Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 187 Posts

· Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2014 FJ Cruiser Overland Build (slow build)

I am starting a thread so you can follow the evolution of my build up. I bought this brand new with less than a mile on it. It has the TT suspension, CRAWL mode, and rear-locking differential. It has A-TRAC and other than that. It has no exterior or interior accessories. It is going to take a while for this build up but I can't wait to see how it changes. Follow along!

Attachments

· Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 2014 FJ "MOOSE" Overland Buildup

Found a roof rack and predator steps for $175 total in Austin! I eventually traded the predators steps straight up for OEM Rock rails! Couldn't pass it up! Then added plasti-dip (adds at least 10HP right?) to front and rear wings. More to come!

Attachments

Reactions: FJFool and rsrd

· Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

Local Craigslist deal a couple months later! GORHINO grill guard.

Attachments

· Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

· Premium Member
10,487 Posts

Good job!! How well does the plasti-dip hold up on the bumper corners?

· Premium Member
10,487 Posts

Put the what on it?

· Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The plasti dip is holding up well. I've only hand washed it at this point. Did you mean, don't set the can on it?

Reactions: FJ Moose

· Premium Member
10,487 Posts

The plasti dip is holding up well. I've only hand washed it at this poisn't. did you mean, don't set the can on it?
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

· Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bumped mine several times with the cans or my hand. Also, it's imperative to keep the stupid nozzle wiped off or you get bubbles and have to start over. If it starts to peel because a rock chip or something, I will replace it with the TT wings. I removed all the wings completely to get the plasti dip wrapped around the edges. I used 4 coats on each wing.

· Registered
5,956 Posts

I bumped mine several times with the cans or my hand. Also, it's imperative to keep the stupid nozzle wiped off or you get bubbles and have to start over. If it starts to peel because a rock chip or something, I will replace it with the TT wings. I removed all the wings completely to get the plasti dip wrapped around the edges. I used 4 coats on each wing.

If you get the clear coat rock chip stuff. Spray that over top. It is peel able as well. But it protects the plastidip.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Premium Member
10,487 Posts

· Registered
5,956 Posts

where do you get that? got a name?

I'll go look in the garage tomorrow. I picked it up at Home Depot. It says it is peel-able. I have only tried it on the bottom blacked out silver part because I kept slamming into hard packed snow drifts. Only two little spots were wrecked. I am impressed.:)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

My free emblem from Toyota came today for the FJ. I ordered MOOSE so it will go on once it gets warmer outside. Pictures will follow. Friends and enthusiasts agree that it will add at least 5HP to the vehicle. Haha!

Reactions: FJFool and FJ Moose

· Premium Member
10,487 Posts

Like this?

· Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Yes! Exactly like that! I will put it in a different location though, not sure where yet. Any suggestions? Good to know there is another Moose out there too. I've always had an obsession with those animals and the first day I had my FJ someone came up and was like, "that thing's a moose!" LOL! That cemented it for me!

· Premium Member
10,487 Posts

I think the most popular/best places are above the FJ Cruiser, or on the other side above the Toyota Emblem.
Not a lot of space to choose from really though. Best bet is to find the posts on the Facebook group: FJ Cruiser and see what everybody else did, then make a decision.

You will of course want to consider future mods, so like if you want a rear swing out bumper with rotopaks then some spots may not be good, stuff like that.

One tip: get some blue painters tape and place that on first so you can make sure it is level, and it will give you a great straight line to place the bottom of the letters on so you are not just eye-balling it.

1 - 20 of 187 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.