Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

81 - 100 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Just found the video of the lexus rolling backwards. Wow that must have been supreme pucker factor :)

·
Premium Member
8,018 Posts
The whole deal sucked . There is so much more to the story . I am
Catching so much crap from people that have no idea what even happened. I will NEVER ! Help anyone again . The sad part is they are up here at Summit and have apologized to me And some of the guys that were with them want to run trails with us . I guess you had to be there . But everyone sure can throw there expert opinion out .
Hey man, wish I could help. Ya just never know what can happen when you get other people in the group. I remember last year you spotted me up what must have been the PERFECT line and I was astonished at how easy it felt, I barely even knew I had reached the hard part. Hope you had fun at summit, really wished we could have wheeled with some of you guys a little more this year but obvious circumstances prevented us from making the most of our already short time out there. Take it easy.

:blueblob:

·
Vendor
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Next year we are doing the Rubicon . Start getting ready

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,420 Posts
Great shots Deb ( & whoever was behind the lens) That’s some air you caught there! Great to capture the moment it flew off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I feel ill looking at that 3rd photo, WOW! What was it like being in the driver's seat? Was it precarious or did you still have a good deal of weight & momentum keeping you moving forward & down?
My nephew Chris caught that special moment - you can see him standing in the background the first two shoots - we laughed till we were sick when he realized he’d caught the moment of “separation” :rofl: As for the experience I knew I had to hammer it so was fairly high speed, and honestly hardly felt a thing - the long travel rear is astonishingly good at keeping the body level, so it was just a brief moment my passenger wheel was up. I was quite surprised when I saw the pic :angel

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,420 Posts
Deb, tune (remap) working out OK for that work?
Apologies for lack of posting - long trail days and lack of internet....but YES the Raptor tune has been AWESOME!! In the above pic of me roaring up the Wall I had more power than I anticipated so lifted the wheel a bit higher than intended :rofl: I tried to post a video of effortlessly walking up Hells Gate so these pics will have to do for now - what a difference compared to last time I ran it :grin

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts

Interesting but I don’t quite buy the explanation that brakes do not work when you lose power. I drive a stick and I may have stalled out on climbs a time or two but never went careening backward down the hill. There had to be more to it.

Interesting little known fact about restarting on a hill with a stick I will share. Push the clutch start cancel button then crank it in first gear with the clutch fully out. The starter motor has a lot more torque than you think and will climb up a pretty steep hill and start the truck at the same time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,420 Posts
Interesting but I don’t quite buy the explanation that brakes do not work when you lose power. I drive a stick and I may have stalled out on climbs a time or two but never went careening backward down the hill. There had to be more to it.

Interesting little known fact about restarting on a hill with a stick I will share. Push the clutch start cancel button then crank it in first gear with the clutch fully out. The starter motor has a lot more torque than you think and will climb up a pretty steep hill and start the truck at the same time.

We tested this and brakes absolutely do work if engine shuts down. They have said several different things, like driver had just installed some sort of kill switch that he accidentally tripped while going up. Since I witnessed the whole thing I am certain it was drive error/panic. No doubt in mind. Very bizarre thing to watch, especially since it happened right after I successfully crawled the Gate.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,696 Posts

We tested this and brakes absolutely do work if engine shuts down. They have said several different things, like driver had just installed some sort of kill switch that he accidentally tripped while going up. Since I witnessed the whole thing I am certain it was drive error/panic. No doubt in mind. Very bizarre thing to watch, especially since it happened right after I successfully crawled the Gate.
Agree. In all my years of marshalling events and doing driver training I've seen multiple fails on hills going up and down and vehicles 'free falling' All have been down to driver error and mostly due to people disengaging the clutch. So if this was a manual trans then agree that is what the decent looks like to me, engine 'disconnected' from the drivetrain. If it was an auto then not sure, unless they tried to select reverse and found neutral? But not for me to make assumptions and very glad it didn't end up much worse.
@TrueGritCruzr we always teach people how to do 'key starts' as one of the first basic principles of off-road driving, in both first and reverse gear. on a failed climb it would be in reverse to have engine braking and control straight off.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,420 Posts
Agree. In all my years of marshalling events and doing driver training I've seen multiple fails on hills going up and down and vehicles 'free falling' All have been down to driver error and mostly due to people disengaging the clutch. So if this was a manual trans then agree that is what the decent looks like to me, engine 'disconnected' from the drivetrain. If it was an auto then not sure, unless they tried to select reverse and found neutral? But not for me to make assumptions and very glad it didn't end up much worse.

@TrueGritCruzr we always teach people how to do 'key starts' as one of the first basic principles of off-road driving, in both first and reverse gear. on a failed climb it would be in reverse to have engine braking and control straight off.
Was automatic - and driver told me when he pressed the brake pedal there was nothing. I think he pressed the wrong pedal. He had a traumatic time going down, almost rolled due to picking a really bad line then not understanding how to control throttle. This was an ill-prepared group. His friend (owner of vehicle that got smashed at the bottom) put a bundle of firewood under one tire to prevent rolling and refused to listen to us or accept help. He then decided to ride passenger to spot this anxious driver up the other side of the Gate instead of spotting him from the outside, probably because he was wearing flip flops (pet peeve). We did not know this, and you can hear me on the video asking is anyone was going to spot him which is why Jeff ran down. Apparently the driver was getting two different commands when he slipped off the side wall, so it was a formula for confusion, panic and disaster.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
First I would like to thank everybody for my Day 1 - Top of the World & Day 2 - Hell's Revenge runs in Moab. My great appreciation to those who spotted for me specially Jeff & Deb. Pardon me for instances that I get confused on the commands to steer my rig properly to get the correct line. I have learned a lot from you.

Sharing a few of the photos I have:
(credit: photos of me at the TOW and HR by Alaura & Samantha respectively)

Top of the World (TOW) - 3 FJs & 1 4Runner

Photos for classification by Ramon Flores, on Flickr

Untitled by Ramon Flores, on Flickr

Hell's Revenge (HR) - 6 FJs

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Pretty good size, maybe 18" or so. I've seen a few out there and this one flaunts some amazing shape definition. Seeing it up close, you truly get a sense of how sharp their, claws?, talons?, nails? must've been. I also thought it was pretty cool where that particular one exists... Almost 5000 feet above Moab at 8500', just a few feet off a paved road.
My wife and I left Moab for Ouray on this same road I think... and although the dinosaur prints(?) were cool, the road itself into Colorado was awesome!

Reactions: shrdnar
81 - 100 of 117 Posts