Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone running 285/75r16 Duratracs on a TTUE 'stock' suspension w/o BMC? Any issues? I've seen several running KO2s but the Duratracs are 0.3" bigger diameter. Have also seen several posts about Duratracs on non-TTs (require lift or BMC) but nothing specifically for TTUE. Trying to keep things as stock as possible (no BMC) aside from the tires. Any help is appreciated.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did use those tires awhile back. Worst tires I have ever owed. Your results may vary.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm stuck with Goodyear because of some family members that work there. Hopefully I'll have better luck. Just hoping to step up to the 285/75r16 size if I can confirm people have successfully used the duratracs without other modifications.

· Admin
6,858 Posts
I had 285’s (R16’s on TT TRD wheels) fitted prior to a lift being fitted and they didn’t rub for road driving. they’e been on 8yrs. 40,000 miles and are still with plenty of tread. I’ve been very happy with their performance.

· Premium Member
5,264 Posts
Is anyone running 285/75r16 Duratracs on a TTUE 'stock' suspension w/o BMC? Any issues? I've seen several running KO2s but the Duratracs are 0.3" bigger diameter. Have also seen several posts about Duratracs on non-TTs (require lift or BMC) but nothing specifically for TTUE. Trying to keep things as stock as possible (no BMC) aside from the tires. Any help is appreciated.
I've had 285 Duratracs on both FJ and 4Runner, both lifted and BMC'd. Both rubbed offroad when flexing the front suspension heavily. Since you're trying to stay stock I assume you aren't offroading, at least not the hard stuff. So you should be fine. Worst case, step it down to the 265's if you have to.

Contrary to the experiences shared above, these are the best tires I've owned for Colorado offroading in the summer and getting through the winter. On my fourth set between my FJ and 4Runner. US Forest Service puts them on their trucks, Sheriff's departments in the mountains also use them. If you're mostly highway driving in nice weather, there are undoubtedly better tires for miles / wear.

· Registered
2014, Trails Team Ultimate Edition.
302 Posts
I've got stock a suspension on my TTUE using 285/75/16 KO2 and minimal issues. A 0.3" diameter increase for the Duratracs should not be an issue except as follows

1. I have an aftermarket bumper so the clearance may vary from a factory bumper.
2. the tire does not rub the inner plastic body mount above the mud flap. An additional 0.15" should have no issues clearing.
3. the driver side has zero rub in any position.
4. on my aftermarket bumper, the passenger side has a minimal "non-threatening" rub when in hard-left on a flat surface against the steel plate protecting the water reservoir. When in hard-left and off-camber, then rub is more significant but doable. I would expect in this position, the additional 0.15" size would be a greater issue in my aftermarket bumper setup. however, the issue may be mitigated with a slight configuration and trimming of the steel plate.
5. my off-roading is mostly moderate and specific to overlanding/camping. I am not flexing the vehicle to it's limits. I avoid rock-crawling aggressive trails if possible but based on the instances where i had no choice, a lift would be highly recommended if increasing the tire size as mine did rub. I couldn't tell you where the rub occurred as I didn't get off to check, but i can tell you the sound was not pleasant.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
2008 Voodoo 6mt
123 Posts
Not sure where you are getting a .3 diameter increase from? Going 265 to 285 is a 1.2" difference. Were the TTUE supplied with a bigger stock tire?

Edit: I see that you are comparing KO2 to Goodyear. Never mind.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've got stock a suspension on my TTUE using 285/75/16 KO2 and minimal issues. A 0.3" diameter increase for the Duratracs should not be an issue except as follows

1. I have an aftermarket bumper so the clearance may vary from a factory bumper.
2. the tire does not rub the inner plastic body mount above the mud flap. An additional 0.15" should have no issues clearing.
3. the driver side has zero rub in any position.
4. on my aftermarket bumper, the passenger side has a minimal "non-threatening" rub when in hard-left on a flat surface against the steel plate protecting the water reservoir. When in hard-left and off-camber, then rub is more significant but doable. I would expect in this position, the additional 0.15" size would be a greater issue in my aftermarket bumper setup. however, the issue may be mitigated with a slight configuration and trimming of the steel plate.
5. my off-roading is mostly moderate and specific to overlanding/camping. I am not flexing the vehicle to it's limits. I avoid rock-crawling aggressive trails if possible but based on the instances where i had no choice, a lift would be highly recommended if increasing the tire size as mine did rub. I couldn't tell you where the rub occurred as I didn't get off to check, but i can tell you the sound was not pleasant.

View attachment 1220879

View attachment 1220880

View attachment 1220881
Thanks. This is pretty helpful info. Looking at your pictures, It looks like you have more clearance to the body mount with your 285s than I do with my 265s. I'm guessing that's due to a much more positive castor because I have tons of space in front of my tires. This makes me think with some castor adjustments, I'd probably be ok. My driving is mostly on pavement with snow in the winter and occasional moderate offroading for overlanding/camping as well.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Synthetic rubber

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Car

1 - 12 of 12 Posts