Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Toyota introduced the FJ to those right-hand markets(S. Africa, Australia, NZ, elsewhere) within the past 3-4 years so for those markets the FJ still has a few more years of production. I'm not sure if they'll keep on expanding the FJ's presence into places like Europe or even the UK as a right-hand market vehicle.

And whether this means that by the end of the FJ's production run for right-hand markets Toyota will introduce a newer version of the FJ to the NA market(or anywhere else) is anyone's guess. Especially with these wretched, killjoy CAFE standards. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised Toyota is ceding the off-road market to Jeep so easily.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Well that really blows, once again we get screwed out of a great vehicle just like the diesel Prado's, diesel 100 series, 70 series etc. etc. :frown

Reactions: Dominic1

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Yep, all because of "new government emissions standards"

·
Mean Time Moderator
6,120 Posts
Well that really blows, once again we get screwed out of a great vehicle just like the diesel Prado's, diesel 100 series, 70 series etc. etc. :frown
Yes I saw the info about the production for RoW a while back... but I don't think they're continue it for long, too small volume for Toyota.

Whilst you didn't get the diesels, we didn't get the 40's, 50's, FJ's 105's (though don't think you got them either), Heavy duty 70's or other models. If only we could order anything 'off the menu' from our dealers. I'm in the process of getting an FJ in the UK, 6 months now and I think it has only got as far as the port in the US! But I'm sure it will be worth the wait and all the grief.

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Yes I saw the info about the production for RoW a while back... but I don't think they're continue it for long, too small volume for Toyota.

Whilst you didn't get the diesels, we didn't get the 40's, 50's, FJ's 105's (though don't think you got them either), Heavy duty 70's or other models. If only we could order anything 'off the menu' from our dealers. I'm in the process of getting an FJ in the UK, 6 months now and I think it has only got as far as the port in the US! But I'm sure it will be worth the wait and all the grief.
Knowing your luck, it arrived on the West coast, and has to travel by train an d truck to the East coast, before being held up in customs for a couple of months.

JUST KIDDING !!!!!!!!

Hope you get it soon !!!! :cheers:

·
Registered
328 Posts
It doesn't make any sense though since this same engine is in the Tacoma and 4-Runner right? I mean if it doesn't pass standards then neither would they. Unless it has to do with the vehicle fleet overall standards that I have heard about from time to time. Either way definitely a big loss to those that actually appreciate this vehicle here in the states.

·
Mean Time Moderator
6,120 Posts
Knowing your luck, it arrived on the West coast, and has to travel by train an d truck to the East coast, before being held up in customs for a couple of months.

JUST KIDDING !!!!!!!!

Hope you get it soon !!!! :cheers:
Ha ha, yes you could be right, I am under the illusion it was just taken 50 miles to NY... But it could be in Peru for all I know!

·
Registered
375 Posts
I don't care. that means my FJ value will stay high.

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Ha ha, yes you could be right, I am under the illusion it was just taken 50 miles to NY... But it could be in Peru for all I know!
Honestly, if it is in the USA, it arrived on the West coast. I would imagine it would leave from the East coast to get to you.
I live on the Eastern side of the country, at a river port, and it still came in the country from the top West side.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
It doesn't make any sense though since this same engine is in the Tacoma and 4-Runner right? I mean if it doesn't pass standards then neither would they. Unless it has to do with the vehicle fleet overall standards that I have heard about from time to time. Either way definitely a big loss to those that actually appreciate this vehicle here in the states.
Agreed, I don't understand why the FJ was singled out either

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Plus both Tundra and 4runner are targeted to a different demographic audience. FJs were meant to fill the a very special market, how many people will give a $hit about lockers, atrac or crawl?, most people just want to put their cars in gear and have space and comfort to put their coffee cup down at times when driving to the office, mall or home.

Jeeps suffer the same fate, but they have an entire division dedicated to the offroad market. If Jeep corporate was not feeling the pain, they will have never released the POS new Cherokee, Compass, Patriot and Renegade.

I'd like too see the current 5.7 in the 4runner, and a bigger v8 motor for the Tundra.

·
Mean Time Moderator
6,120 Posts
Honestly, if it is in the USA, it arrived on the West coast. I would imagine it would leave from the East coast to get to you.
I live on the Eastern side of the country, at a river port, and it still came in the country from the top West side.
I bought from a dealer on the East Coast, Yes from Japan they would land East coast... I was wrong though, it isn't in Peru I have notification it arrives in the UK on the 27th.... fantastic

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
That article or Toyota's reason about fuel regulations is a bunch of crap. because if that was indeed the reasoning for not bringing the FJ to the states anymore that would also mean the demise of the Tundra, Sequoia, & Land Cruiser because they all get worse than the FJ. Not to mention the Wrangler would be long gone as well because we all know those get worse fuel economy than our FJ's. :crying

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
That article or Toyota's reason about fuel regulations is a bunch of crap. because if that was indeed the reasoning for not bringing the FJ to the states anymore that would also mean the demise of the Tundra, Sequoia, & Land Cruiser because they all get worse than the FJ. Not to mention the Wrangler would be long gone as well because we all know those get worse fuel economy than our FJ's. :crying
While the average isn't based on units per model, just average among models - the decision by companies on which vehicles to keep and retire is based on units.

No matter how many Priuses(Pri-i?) are sold it wont offset the smaller number of FJs sold to affect the average. So toyota was taking a hit for a model that didn't move many units comparatively speaking. Tundra, Sequoia and Land cruiser sell more units (and have higher price points). The wrangler is the lifeblood of Jeep(and Chrysler) and will not be going anywhere soon. They would rather create another model that offsets the wrangler in their model lineup that may take a small loss because it is a stupid vehicle but offsets MPG in the model lineup *AHEM* http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-03-07/fiats-baby-jeep-renegade-hails-from-italy

·
Registered
117 Posts
Disagree, east coast toyotas come through the panama canal. I knew which boat my FJ was on and tracked its progress from japan. The boat unloads in Jacksonville, FL, and Newark, NJ then heads back to japan.

TN, on the other hand, doesn't get cars from that boat. I don't know if yours are sourced through Gulf States or what.

Reactions: FJ Moose

·
Premium Member
1,412 Posts
Agreed, I don't understand why the FJ was singled out either
IMHO,
It's all about the $$!
If you were on the Board of Directors at Toyota, and the plan for 2015 said that the Company can only sell X amount of 18MPG units to get the Company's goal for the average fleet CAFE, wouldn't you rather sell X amount at the highest Profit per unit.
The FJ is a much smaller profit per unit than the 4R and the TACO.
LC and Sequoia work because they get $50K to $90K for them.
Like Tom Cruise said, Show me the $$….gm

1 - 20 of 25 Posts