Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
That's kind of what I figured, full spectrum of builds from all over

Sounds like FJ's pretty much take over Ouray for 3-4 days, a site to behold. I know I had a really hard time leaving on my last trek.

·
Registered
81 Posts
are there any benefits on staying during the last day of summit? i will be coming from missouri and will probably end up leaving a day early so i can make it back to work by monday..

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
are there any benefits on staying during the last day of summit? i will be coming from missouri and will probably end up leaving a day early so i can make it back to work by monday..
If you mean leaving on Saturday, yes.....there are a lot of benefits to staying, at least until the raffle is over late Saturday night.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
I'm new a FJ newbie, but I get a sense that most if not all FJ owners drive their rigs to the Summit, is that true?

We stayed at Twin Peaks this past Sept during our dual-sport bike ride, and just so happened to be same time as a big TJ event, 180 TJ's in total. I noticed many, if not most, of the TJ owners trailered their rigs to Ouray.

Btw, the hotsprings pool at Twin Peaks is a real hidden gem after a long day on the trail.

would love to go back in my FJ, ouray area is incredible, teaser pics for folks that haven't been

pardon for being out of topic. can't help noticing your garmin gps. does it serve as a navigation as well? does it record coordinates? and therefore can be used as guide in going back the trail? thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,686 Posts
Ouray to St. Louis is ~1100 miles, which can be done in a day. If you're west of St. Louis, it's even shorter.

The schedule for Saturday is: the last trail run, group dinner and then the raffle. If you do the trail run and then skip dinner/raffle you can get a head start on the drive.

Leaving early is not unheard of, we had a guy in my Thursday Imogene group this year that immediately left for California the next day.

·
Registered
161 Posts
pardon for being out of topic. can't help noticing your garmin gps. does it serve as a navigation as well? does it record coordinates? and therefore can be used as guide in going back the trail? thanks.
yes sir, that particular gps unit does all that plus and a lot more, supports tracks and routes. It's called garmin montana 650, works really well for off-road use with the "tracks" feature and city navigator map (typically sold separately). Isn't designed too much for city driving like the nuvi units, different mission statement. Waterproof and dust proof, just not cheap... Records your tracks where you've been so you can navigate a "track back" if needed.

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Group picture is "6am" Sunday morning. If you want in front, get there really really early :rofl: like 4am :rofl:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I'm doing everything I can to make this trip this year. I don't want to book my hotel though without signing up for the Summit. How and where do I sign up and how much is this? I'm going to be driving there from Orlando FL, can't wait.
I'll drive up from South of you, I drive slow though. I set the cruise control at 60 and just let it eat highway. Surprisingly, tortoise and hare, I make about the same time as I don't have to stop for fuel as often. I have gotten as good MPG as over 24 mpg. Although I suspect that may have been downhill with a tailwind.:smile

·
Premium Member
4,686 Posts
Reservations made at the Chalet, couldn't get 15th though. I guess try and get arrested so can have a hot n cot the night before.
If you're fine with camping for just that first night, I could PM you a few good (free) camping spots that are very close to town.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'll drive up from South of you, I drive slow though. I set the cruise control at 60 and just let it eat highway. Surprisingly, tortoise and hare, I make about the same time as I don't have to stop for fuel as often. I have gotten as good MPG as over 24 mpg. Although I suspect that may have been downhill with a tailwind.:smile

I don't know if I can do the 60MPH thing, I think I'd go crazy. We are also trying to see what we can hit on the way out there to break up the drive. Looks like it's going to be 30 hours. If we make stops on the way we'll take 3 days to get out there. If we don't we're going to be trying to get out there in 2 days. That will give us another 2 days of wheeling, be it in Moab or Monument Valley or the Grand Canyon because we're hitting all of those during the trip. We have to see when the Moab group is meeting before the Summit. I also have to see if they are camping out there or staying at a hotel somewhere near Moab. My SO has never camped so I'm trying to make this road trip as comfortable for her as possible.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
If you're fine with camping for just that first night, I could PM you a few good (free) camping spots that are very close to town.
Hey Jimmy, Yeah that would be great!. We are rough and tumble folks. I hope to have a sleeping system setup for the back of the cargo area. It will probably be full of luggage, mementos, and empty soda cans though.

Additionally, I would like to include something like Moab for the period before the summit. Like it was suggested, we are traveling quite some distance, so we should make the most of our mileage investment. We want to do, have and see it all.

I'm going to have to get serious over the next few months and plan at very least, a minimum of performance (suspension) upgrades to allow us to participate on as many trail runs as possible. Although I do consider myself a beginner, as I have lived most of my life at sea level, I am adventurous and live by the mantra that if another man (and machine) can do it, I can too.

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
We have to see when the Moab group is meeting before the Summit. I also have to see if they are camping out there or staying at a hotel somewhere near Moab. My SO has never camped so I'm trying to make this road trip as comfortable for her as possible.
Additionally, I would like to include something like Moab for the period before the summit.
As it has become an annual pilgrimage for some of us, you can plan on there being someone to wheel with in Moab during the Sat, Sun, Mon and Tues before the FJ Summit. There will be a separate thread on this later.

We normally run the easier (scenic) to mid-level runs and don't push it on the difficult runs because nobody wants to fix broken rigs in the heat or miss the FJ Summit because of a breakdown. In regards to heat, it isn't as bad as you might expect (IMO). There are plenty of camping areas in and near town and many offer low cost cabins if you don't want to mess with the tent.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
@ my 1st Meet and Great here in cincy, I heard Woodsman, Weavin' FJ and others talk about the Summit (Summit 7) - Thought about going to the next one - work got in the way - so heard about it again and add to it, Moose's adventure, I'm in for Summit #9
Work be damned - Hotel Reservations made.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts