1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
get a carfax on it. google the vin number. That is a '13 Trail Teams model in one of the best colors ever produced. If it checks out without any significant rust or accidents, I would jump on it TODAY at that price.

If it is decent, it will not last long at that price. Clearly this dealer doesnt know what they have.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a good idea, I appreciate the advice guys. The Carfax was included free and it looks clean. First owner put a lot of miles on it but should still be good. They've had it since last September and just lowered the price so that's why I'm worried that it's a lemon.

·
Registered
640 Posts
What timing work. These are chains not belts. Check wheel wells for chain damage and looks like it has TRD exhaust. Look under for rust.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I live close to this place, I'll stop by tomorrow after work and give it a look and take some undercarriage pics.
Wow that's awesome, I appreciate that. I was mistaken about it being on sale since last year. Only for about 2 weeks actually, I'm getting my FJs mixed up. The guy sent me undercarriage pics and there's a bit of surface rust but doesn't look too bad. Also he said the guy who traded it in had a TRD skid plate on it but removed it and didn't include it. Does the trail team edition not come with beefy skidplates?

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,108 Posts
Undercarriage pics, looks like a PA truck to me lol.
Ouch...it does need attention, and soon! But most of it looks surface. One spot on the rear crossmember looks as it the rust may have eaten through, but @gearwrench will be able to give you the definitive word. Hope it works out - she’s a beauty!

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Looks like the undercarriage needs a little TLC but can be recovered. Make sure they get you pics along the frame rails, near the front and in the rear near the the LCA mounts. @gearwrench is an expert and will give you sound advice!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Wow that's awesome, I appreciate that. I was mistaken about it being on sale since last year. Only for about 2 weeks actually, I'm getting my FJs mixed up. The guy sent me undercarriage pics and there's a bit of surface rust but doesn't look too bad. Also he said the guy who traded it in had a TRD skid plate on it but removed it and didn't include it. Does the trail team edition not come with beefy skidplates?
eh...not really. Most people use aftermarket skids in either 3/16" steel or aluminum. There is an alum TRD skid but it only covers the engine..not trans, not transfer case, not fuel tank and not rear diff skid.

To a Colorado guy that looks like a lot of rust that will need to be resolved.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I live close to this place, I'll stop by tomorrow after work and give it a look and take some undercarriage pics.
Hey buddy when you stop in if you are still stopping in ask for me and I will give you the keys and if you even want to drive it for @FJ2689TC we can throw a plate on it and go. I can assure you that it is surface rust and if there was any rust through they would not be selling it. This thing is super clean. Talk to you soon

Trevor

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
So I got a look at this rig and was surprised with its condition. At the price I was expecting trail rash all over the truck but it's pretty clean in that aspect. The OP was concerned with under carriage rust and there is a good bit of it but nothing that is close to being a bad situation. That being said if left alone it's going to be a problem. It has more rust on it than my 08 but I've been pro active with cleaning, treating, and painting my under carriage. It's completely unmolested and is a clean slate for a build which is pretty cool I think. It is a shame how this looks after 5 years on the road and Toyota should be ashamed of the way this looks. It's a bummer that a highly liked rig as this 13 TTSE wasn't taken care of better but maybe the previous owners didn't know any better. If it was me I'd be owning this but I can do the work to bring it back. Hope this helps the OP and good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the advice everyone, I've dealt with a rusty frame before on a Ford ranger and just used a wire brush plus POR 15, that held up very well. I'll definitely be poking every bit of rust when I check it out to make sure there's no major issues.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts