Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

181 - 199 of 199 Posts

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
34,604 Posts
I haven't seen where it's been lifted yet, but Utah is requiring people to fill out forms for travel in the state because of the virus. Something else to check into.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yes there are quite a few of us still planning on coming - since it’s not an official, organized event, just basically a bunch of friends getting together to wheel, it’s not subject to mandates except state guidelines for social distancing if they’re in effect then. Only other factor may be hotels and campgrounds which have yet to reopen.....updates to come on this thread ?
Thank Deb, I will keep checking for updates. We still need a place to stay but I plan to wait a couple weeks and then get that booked, kind of looking a VRBO.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,422 Posts
Thank Deb, I will keep checking for updates. We still need a place to stay but I plan to wait a couple weeks and then get that booked, kind of looking a VRBO.
I’m sure you’ll have no problem getting a room! I booked through an online service with free cancellation.

·
Vendor
2,131 Posts
I have seen That Summit has been Canceled .

·
トヨタ Master
9,828 Posts
Really? With everything opening up with PPE and preventetive measures, I figured it was a go. Heck, everyone is outside all of the time anyway down there. Isn't that the point?

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Were any of the Summit swag made? Even though it was canceled, I'd like to purchase the stickers to add to my collection. I figure this will also help to offset their capital cost (if items were already made).

·
Premium Member
4,772 Posts
Really? With everything opening up with PPE and preventetive measures, I figured it was a go. Heck, everyone is outside all of the time anyway down there. Isn't that the point?
Dinner and the raffle would be unworkable, with buffet serving and hundreds of people sitting next to each other under a big tent. Nevermind the fact that their event insurance costs probably went through the roof for this year.

·
Premium Member
4,772 Posts
Were any of the Summit swag made? Even though it was canceled, I'd like to purchase the stickers to add to my collection. I figure this will also help to offset their capital cost (if items were already made).
If they did make any swag yet, I'm sure they'll just re-use it for next year? The Summit event # will be right, even if the year is off.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Heres a facebook video of the @sshole sheriff down in San Juan County (e.g Silverton) implying they wont open jeep trails this summer.

I say good luck with enforcing that. Weird, that I can drive into town on the paved highways as can all the other people... but we are going to leave Jeep roads closed because they are just to attractive of destination. The amount of people doing forest service roads vs. Colo Highways is a tiny proportion.

Perhaps this thinking is rampant down in the San Juans.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
That's all swell if people keep their distance but this is a social event with a lot of people crammed into a small space. There would be so many changes required that it just wouldn't make sense.
And the risk involved. What if just one or two carriers were in the crowd ? That would be terrible.
This was the only responsible decision especially considering that Ouray just cancelled their 4th of July celebration.

No Summit swag was made and we don't plan to make any.
Dinner and the raffle would be unworkable, with buffet serving and hundreds of people sitting next to each other under a big tent. Nevermind the fact that their event insurance costs probably went through the roof for this year.
Yeah, dinners, raffle and even vendor nights just don't work.
Thread title updated to reflect cancellation.
Thanks Hannibal !

·
Premium Member
4,772 Posts
I say good luck with enforcing that. Weird, that I can drive into town on the paved highways as can all the other people... but we are going to leave Jeep roads closed because they are just to attractive of destination. The amount of people doing forest service roads vs. Colo Highways is a tiny proportion.

Perhaps this thinking is rampant down in the San Juans.
If you're on any of the Facebook pages for the area, it's a mix of local business and AirBnB types worried that their season will be ruined, and other residents who are less financially vested in tourism and would probably rather we all never came there in the first place.

One thing to note that may not be obvious to people from large cities: places like Ouray and Silverton don't have the healthcare infrastructure to support a large outbreak in the local population. The closest thing you'd call a "hospital" is in Montrose. If you have a heart attack in places like this, you don't usually get to a hospital fast enough for them to save you. You either survive it with what the ambulance team can do or you die.

All of Ouray County currently has 6 confirmed cases, that's before a thousand people from all over the country stay in their hotels, eat at their restaurants etc. Mardi Gras in late February was a similar collection of travelers -- albeit much larger -- and turned New Orleans into a hot-spot for the country.

You have a valid point about people driving through on the highways vs offroaders sticking around for a few days. Some counties here in Colorado have even gone to the extent of telling people not from there to stay away, including people driving through.

The advice I'll give here is the same as what I tell our local Colorado FJ Cruisers members: this to be a strange year for our offroading hobby. Do as much as you can to get out there and enjoy it, but handle the restrictions gracefully and respectfully. These communities don't have the WFH opportunities that the rest of us do, so in many ways they're making a hard decision between their financial stability and their health.

·
トヨタ Master
9,828 Posts
If you're on any of the Facebook pages for the area, it's a mix of local business and AirBnB types worried that their season will be ruined, and other residents who are less financially vested in tourism and would probably rather we all never came there in the first place.

One thing to note that may not be obvious to people from large cities: places like Ouray and Silverton don't have the healthcare infrastructure to support a large outbreak in the local population. The closest thing you'd call a "hospital" is in Montrose. If you have a heart attack in places like this, you don't usually get to a hospital fast enough for them to save you. You either survive it with what the ambulance team can do or you die.

All of Ouray County currently has 6 confirmed cases, that's before a thousand people from all over the country stay in their hotels, eat at their restaurants etc. Mardi Gras in late February was a similar collection of travelers -- albeit much larger -- and turned New Orleans into a hot-spot for the country.

You have a valid point about people driving through on the highways vs offroaders sticking around for a few days. Some counties here in Colorado have even gone to the extent of telling people not from there to stay away, including people driving through.

The advice I'll give here is the same as what I tell our local Colorado FJ Cruisers members: this to be a strange year for our offroading hobby. Do as much as you can to get out there and enjoy it, but handle the restrictions gracefully and respectfully. These communities don't have the WFH opportunities that the rest of us do, so in many ways they're making a hard decision between their financial stability and their health.
It is a bummer for them though. We own a business too and will be short this summer as well. I would encourage people to go out in smaller parties maybe 2 or 3 in case someone needs help or gets stuck. Just be smart and follow what you've been doing and wear masks to protect the ones who probably won't survive if they contract this virus. We can all be safe and live life at the same time. (y)

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
It is a bummer for them though. We own a business too and will be short this summer as well. I would encourage people to go out in smaller parties maybe 2 or 3 in case someone needs help or gets stuck. Just be smart and follow what you've been doing and wear masks to protect the ones who probably won't survive if they contract this virus. We can all be safe and live life at the same time. (y)
You can rest assured that plenty of would-be Summit attendees will still be coming to town but if I had any say in the matter I would also recommend just going out in small parties.
I still plan to visit Ouray this year but maybe not until later as my summer workload is ridiculous.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts

I get why they would cancel the Summit as you have very large crowds and that is not yet feasible due to COVID. I dont understand why some would close Jeep Trails entirely. As far as medical care, this is no different than it has always been. Anytime you are in the backcountry, a million miles from nowhere, you can die of a heart attack, stroke, etc long before they can get you to medical care anywhere in Colorado. This is the nature of the beast.

A couple years ago a group of 3 of us were dirtbiking in late October about 1.5 hr drive from Denver (pretty close in) when one member of our party crashed hard and was concussed. Couldnt even stand, couldnt ride his motorcycle out. Couldnt get a cell phone signal. One of us stayed with the injured, one went to find help. He found some Jeepers that would come get our injured and take him out. Even at the top to the drainage we could not get a cell signal to call for emergency or sheriff. Net result, from time of injury to ER in Denver...5.5 hours. If he had been bleeding internally within his head he would have been dead or brain injured for life and he was lucky. This is how it always works in the backcountry...COVID or no COVID.

As far as Colorado medical resources go, we are well below capacity. See here: IHME | COVID-19 Projections

Again, not saying that we should have a thousand person Summit in Ouray, just simply stating that its time to open up these places to normal things such as people wanting to go on Forest Service roads and jeep trails.

181 - 199 of 199 Posts