Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Having read all of this, I am making a vague plan to drive down to Moab Before Summit and watch and learn. Plus I will try to register for Summit, but the main draw is Moab. I would really like to see how and why some of these rigs are built, and watch the trail runs.

I am willing to help in any way I can for the unofficial disorganized event. And if there is a shirt, I suggest we have patches 'n' stickers 'n' pins using the same art work.

·
Premium Member
4,688 Posts
Not complaining here, but why isn’t this an FJ only Summit/event? I mean, it is an FJ Summit after all. If it was open to only FJs we would see more people with FJs being able to go and not excluded at sign up.
My opinion, I'm not a Summit director.

Because it didn't fill up for the first ~7-8 years, so they didn't want to exclude anybody. These calls to make it an FJ-only event started after the event filled up, and FJ owners felt like they deserved a spot more than non-FJ owners.

Except for the one year that they had website issues during registration, I've never heard of a person who was on their computer hitting refresh when registration opened who didn't get in. So even if it was just FJ owners, if you aren't sitting on your computer hitting refresh, you probably still aren't getting in. It will just sell out in 4 minutes rather than 27 seconds.

One other thing that I've learned / observed: as you keep coming to subsequent Summits, the event becomes less about offroading and more about seeing friends that you only get to see once a year. I have great Summit friends that live far away and never make it out to Colorado except for Summit, and I wouldn't want to exclude those people because they had kids and needed a 4Runner / Land Cruiser to still enjoy the outdoors with their family.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I wouldn't say exclude other rigs. I think I explained
my thought incorrectly. Summit was marketed these past couple years for more than just the FJ, whether it was LC, 4R or GXOR. Once that was done, I think some of the charm was lost for the FJ among those who couldn't make in. For example, sub groups for the Toyota models ended up having their own meets on the side of the event that the public are not invited to (unless you're in their group). Turning Summit into a puddle, watered down with other rigs.

I think anybody that wants to attend, should go... Just my thought that the FJC fan base is strong enough, that is all. Maybe I have it all wrong but there were many newb Toyota owners at Summit that could care less about the FJC.

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
...I think anybody that wants to attend, should go...
Agreed, don't need permission to hang with my friends.

Now the lottery and "car show" events is their gig, trails are everyones, trail leader assistance is theirs, Ouray bars are not (unless they do a private party), signing trail waivers is theirs...

I prefer small trail groups, six or less. 20+ trail groups is just obnoxious (2 groups of ten separated by just minutes is twenty trucks).

Many enjoy the event and should support it.

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
Not complaining here, but why isn’t this an FJ only Summit/event? I mean, it is an FJ Summit after all. If it was open to only FJs we would see more people with FJs being able to go and not excluded at sign up. No disrespect to the 4Runners of course or Lexus’s and such. Not only that, but perhaps open spots left over might invite some classic FJ 40’s to join us too.

Are current raffle nights geared toward products that are mostly amenable to FJs or are we raffling off 4Runner bumpers soon too??

I am by no means exclusive but when I went to Summit I didn’t find much to speak of with my 4 Runner brothers other than ‘nice rig’. What do we share to talk about besides trails, or a common manufacturer and engine?

If it’s not just an FJ event(btw Japan can do this why can’t we make it work?) then make it a Toyota event.

Mike
Ahhh, here we go once again. :rofl:

I could make this long and drawn out but it is like this. MOST would agree that old FJs, 4Runners and Land Cruisers have made the event more interesting. In light of the discontinuation, we believe welcoming all Toyota 4x4s has helped insure the success of the event. How you ask ? It takes way more to put on this event than you may realize. Focusing 100% on a discontinued vehicles is a great way to lose the interest of vendors. Vendors are a key piece of the event puzzle (can't make it happen without them) and a wider audience is what they want to see. Also, by focusing on all Toyota 4x4s, we have the attention of Toyota, TrD and Lexus. That is a good thing not just for the event but for the future of Toyota 4x4s. They are sending designers and engineers to the event and discussing like and dislikes with our attendees.

Realistically, FJC owners were always treated like the red headed step child of the family. We are nurturing a "Toyota 4x4 family" and in my opinion it has been great for everyone involved. I think the continued quick sell-outs indicate that we are doing something right and plenty of people want to be a part of it. In all honesty, if i had to look at 400 FJ Cruisers every year I would no longer be attending and would quit as a director.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
Ahhh, here we go once again. :rofl:

I could make this long and drawn out but it is like this. MOST would agree that old FJs, 4Runners and Land Cruisers have made the event more interesting. In light of the discontinuation, we believe welcoming all Toyota 4x4s has helped insure the success of the event. How you ask ? It takes way more to put on this event than you may realize. Focusing 100% on a discontinued vehicles is a great way to lose the interest of vendors. Vendors are a key piece of the event puzzle (can't make it happen without them) and a wider audience is what they want to see. Also, by focusing on all Toyota 4x4s, we have the attention of Toyota, TrD and Lexus. That is a good thing not just for the event but for the future of Toyota 4x4s. They are sending designers and engineers to the event and discussing like and dislikes with our attendees.

Realistically, FJC owners were always treated like the red headed step child of the family. We are nurturing a "Toyota 4x4 family" and in my opinion it has been great for everyone involved. I think the continued quick sell-outs indicate that we are doing something right and plenty of people want to be a part of it. In all honesty, if i had to look at 400 FJ Cruisers every year I would no longer be attending and would quit as a director.

Ok. How about moving it a 1/2 week later?
Registration on Sunday, runs M-W in consideration of weather and fewer weekenders on the trails. Was pretty busy this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
194 Posts
Maybe it should be rebranded as Toyota Summit. The name FJ Summit implies it's an FJ only event. As an FJ owner, I like the idea of meeting people with the exact same vehicle that I have. I do also understand the reasons that others would like to join the event with other vehicles, thus the name potentially being changed to Toyota Summit or maybe even have a Tacoma Summit and 4Runner summit even though that involves much more work and possibly different venues.

Personally the vendors being there doesn't matter to me. I already follow them on social media and wouldn't buy anything at the event anyway because that's not what I do. I know they contribute in other ways at the event so that is appreciated but I'd be OK if they weren't there even though others have a must need requirement to see and buy from them. Either way, it's impossible to please everyone and everything they want so know that I appreciate you guys doing the best you can to put on a great event (even though I've never been, partly because I couldn't get in and partly because of work or family plans interfering).

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Woodsman: Makes sense what you are saying for sure. Perhaps it’s time to rebrand the Summit to reflect what it already is. Personally I would never grow tired of meeting up with 400 FJ s from around the country/world every year. In fact, I would love it. :)

Thanks for all you do sir.

Mike

·
Registered
2,695 Posts

·
トヨタ Master
5,802 Posts
I like seeing the vendors there. It gives me a chance to see new gear and equipment specifically engineered for Toyota and Lexus. Oh, yeah, I'm also a Toytec dealer and installer. This includes everything you can buy from them including brands from ARB, Bilstein, Rhino Rack, Warn, and many others. My case may be unique in that way but I don't get the chance to go to bigger meets or SEMA and Ouray is quick for me. I also don't have much interest in what the other vehicle brands are doing so an all Toyota events suits my interests and my business better.

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
Ok. How about moving it a 1/2 week later?
Registration on Sunday, runs M-W in consideration of weather and fewer weekenders on the trails. Was pretty busy this year.
With the increased popularity of "overlanding", side-by-sides and the good economy I would expect it to get even busier. Changing the dates isn't going to happen as the thu-sun format has worked well with the street closure/photo op.

Maybe it should be rebranded as Toyota Summit. The name FJ Summit implies it's an FJ only event. As an FJ owner, I like the idea of meeting people with the exact same vehicle that I have. I do also understand the reasons that others would like to join the event with other vehicles, thus the name potentially being changed to Toyota Summit or maybe even have a Tacoma Summit and 4Runner summit even though that involves much more work and possibly different venues.

Personally the vendors being there doesn't matter to me. I already follow them on social media and wouldn't buy anything at the event anyway because that's not what I do. I know they contribute in other ways at the event so that is appreciated but I'd be OK if they weren't there even though others have a must need requirement to see and buy from them. Either way, it's impossible to please everyone and everything they want so know that I appreciate you guys doing the best you can to put on a great event (even though I've never been, partly because I couldn't get in and partly because of work or family plans interfering).
Maybe it shound :grin Many people come in large part to see the vendors and they are certainly a part of the experience and formula that makes it all work.

Woodsman: Makes sense what you are saying for sure. Perhaps it’s time to rebrand the Summit to reflect what it already is. Personally I would never grow tired of meeting up with 400 FJ s from around the country/world every year. In fact, I would love it. :)

Thanks for all you do sir.

Mike
Maybe it should :grin Do I hear an echo ? :rofl:

I totally understand the vendor situation and I like seeing all the LCs, 1st-4th Gen 4Runners, Tacos, and GXs at the Summit.

But 5th Gen 4Runners? We need to keep some kind of decorum.
The thing is . . . other Toyota's were always welcome at the FJ Summit . . . even at the early events.

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
Maybe it's worth starting a thread with a poll since most attendees are members here. :shrug03:
Maybe it isn't. Realistically, we have a non-profit as well as a trademark and don't plan to go through all of that again. You can call it what you want but for now it is the FJ Summit or the Summit for short.

·
トヨタ Master
5,802 Posts
Maybe it isn't. Realistically, we have a non-profit as well as a trademark and don't plan to go through all of that again. You can call it what you want but for now it is the FJ Summit or the Summit for short.
Well....you started it! :lol:

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Well, I’m kinda disappointed that the Summit isn’t an FJ Summit any more. When I got mine I immediately started planning on registering and begging and/or bribing my way into a spot for 2020. in my head it was all of yous guys in person and in one spot. But it sounds like not a lot of FJs and a ton of those silly 4Rumpers. ~sarcasm, had one, really enjoyed it- I’m still wildly excited to go next year, my expectations are just different now.
Count me in for a full blown FJ meet up too! Don’t care where or when - I’m there! Well, it can’t be this Thursday, I’ve got a Lone Star Land Cruiser meeting. Or Friday, I’m going to the state fair. But after that, wide open. I don’t really do Oklahoma. No offense, but I’m a Texan and it’s Oklahoma....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
But it sounds like not a lot of FJs
I don't think that's true... just my gut feeling as 2019 was my first year, but I think there were more FJs than any other model... and probably more than half of the total, which is close to 200 FJs.

81 - 100 of 108 Posts