Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

2020 3rd Quarter Member Spotlight - Lee44!!!

13K views 26 replies 21 participants last post by  Luke09 
#1 · (Edited)
2020 3rd Quarter Member Spotlight: Lee44

BEFORE:
Never got a before of Jade, I put the Smittybilt Steps and Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT275/70R17 tires on the first week I had her. The steps so my wife can get in and out. Completely stock other than that.

AFTER:
Jade in her current state. Photo after a trip to the detailers.

We'd like to congratulate Lee44 for being selected as the 2020 3rd Quarter Member Spotlight!

As you can tell from the change in title, starting in 2020 rather than alternating between Member/Rig of the Month features on a monthly basis like we have for the past few years, we will be doing these features every 3 months for a total of 4 each year. These highlights will be up to the interviewees discretion as to whether they want it to focus on them and their FJ or just the rig. It will be great!

Hayden: Tell us a bit about yourself (Family/pets, work/school, hobbies/interests, location, etc.)

Lee44: Married to my wonderful wife for 54 years. 3 children and 10 grandchildren. Waiting on the first great-grand.
Hunter is our miniature longhair Doxie and Mr. Cat, they are buddies. If Mr. Cat looks like he wants to kill something its because I woke him up.
We are both retired and enjoying it. Don’t work no more. 😊

I’m north of 70 years old. Retired Navy, Vietnam Vet. Retired from semi-conductor industry.
I live in Happy Valley Oregon (suburb of Portland)

Family would be my top priority followed by off roading Jade (our FJ). Upgrading Jade is right up there too. Shooting and reloading although that has slowed down in the last few years. Home Theater was a big hobby years ago but now I just watch movies in there. The grandkids loved it, maybe I’ll be around for great-grands. Now Jade gets all the attention.

See less See more
#2 ·

Hayden: How did you come to own an FJ Cruiser? Is the FJ Cruiser your first off-road vehicle? If not, what was the first vehicle you took wheeling?

Lee44:A Dodge Dakota was the first vehicle that I really got off road. Pretty much tore up the suspension on it.

After realizing that the Dakota was not the best vehicle we, a friend Gary and I, were looking for a vehicle we could build. Initially we were looking for a Suzuki Samurai but quickly realized that there was room for the two of us but not much else.

We then started looking at older Jeeps. We did a lot of looking. One day I saw a yellow FJ in a used car lot. The mods had been removed, there were holes in the body and dash were equipment had been but it still looked good. I had no clue about the FJ at all. All of a sudden I started noticing them all around. I did some checking online. I hadn’t discovered FJ Cruiser Forums yet but I got really lucky and got a good one.

I saw Jade at our local Toyota dealership. 2013 Base, Army Green, build date 09/2012. 38,000 miles, $28,000 with Off Road Package and first level Convenience Package (no sub or inverter). Didn’t look like it had been off road. The dealer originally sold the FJ and had all the records. Purchased in mid-September 2015, Toyota Certified with the remainder of her 100,000 mile warranty. Traded in the Dakota and sold my Harley for her. The Dakota was easy but the Harley hurt. I spent years building it up but couldn’t ride anymore due to medical issues.

From the Toyota VIN lookup site:

Hayden: How/when were you first introduced to the forum and what made you decide to join?

Lee44:I Found the forum doing a Google search. I had belonged to forums for other vehicles in the past. A good way to get all kinds of help. Joined on September 13, 2015, a day or two after purchasing. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my 5 years here.

Mod List:

ARMOR:

Ricochet Skids. Engine/Bash Plate, Transmission and Lower A Arms.

METALTECH4X4 Red Eye (1) Rear Bumper, swing out. I was looking for a gas can mount and to take the weight off the rear door.

SUSPENSION/WHEELS/TIRES:

OEM Alloy Wheels 17” with Cooper STT Pro LT285/70R17 (33’s)

ARB/OME BP-51 (Heavy) Suspension

#3 ·
SPC Light Racing UCAs

Panhard Bar Correction Bracket (to be installed)

Note that the panhard bar is not level (before)

ENGINE PERFORMANCE:

Raptor All Fuels Tune

AIRAID CAI

URD Stainless 3” Mark3 Cat Back Exhaust

Baxter Performance Oil filter adapter and filter mount.

#4 ·
Hayden 699 bypass transmission oil cooler. 11.0 x 11.625 x 0.75 This is a large cooler but the oil bypasses the cooler when the oil temp is low. Goes to full flow at approximately 180 degrees F.

https://www.haydenauto.com/media/5479/bypass-transmission-oil-cooler_flyer.pdf

LIGHTING/ELECTRONICS:

Diode Dynamics Interior/Exterior LEDs.

Diode Dynamics HID Headlights with Halo Switchbacks

Diode Dynamics 50” LED Amber Light Bar

Amber LED Fog Lights

Kenwood DDX793 head unit with front and rear cameras. Rear camera also functions as a backup camera and rear view for in close vehicles

Remote power installed for the dash cam and GoPro

INTERIOR MODIFICATIONS:

Shift knobs from Ellis Precision

Springtail Solutions Side Rack

RECOVERY MODIFICATIONS:

US OFF ROAD Winch Mount Bumper

WARN VR 10S winch

Warrior Products 3841 Axe Shovel Mount

METALTECH4X4 RED EYE Rear Bumper, High Lift Jack mount, 2 Jerry Can Mounts, Shackle Mounts ..

Front Runner Storage drawer

#5 ·
WARN Recovery Kit

Kinetic Rope

Cobra CB Radio

Echo 58V 16” Battery Powered Chain Saw (When we will be in the woods)

VAIR 400PA Compressor

ARB Deflator

NOCO GB70 Genius Battery Booster

Gastapper Fuel Transfer Pump (New one of the left, twice the transfer rate, 1.2 gal/min)

A picture is worth a thousand words. Long jumper cables, tow strap, kinetic recovery rope, Warn recovery kit, shackles stored around the outside edges of the drawer. Tools, duct tape, mechanics wire (bailing wire), flares, wire ties, hand cleaner, tarp for laying on the ground, WD-40, first aid kit, ARB tire puncture repair kit

This is part of what I emptied out of Jade for the trip to the detailer.

#6 ·
Dang, these didn’t make it into the picture. Made by our very own @ZerosFJ

Hayden: What modification is your favorite or is the most worth the money/time/effort that you’d recommend it to someone else?

Lee44:I would have to say the OME BP-51 Suspension. Having a tuned suspension has made the most noticeable difference off road.

Hayden: What upgrade is your least favorite, or what modification would you do differently if you had to do it over again?

Lee44:That would be the wiring that was done while I was laid up after the accident. Nothing wrong with the MOD, the lights are perfectly functional. It was the workmanship, routing/dressing of wires and cables. Yes, I am picky. Now that I am more active I will be redoing it all with the help of a grandson. I have the parts on hand that I’ll need.

Hayden: What has been your favorite thing about owning an FJ Cruiser?

Lee44:Getting away from it all and enjoying the scenery in a vehicle I truly enjoy driving.

Hayden: Has anyone on the forum inspired your build or been a go-to resource for you?

Lee44: Yes, many forum members. I can list some but I’d leave someone out and I’d feel bad about that. The forum is a wealth of information.

Hayden: Where all have you been with your FJC? What trail/park/location is your favorite?

Lee44Northwestern Oregon and Southwestern Washington. Mt Hood and Gifford Pinchot National Forests. Forest Service roads and logging roads. Powerline roads are legal here. There are many lakes, rivers and streams.

The Old Barlow Road is a favorite and gets driven twice a year at least. Spring and Fall.

Still Creek Road and Pipeline Road get driven many times a year. They are back ways up to Mt Hood and Lake Harriet and Trillium Lake.

We made one out of area trip to Sumpter in Eastern Oregon to explore the back roads, gold mines and ghost towns. That country is full of history. Spent three days exploring.

We even saw where the Gold Rush guys from Discovery were mining near Baker City, OR.

Hayden: Is there a trail/park/location you haven’t visited yet that you would like to take your FJ to someday?

Lee44: MOAB! A lot of the work on Jade has been in preparation for going to Moab and driving the trails around the National Parks in the area. I just have to pick a time to meet up with some of our folks going there. This is something I really want to do!.

Hayden: What has been the most memorable experience with your FJ Cruiser?

Lee44: Joining others from the forum on the Annual Florence Beach Run at the end of March 2018.

The Annual Florence Beach Run in March.
Snow Transport Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Public space Landscape

Motor vehicle Vehicle Natural environment Car Sand

Horizon Sky Sunrise Sunset Sea

Hayden: Has the current COVID-19 situation across the world had an effect on you or your FJ’s plans this year for off-roading or mods?

Lee44: COVID-19 hasn’t been an issue for off roading. Couldn’t be more ‘socially distanced’.

The fires in Northwestern Oregon have really put a damper on driving lately. One fire in particular has us worried. The White River Fire covered a lot of the Old Barlow Road. We won’t know the extent of the damage until summer/fall next year, maybe it will be 2022. ☹

The virus has probably made more time for MODs. (Less time Off Roading)

Hayden: What do you enjoy the most about the FJCrusierForums?

Lee44: Interaction with the other members. Continue learning about our FJ Cruisers.

Hayden: What has the FJCruiserForums done for you and what do you feel you contribute to the forum the most?

Lee44: The education I’ve gotten from our members dealing with all things FJ Cruiser and off roading in general.

There are a large number of members that do the heavy lifting when it comes to the technical issues. I try to help others by providing links to answer their questions. Helping with the basic stuff and providing what experience I can.

Hayden: In a world without new FJ Cruisers being built, do you plan on keeping yours forever or upgrading to a different model someday?

Lee44: I’ll be keeping her forever. I have one grandson in particular that she will probably go to. He is very interested in the out of doors; fishing, camping, etc. He and his dad both ride trails on motorcycles.

Hayden: What do you expect to be in your FJs future build-wise/travel-wise/etc?

Lee44:I am gathering the supplies I need for the dual battery install. I’m almost ready to start. The last of the parts have arrived from Shrockworks. At the same time, I’ll be installing the bracket and fuse/relay module also from Shrockworks. I’ll be correcting some wiring issues at that time.

At some point I plan on running power from the aux battery to the rear for the compressor and fuel transfer pump. Outlet for a fridge maybe.

I’d really like to get the matching Metaltech front bumper. Transfer case and rear end armor. I think I will stay with 33’s. I don’t do serious crawling, mostly overlanding. I don’t want to deal with re-gearing. Or the cost of the parts.

As I indicated earlier, that trip to Moab is a priority. We’ll see how I feel about crawling then.

Hayden: What final advice do you have for someone new to the FJ Cruiser or the Forum?

Lee44: You may not like or feel you’ve gotten a condescending answer to your question or feel you’re being ignored. That’s not the case, we are all here to help and learn. Learning to use the forum search function will help you out a lot. Remember, Google is your friend. Learn all you can before that purchase. Buy once, cry once. Welcome to the forum!

#7 ·
Around the Northwest

Even the hills are happy

@BOBTAILFJ squeezing under a downed tree.

#23 ·
#8 ·
Congratulations!

#20 ·
Reactions: Lee44
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.