Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this just started today. No codes. When I'm driving at any speed and I push the clutch the engine RPMs drop to nothing and the engine cuts off, like I turned the key off. It starts right up with no issues. Could it be the throttle body sensor or a sensor going from the clutch to the ECU?

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Need more info, what you've stated above doesn't quite make sense.

If the engine "cuts off" as soon as you depress the clutch pedal, how do you get moving from a dead stop (e.g. "when I'm driving at any speed ...")?

Doesn't starting off in first gear entail depressing the clutch pedal?

I'm suspecting that your problem may have nothing to do with the clutch pedal, but may be a problem with the throttle control system not providing enough airflow to maintain a stable idle.

Here's a quick test to see if the clutch has anything to do with the problem. On a level road, maintain a steady speed of 30-40 MPH in 3rd or 4th gear at a low throttle opening, and gently nudge the shift lever into neutral, without touching the clutch pedal. If the engine still dies, then the problem obviously has nothing to do with the clutch.

If the engine maintains a stable idle when the shift lever is nudged into neutral, then depress the clutch and verify that the engine immediately dies. This will confirm that there is somehow a link between the clutch system and the dying idle.

Report back with your findings, and we'll move on to the next diagnostic step.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I figured it out. I was checking vacuum lines, when I noticed that the intake tube running from the air filter to the manifold was loose and I guess it caused the ECU to freak out. It must have worked loose on a road I was driving on that was very rough and washboarded. So I guess I should have clarified that when it cut off it was when I was pushing the clutch in to slow down and come to a stop, but if I tapped the gas I could stop it from cutting off. But you can't really tap the gas if you have to slam on the breaks.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
There are two intake hoses ... one from the air filter box to the MAF sensor, and the second from the MAF sensor to the intake manifold. If the hose from the MAF sensor to the intake manifold develops a leak, some intake air will bypass the MAF sensor, the ECU won't "see" this air, and therefore won't command enough fuel to be injected to maintain a stable idle speed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts