Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone attempted to install the latest dash electronics in a older model FJ?

My son has a 2010 that I will "retire" in a year or so for me to play with. I was wondering if I could source the latest dash from a '20 or '21 international model and install it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
What does the '20-'21 dash unit looks like? I suppose you're talking about the headunit?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
interesting that the nav wouldn't be programmable, but I hadn't thought of that as an issue. I was looking at it as bringing the 2010 forward to 2021 and making it shiny and new on the inside and staying Toyota.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Keep in mind that in many countries the radio frequencies and the steps between them are different than here. So the radios may not work optimally, either.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I felt the same way, and purchased a 12.3" android head unit. I did a review of it a little over a year ago, and have no regrets. It "modernizes" the FJ in a sense, which sounds like what you're going for. There are quite a few of these for sale, and I've linked a few options I've seen for sale, in the video's description section. I hope the video gives you some insight into some pros and cons.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Which unit is this? It’s nice, also do you have the factory sub?
12.3" CUSP headunit from Amazon. I linked my purchase below and its on sale right now. Fitment is not the greatest but if you have a dremel you'll be fine! Yes I do have the JBL system and steering controls and everything works. Only thing I loss ability of is the AUX/USB input and the siriusXM antenna. The aux plug can be purchased separately and retrofitted with our FJs. I also followed LiL13izzy7's videos and managed to apply the wireless TPMS sensor with the unit.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Does it use Google maps? If so, can you put it in satellite view and download maps in case you lose reception?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Other than the headunit (changed in MY12) and the graphics on the main speedo/tacho dials (changed in MY14), nothing else on the dash has changed from day 1 to now. Well not in Australia anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts