Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

2013 TTSE auto with 101k miles

7K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  racerx43 
#1 ·
#4 ·
That's a good idea, I appreciate the advice guys. The Carfax was included free and it looks clean. First owner put a lot of miles on it but should still be good. They've had it since last September and just lowered the price so that's why I'm worried that it's a lemon.

#8 ·
Wow that's awesome, I appreciate that. I was mistaken about it being on sale since last year. Only for about 2 weeks actually, I'm getting my FJs mixed up. The guy sent me undercarriage pics and there's a bit of surface rust but doesn't look too bad. Also he said the guy who traded it in had a TRD skid plate on it but removed it and didn't include it. Does the trail team edition not come with beefy skidplates?

#16 ·
So I got a look at this rig and was surprised with its condition. At the price I was expecting trail rash all over the truck but it's pretty clean in that aspect. The OP was concerned with under carriage rust and there is a good bit of it but nothing that is close to being a bad situation. That being said if left alone it's going to be a problem. It has more rust on it than my 08 but I've been pro active with cleaning, treating, and painting my under carriage. It's completely unmolested and is a clean slate for a build which is pretty cool I think. It is a shame how this looks after 5 years on the road and Toyota should be ashamed of the way this looks. It's a bummer that a highly liked rig as this 13 TTSE wasn't taken care of better but maybe the previous owners didn't know any better. If it was me I'd be owning this but I can do the work to bring it back. Hope this helps the OP and good luck with your purchase.

#21 ·
Do people in PA and upper midwest not typically spray any salt off the frame/underbody? Are they afraid it will create more rust?

I know in CO, if you spray out the wheel wells and frame and underbody, things will dry out so no issues. How does it work in the upper midwest?

#20 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone, I've dealt with a rusty frame before on a Ford ranger and just used a wire brush plus POR 15, that held up very well. I'll definitely be poking every bit of rust when I check it out to make sure there's no major issues.

#24 ·
I’ve owned and driven Landcruiser’s since high school. I have owned three FJs and currently own a 2014 (all manual transmission).

I lived in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan for 6-years. I owned and drove a 2006 & 2008 in the U.P. The roads are salted religiously. I had a monthly car wash membership and I would wash my vehicle every other day sometimes everyday depending on how bad the roads were.

I put 110,000 miles on the 06 & 160,000 miles on the 08 (both Sun Fusion). When I sold them to the new owners they couldn’t believe I drove it in the U.P. Because of how clean the under carriage was.

With that amount of rust I would look into the suspension components.

If it was me, I would rather purchase a non TT version w/o rust and mod it to your liking than purchase this truck.

Happy trailing!

#25 ·
I am not trying to pirate the thread but the 2011 tt that I am going to sell look new compared to this one. I did not know the problems that vehicle had in the snow belt. My truck has been in the desert of west Texas since I purchased it new and always kept in the garage. Never in ice or snow and it almost never rains out here. If anyone is interested please send me a message for all specs.
thanks, Robert

#26 ·
I am not trying to pirate the thread but the 2011 tt that I am going to sell look new compared to this one. I did not know the problems that vehicle had in the snow belt. My truck has been in the desert of west Texas since I purchased it new and always kept in the garage. Never in ice or snow and it almost never rains out here. If anyone is interested please send me a message for all specs.
thanks, Robert
You selling one Robert?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.