Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Folks,
I'm planning an overland/expedition style trip in Big Bend Ranch State Park between Xmas and NYE. Arriving Dec 26 and I'll be departing the 31st.

Depending on the camp sites and how many tents/vehicles they can accommodate, the group might end up being limited in number.

My goal is to start at one end of the park and work our way over to the other side using the more primitive roads/trails as much as possible.
Possibly starting at the east end (Tres Papalotes) and working our way back toward Casa Piedra in the remote NW side of the park.

This is will be my first "Overland" style trip off the grid in a LONG time.

I'm going to scout out some trails next month and hopefully meet with one of the Park Rangers to hash out some of the details. Once I do, I'll post them up here so I can start planning this trip.

Keep the dates in mind if you think you'll be interested.

Below is the link to Tanya's excellent Big Bend Trip Planning:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...d-packing-list-prep-links-off-road-trips.html

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm about 4-5 hours north of there in NM. If you shoot me a PM I can meet you down in the fj and we can do some group scouting. I'm off every weekend.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm about 4-5 hours north of there in NM. If you shoot me a PM I can meet you down in the fj and we can do some group scouting. I'm off every weekend.
Wow, "Fartesia" is close! lol
Yeah I'm like 8-10 hours away :(

If I take a long weekend off to head down that way, you can bet I'll let you know ahead of time, thanks!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Looking forward to it!!!! I rode my Moto down there a couple months ago. Looks like some near exploring and there's fuel in the park

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sorry I was on the mobile app, there is a fuel station on the eastern third section of the park right on the main road, about 5 miles before the road dead ends at the river recreation area.

It's roughly 12 miles in from the main entrance on the west side near Study Butte.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
The service station is located in the national park itself, but it has been known to occasionally run out of fuel, with a week anticipated before the next fuel tanker due to arrive. The next closest available fuel is located in Study Butte, approximately 15 miles or so to the West (outside) of the national park. Sometimes it too is waiting on the next fuel tanker, but this out-of-fuel-for-a-week-or-so scenario is a fairly rare occurrence. Point being, call ahead to find out the current fuel situation and top up your vehicle at every chance, including in Marathon if you are coming in from Hwy 90 and Alpine from further North. Carry extra fuel cans. Be aware of fuel consumption, as the national park is large and spread out.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gotcha, ok i haven't explored the state park at all, we saw the signs but it was west of where we turned into the Natl Park
Yup, Terlingua & Lajitas are west of the Study Butte Gas Station.
After that is the State Park, then Presidio.

·
Registered
430 Posts
The paved road that runs through BBSR park (along the river) from the Big Bend end to Presidio is a nice drive in itself.
That is one of the most scenic drives in Texas. My wife and I drove it last year from Presidio to the national park. It's like a mini Grand Canyon in some areas with plenty of places to stop and take pics or for short hikes. There appears to be a few off-road trails in the area of the state park that intersect it.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That is one of the most scenic drives in Texas. My wife and I drove it last year from Presidio to the national park. It's like a mini Grand Canyon in some areas with plenty of places to stop and take pics or for short hikes. There appears to be a few off-road trails in the area of the state park that intersect it.
There is one in particular that is supposed to be a great half day trail called Cerro De Las Burras. It's a loop right off of Hwy 170.
According to Tanya, there are some caves to hike up to and explore.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts