Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
^^ I still say get a snorkel Ben. This from a TRD CAI owner.

It's not that it's a bad product, just that a snorkel would be better.

·
Registered
220 Posts
It is a good looking setup and the Black Talon video was sweet. Mine is coming with the TRD exhaust on it but my dealer also said the CAI is not available. I'm still on the fence about it anyway. If I do install a CAI it will for sure be a TRD.

·
Premium Member
1,412 Posts
No Placebo...watch my video and complete your own test without CAI...then compare the two. You GAIN actual performance increase because you are increasing the air flow (% of O2).
I agree with BT, there is a definite improvement in performance because the filter is less restrictive, more air equals more and better bangs in the combustion chambers!
The engine will definitely wind up very quickly, faster than a stock unit.
If you don't stay 'in it' all the time, fuel economy will be marginally improved, as well. ( not sure BT is getting much economy increase!) LOL!
Make sure that you keep the filter clean and properly oiled.
Also, those shiny Red silicone hoses that allow the hard surfaces to mount together, will deteriorate over time from the heat and the oils that they come in contact with.
On my '07 FJ, the hoses on my TRD CAI developed a almost dry rot condition on the bottom(engine side) of each hose. that looked fine on the top, pretty side.
Had I not caught the condition in time, after about 50K; it the engine would have been sanded, long story short, I would loosen and inspect the hoses and rotate them very 10K.
Another down side for me, is the Cyclonic Dirt Filter on the bottom of the newer stock FJ air boxes that are included on the TRDCAI,
IMHO, this cyclonic filter is the best grit trap known to man, just tap on the top of the air box and see what comes out of the rubber ejector on the bottom of the box- absolutely amazing!!
But then my wife says that I am easily impressed by all things FJ!!
Enjoy the TRDCAI if you decide to get one, they are a breeze to install and they look great!!.
My $.02….gm

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
^^ I still say get a snorkel Ben. This from a TRD CAI owner.

It's not that it's a bad product, just that a snorkel would be better.
BOTH!!!!:smile

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
I agree with BT, there is a definite improvement in performance because the filter is less restrictive, more air equals more and better bangs in the combustion chambers!
The engine will definitely wind up very quickly, faster than a stock unit.
If you don't stay 'in it' all the time, fuel economy will be marginally improved, as well. ( not sure BT is getting much economy increase!) LOL!
Make sure that you keep the filter clean and properly oiled.
Also, those shiny Red silicone hoses that allow the hard surfaces to mount together, will deteriorate over time from the heat and the oils that they come in contact with.
On my '07 FJ, the hoses on my TRD CAI developed a almost dry rot condition on the bottom(engine side) of each hose. that looked fine on the top, pretty side.
Had I not caught the condition in time, after about 50K; it the engine would have been sanded, long story short, I would loosen and inspect the hoses and rotate them very 10K.
Another down side for me, is the Cyclonic Dirt Filter on the bottom of the newer stock FJ air boxes that are included on the TRDCAI,
IMHO, this cyclonic filter is the best grit trap known to man, just tap on the top of the air box and see what comes out of the rubber ejector on the bottom of the box- absolutely amazing!!
But then my wife says that I am easily impressed by all things FJ!!
Enjoy the TRDCAI if you decide to get one, they are a breeze to install and they look great!!.
My $.02….gm
Thanks for confirming this Amigo!!!

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
No Placebo...watch my video and complete your own test without CAI...then compare the two. You GAIN actual performance increase because you are increasing the air flow (% of O2).

That video is no good without racing gloves.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

41 - 48 of 48 Posts