Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just thought I would start a thread here to mirror the one I have going on Expo.

Yep, you read it right. We're leaving Vegas in March 2017 and driving all the way to TUK! Planned route is:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z31YKgl9mxEk.kuMr4hCRkHEY&usp=sharing

Our first official planning meeting is next month. Planning something this epic is quite a bit of work, or so I am learning. We're trying to work out everything from sponsors to media to camp sites, you name it.

Right now, it looks like the run to Inuvik will be hard and fast with just enough breaks to rest for safety. This way we can truly enjoy the culture and beauty of the Arctic Ocean in the winter. We're hoping to meet up with some of our Canadian friends along the way.

So, yes we will be winter camping. Yes, we know it will be well below zero. Yes, we will have our rigs prepped. We actually have a medical team going with us. We know it's going to cost a lot. We are budgeting 21 days round trip from Vegas.

At any rate, we welcome all of your comments, stories, and suggestions.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good luck! This will be amazing to watch! How many people/rigs are gonna do the trip?
Thanks!

Right now we have ten or so "teams" on the list. I look for that to thin down as the time approaches. The reality of the budget and the extended vacation time away from jobs, etc will sink in I think. A lot of us have been banking vacation time for this. I have six weeks of vacation built up at work, so three weeks off will be easy. You figure on the high end of the budget could be $4,000 if you wanted to do more hotels, but a lot of toursity things, etc. Even at that, with a year of savings, that is about $300 a month to save. Luckily for us, oil prices are taking a giant dump so that should relieve some of the gas budget.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,264 Posts
Drove to Tuk solo in my 70 series in February 2004, helped along the way by TLCA members. I started in Vancouver. Having parked on the Arctic Ocean I then headed roughly down the Rockies to Arizona before heading to Texas to ship home.

Suggest you contact the tourist office in Inuvik, they were very helpful, and stop at Eagle Plains on the Dempster. It was -50C when I was there and -60C over at Old Crow

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drove to Tuk solo in my 70 series in February 2004, helped along the way by TLCA members. I started in Vancouver. Having parked on the Arctic Ocean I then headed roughly down the Rockies to Arizona before heading to Texas to ship home.

Suggest you contact the tourist office in Inuvik, they were very helpful, and stop at Eagle Plains on the Dempster. It was -50C when I was there and -60C over at Old Crow
:rocker::rocker: Awesome man! Any pics to share?

·
Admin
6,863 Posts
Subscribed.
:cheers:

·
Desert Moderator
6,014 Posts

·
Desert Moderator
6,014 Posts
Hmmm... I wonder how feasible it is to drive across Russia to Alaska from here?

Dubai > boat > Iran > ??? > Russia > boat > Alaska > Canada > Continental US...

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,264 Posts

Attachments

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,264 Posts
and from the Ice Road and Tuk'

Attachments

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,264 Posts
last ones... Maybe if I can raise the funds I'll join you with my FJ

Attachments

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Are you buying snow tires or running your MTR's? That's going to be a sweet trip!

·
Desert Moderator
6,014 Posts
last ones... Maybe if I can raise the funds I'll join you with my FJ
Trip of a lifetime. Inspired!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Desert Moderator
6,014 Posts
1 - 20 of 105 Posts