Date:
Set Tentative March 25-April 15 2017

Route:
Dempster to Inuvik to Tuk.
Inuvik Through Reno on the way back.
(Will post map links)
7,000 mile round trip.
Minimum Gear:
• 2M or Dual Band Radio. (Baoefeng with external antenna is OK)
• Recovery Gear
• First Aid Gear
• 10 gallons of fuel (look at buying Scepter cans in Canada)
• Spare parts inventory from each participant.
• Passport
• For those that want, the NEXUS card is available: NEXUS | U.S. Customs and Border Protection
Sponsors:
• Allegiant
• Radios(Kyle?)
• Mountain House
• Toyota (Manny)
• AMSOIL?
• US Army Navy Store (Parkas?)
• North Face?
• Under Armor
• Minus33.com (Very good resource)
• Zappos (local?)
• Any Vegas vendors we can drag in?
• Should we look at other vendors along the route? (hotels, gas stops, etc)
• Northern Tool (Generator?)
Logistics:
• Canadian Travel (port of entry)
• Contingency for anyone turned back at the border (Trip will continue)
• Firearms laws (James to check on bringing a bow and arrow)
• Currency and conversion
• Expected gas usage estimated at 700 gallons per vehicle.
• Pets need current shots and health certificate.
• Approximately 13 hours/day sunlight during our travel time.
Budget:
• Fuel: $2450
• Lodging: $1,000 (Just figuring on 10 nights at an average of $100 a night)
• Gas calculations: 7,000 mile round trip. Used $3.50 gallon/10MPG Average. Gas prices in Canada at today’s exchange rate are about $3.21 US/Gallon for regular.
• Lodging in Inuvik ranges from $100 to 180 US/night.
• Arctic Chalet $113 US per person for the dog sled run. $89 per night for a room
• Meals
Media
• Website or Facebook Page or both? Manny and/or Abraham are working this.
• Offroad Trailguide mapping/tracking
• Media and sponsor handout?
• Video and pics from start of planning
• Nevada Magazine in Reno
Questions/Items from first meeting:
• Lodging Costs
• Distance between services once in the NWT
• Canadian Camping/Lodging
• Source for purchase of Scepter cans along our route
• Possible camp at Liard River Hot Springs

·
Registered
156 Posts
Nick, are you pulling your camper? Also, do you have an idea of # hours behind the wheel / day?

Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Nick, are you pulling your camper? Also, do you have an idea of # hours behind the wheel / day?

Thanks for the update.
I am taking the camper. That is why I used 10mpg to estimate gas! :lol::lol:

The first couple of days I can estimate a solid 12 hour driving days. Our thoughts are to bust ass to get to Inuvik so we can take in all of the culture and tourism type things. After that we will have an idea on return time.

Return trip will be through Seattle and down to Reno. We want to spend a night in Reno and one possibly in Gold Point.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #87

·
Registered
68 Posts
I drove from Los Angeles to Inuvik from mid August to mid September of last year. Epic trip, but only saw snow a few times. Here's a few random thoughts in no particular order.
Saw an earlier mention of Top of the World Highway, it is closed during the winter.
Eagle Plains at about the mid point of the Dempster is basically the only fuel along that route and has the grouchiest gas station attendant I've seen in a long time (you cannot pump your own gas). Their CC machines were down, so only took cash.
Liard Hot Springs is a must, great stop! The Dempster is beautiful and the Cassiar coming through BC is also amazing.
I originally grew up in Saskatchewan so I'm very familiar with -30 and colder. If the wind is blowing and you are exposed (as is often the case on the tundra) the wind chill will quickly push temps 20 degrees colder then the ambient temps. If not staying in hotels, I would recommend at least a -20 sleeping bag, not a cheap one either, because their ratings are for survivability not comfort. Consider Feathered Friends or Western Mountaineering bags.
Maybe reach out to Canada Goose for a cold weather clothing sponsor.
A few pics to wet your appetite.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
I drove from Los Angeles to Inuvik from mid August to mid September of last year. Epic trip, but only saw snow a few times. Here's a few random thoughts in no particular order.
Saw an earlier mention of Top of the World Highway, it is closed during the winter.
Eagle Plains at about the mid point of the Dempster is basically the only fuel along that route and has the grouchiest gas station attendant I've seen in a long time (you cannot pump your own gas). Their CC machines were down, so only took cash.
Liard Hot Springs is a must, great stop! The Dempster is beautiful and the Cassiar coming through BC is also amazing.
I originally grew up in Saskatchewan so I'm very familiar with -30 and colder. If the wind is blowing and you are exposed (as is often the case on the tundra) the wind chill will quickly push temps 20 degrees colder then the ambient temps. If not staying in hotels, I would recommend at least a -20 sleeping bag, not a cheap one either, because their ratings are for survivability not comfort. Consider Feathered Friends or Western Mountaineering bags.
Maybe reach out to Canada Goose for a cold weather clothing sponsor.
A few pics to wet your appetite.
AWESOME Pics! Also great tips! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Just check on the GNWT transportation website for updates...they are currently building an all weather road from Inuvik to Tuk so the ice road may not be required next year.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Just check on the GNWT transportation website for updates...they are currently building an all weather road from Inuvik to Tuk so the ice road may not be required next year.
Already wayy ahead on that. I have a contact at Yellowknife. Next winter will in fact be the LAST year for the ice road. We will be some of the last to cross it.

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
they are currently building an all weather road from Inuvik to Tuk so the ice road may not be required next year.
I believe that's why Nick and Co. are going now.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ahh good to know, I don't pay much attention to the news but remember hearing they were supposed to be finished with the road in 2017. The ice roads on the Yellowknife side are pretty neat too but they typically end at the mines. They sell woods -50 sleeping bags at some of the local stores, probably the best value for a warm bag.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well that says it all, you have to go now! As I said great people at the tourist office. I was presented with this cert, stickers and a pin as it was the 25th anniversary of the Dempster.
Last year to drive in ice. So it´s now or never?
This thing is really pushing me to join you guys. :|

Who would like to join me from the Capitol?

Thinking if we can rent a one big tractor trailer to ship our FJC to meet the convoy. :thinkerg:

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Last year to drive in ice. So it´s now or never?
This thing is really pushing me to join you guys. :|

Who would like to join me from the Capitol?

Thinking if we can rent a one big tractor trailer to ship our FJC to meet the convoy. :thinkerg:
Yep this will be it! VFJC will be among the last!

81 - 100 of 105 Posts