up buying a 2013 Magma in March. M/T, 80k miles, and surprisingly rust free for northern Illinois. Some surface rust on frame welds but that's it.

The downside is that the PO was a smoker. So I pulled the headliner and rented a rug doctor. I was amazed at how dirty the water was from the smoke. The seat covers also smelled and had a couple of burn holes in them, so I replaced the covers with a set of new TTE covers I found here. And as long as the covers were off, I decided to add heated seats. And as long as the seats and the headliner were out, I gutted the rest of the interior and added Siless butyl mat and closed cell sound deadening mat. Added some 1/4" wood flooring underlayment I had laying around on the floor for qood measure. All back together now, smoke free, and looking as good as new. And SO much quieter on the road.

Started blacking out the silver, but still need to do steering wheel and interior door handles. Will also probably upgrade the sound system, but that's about it. No lift or bigger wheels planned at this time. It's her daily driver and will probably stay on the road most of the time. All in I'm now pushing $40k, which is way more than it cost new and seems crazy for a 9 year old vehicle, but she loves it and I know it'll give her many years of trouble-free miles. Worth it? Absolutely!

I enjoyed the project and appreciated the all of the good information I found on this board. Thanks to all who contribute.

And Happy Thanksgiving.

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Wheel Car

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

Asphalt Road surface Body of water Automotive tire Water

Speedometer Vehicle Car Gauge Motor vehicle

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
43,462 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
2010TT AT
1,568 Posts
Hi Scott in Illinois, Welcome from Ohio and Happy Thanksgiving!
I second Bad Wolf, great color 👍

·
Premium Member
4,764 Posts
Welcome from Oregon :)

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
"Howdy!" from Houston!
My absolute favorite color! *
* (Which I will of course deny when within ear-shot of my FJs 🤫)
&
Happy Thanksgiving!

D

·
Premium Member
17,153 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Welcome from Vancouver, BC. Great looking FJ you have there (but then, aren't they all? I know I say this a lot but really, who doesn't agree? ;) ). The blacked out exterior pieces look really good. How many square feet of the Siless butyl mat did it take? Do you have a link for the closed cel foam mat? Where did you use it?
Some of our FJ adventures (my son Scott is the filmmaker)- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMIspHkYseZjgFvz96HkoJg
Enjoy your FJ, wherever the journey may take you. Al

PS- the 3rd pic where you played with making it right hand drive is really cool!:LOL:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ALB-

Good question on how much butyl I used. I only bought one 36 SF box of Siless butyl, but already had a full roll of Raamat left over from another project. I'd guess the roll contained at least as much as two boxes of the Siless, so I probably used ~120SF. Remember that you don't have to cover everything, but you have to add enough mass to reduce the vibration. That often means one layer isn't enough. Butyl went everywhere, floor, roof, doors, inner rear fenders. I put it on anything that didn't sound solid when I tapped on it and often double-layered it.

I bought KILMAT but returned it because it smelled like asphalt.

I used 3 boxes of this as well. The closed cell went on the roof and the rear inner fenders. I would have put in on the floor, too, but already had the wood floor underlayment. I've seen people use carpet padding which should work well, but it's pretty thick. the underlayment is only 1/4" thick and is pretty dense. Weighs more than carpet padding and worked great. The rear floor rattle from the exhaust is gone as is most of the road noise. Wasn't a hard job, just took a bunch of time but was well worth it.

·
Registered
658 Posts
@Scott in Illinois- Thanks for the info. Where did you put 2 layers? Would you have any idea of the sound reduction only using the Siless butyl vs the addition of the wood floor (is it the same as what goes under laminate?) underlay? Al

·
Registered
385 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts