Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My base FJ got rear ended, and the entire frame needs to be replaced. Besides asking the shop to use only genuine OEM Toyota parts, what else should I ask them to do, and what should I look for when picking up the truck after its repaired? To replace the frame, I know that the truck will have to be torn down, so putting it together properly is crucial. How do I test to make sure the A-TRAC, DIFF LOCK, LIMITED SLIP, TRACTION CONTROL and other drivetrain options are working properly when the repair is finished? When test driving after the repair, what should I look for?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey there!

I also just got rear ended recently also and the shop recommended a frame replacement. Look at “FJ Achilles Heel” thread. I needed a lot of mechanical work as well. The shop was going to do OEM parts but that ended up totaling my FJ.

I was battling to save my FJ, but in the end didn’t really trust a shop to do a 30K repair with 80hrs of labor. Even though it would be guaranteed and I’d have a lot of new parts, I figured I’d be better off with getting another FJ that did not have an accident.

I sent a lot of receipts to the insurance and ended up getting a settlement I was happy with. I was not in the FJ, so no injury claims, just damage to the FJ.

I’m kind of second guessing myself now, but only because I’m not in another FJ yet and miss it!

I literally just spent the last 2 months battling this with the kind insurance folks, not fun at all, so I know how you feel!

Best of luck

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
before installing a new frame have it painted because the first place the OEM frames begin rusting is at the welds, and the factory coating didn't coat well over welds

A new layer of paint added, over that factory coating would go a LOOOOOONG way to preventing it rusting, better than the original would have.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts