Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
My wife and I will be driving out from Atlanta. I've already informed my boss that I will be taking a couple week vacation next July for this event.

·
Premium Member
4,686 Posts
Now that my reservations have been made :) let me suggest where to stay. This will be my 5th summit, I've stayed at this hotel in all previous years.

Ouray Chalet Inn (edit: fixed link)

It's on main street, so all the shops are a 1-2 block walk. It's a 3-4 block walk to Summit HQ, but then you don't have to deal with the parking around HQ either.

But the best part is the price: $80/night for the downstairs rooms, the ground-floor/upstairs rooms may be a little more. Last time I heard, the Twin Peaks was a good $60-70+ more per night.

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
Now that my reservations have been made :) let me suggest where to stay. This will be my 5th summit, I've stayed at this hotel in all previous years.

Ouray Chalet Inn (edit: fixed link)

It's on main street, so all the shops are a 1-2 block walk. It's a 3-4 block walk to Summit HQ, but then you don't have to deal with the parking around HQ either.

But the best part is the price: $80/night for the downstairs rooms, the ground-floor/upstairs rooms may be a little more. Last time I heard, the Twin Peaks was a good $60-70+ more per night.
Thanks...made my room search easier :cheers:

·
Premium Member
4,686 Posts
Thanks...made my room search easier :cheers:
I make this same post every year, at some point enough people are going to know and I won't be able to make a reservation in time :rofl:

The rooms are clean and quiet, you get a refrigerator and microwave and wifi. The main shortcoming is that it's not dog friendly, the Victorian is fine with dogs but they're another $50-60/night.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'm doing everything I can to make this trip this year. I don't want to book my hotel though without signing up for the Summit. How and where do I sign up and how much is this? I'm going to be driving there from Orlando FL, can't wait.

·
Premium Member
4,686 Posts
I don't want to book my hotel though without signing up for the Summit. How and where do I sign up and how much is this?
Sign-up is here, but registration is not open yet: FJSummit 2014 National Meet

Registration usually opens in March, they will announce the date about a month in advance. For 2014 Summit, the event filled up in under 10 hours. Some people on the wait list got in, but you don't want to depend on that.

Pricing is usually in the $150-175 range for the driver/truck, and then $30-40 for each extra person (to cover t-shirts and dinner).

Your best bet is to book the hotel now, and then cancel it if you miss registration or can't come to Summit for some reason. This event is one of the few weeks when Ouray sells out completely, so the longer you wait the harder it will be to get a room.

I'm going to be driving there from Orlando FL, can't wait.
Had two guys in my trail runs last year who drove up from Florida, when registration opens post in your regional forum about doing a convoy to get here.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Sign-up is here, but registration is not open yet: FJSummit 2014 National Meet

Registration usually opens in March, they will announce the date about a month in advance. For 2014 Summit, the event filled up in under 10 hours. Some people on the wait list got in, but you don't want to depend on that.

Pricing is usually in the $150-175 range for the driver/truck, and then $30-40 for each extra person (to cover t-shirts and dinner).

Your best bet is to book the hotel now, and then cancel it if you miss registration or can't come to Summit for some reason. This event is one of the few weeks when Ouray sells out completely, so the longer you wait the harder it will be to get a room.

Had two guys in my trail runs last year who drove up from Florida, when registration opens post in your regional forum about doing a convoy to get here.

What's up Jimmy? I had a great time last year. Sadly won't be able to make it this year. I've been woefully inactive in the FJ world since I got back, but things should settle in soon. I hope to take the family back in a couple years. Are you leading trails again?

·
Premium Member
4,686 Posts
What's up Jimmy? I had a great time last year. Sadly won't be able to make it this year. I've been woefully inactive in the FJ world since I got back, but things should settle in soon. I hope to take the family back in a couple years. Are you leading trails again?
Hey Troy! It's a long drive for you guys, I'm still amazed that Tony made it out two years in a row. We're getting snow drifts at the higher elevations now, so all the offroad passes are closing. Won't be long until there's no fun wheeling left, which means I'll get to put my ski rack on :rofl:

Yep, leading again this year but I'm probably going to change one of the trails. Black Bear was a little stressful with all the tour guide anger, I'm thinking either drop that one or Poughkeepsie (finally made it up the wall, 3rd time's a charm) and do California Pass to see Animas Forks again.

In a year or two I'll just end up leading Imogene every day :rofl:

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Hey Troy! It's a long drive for you guys, I'm still amazed that Tony made it out two years in a row. We're getting snow drifts at the higher elevations now, so all the offroad passes are closing. Won't be long until there's no fun wheeling left, which means I'll get to put my ski rack on :rofl:

Yep, leading again this year but I'm probably going to change one of the trails. Black Bear was a little stressful with all the tour guide anger, I'm thinking either drop that one or Poughkeepsie (finally made it up the wall, 3rd time's a charm) and do California Pass to see Animas Forks again.

In a year or two I'll just end up leading Imogene every day :rofl:

Well, whatever you lead, you'll have a lucky group following you. I really appreciated your effort to keep calm and have everyone enjoy it. I think the DT Taco in front of me on Black Bear had me more anxious than anything on the trip!

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm new a FJ newbie, but I get a sense that most if not all FJ owners drive their rigs to the Summit, is that true?

We stayed at Twin Peaks this past Sept during our dual-sport bike ride, and just so happened to be same time as a big TJ event, 180 TJ's in total. I noticed many, if not most, of the TJ owners trailered their rigs to Ouray.

Btw, the hotsprings pool at Twin Peaks is a real hidden gem after a long day on the trail.

would love to go back in my FJ, ouray area is incredible, teaser pics for folks that haven't been

·
Premium Member
4,686 Posts
Well, whatever you lead, you'll have a lucky group following you. I really appreciated your effort to keep calm and have everyone enjoy it.
I'm happy to do it :) I was fortunate to be able to move to Colorado 3 years ago, it's just amazing here. For me, leading trails is a chance to share some of that amazement, especially with the folks who came a long way to be here.

I think the DT Taco in front of me on Black Bear had me more anxious than anything on the trip!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I still tell that story about how he's tipped on that first hard right switchback, I yelled "ATRAC!" and he yells back "I don't have it!". Oh well, time to push... :rocker:

Are you saying they didn't like your gruff descriptions :wink
Ha! "Hey tour guide, you suck!" The best trail leaders I've had know all the mine names and history, I'm not even close to that. I should just lead the photo tours up Imogene every day :rofl:

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
...I get a sense that most if not all FJ owners drive their rigs to the Summit, is that true?
Well, since there have been well over 200,000 FJCs produced, and we get around 300 for the Summit, no.

However, it's still a pretty good sized group, and as you know, we wouldn't want any more than that crammed into such a tiny town.

I totally know what you mean about the place. Been going there at least once every year for over a decade, and it always hurts to go home.

·
Premium Member
4,686 Posts
I'm new a FJ newbie, but I get a sense that most if not all FJ owners drive their rigs to the Summit, is that true?

We stayed at Twin Peaks this past Sept during our dual-sport bike ride, and just so happened to be same time as a big TJ event, 180 TJ's in total. I noticed many, if not most, of the TJ owners trailered their rigs to Ouray.
For anybody with out-of-state plates, I'd bet that many/most of them also did Moab while they were in the area. There's an informal Moab FJ group each year before Summit, because for the people coming from far away the two are so close that you might as well do them both at the same time.

I had a TJ ('99) before I had the FJ, and even on 32's it had trouble at highway speeds. So for the ones that you saw that were built up and possibly re-gear'd, any limited highway capability they had before is all gone.

I'm sure a handful of people did trailer their FJ's to Summit, but I don't remember seeing any. I met folks from Florida, Ohio, California etc and all of them drove the FJ all the way. It's not great for the gas mileage :rofl: but then towing it behind a big diesel pickup isn't that great either.

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
I drove mine from TN, 1450 miles ... that was grueling :lol: and boring!

41 - 60 of 77 Posts