Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

20in wheels on my 2WD FJ

72K views 86 replies 41 participants last post by  Fishtale 
#1 ·
Hello-

I'm interested in putting 20in wheels with a low to mid profile tire on my 2008 2WD FJ without lifting if at all possible. Does anyone know if a 20x9.5 - 6x5.5 wheel will rub when at full turn? Also, I see there is what is called "Hub Centric", do I need a Hub Centric wheel?

I can't really find any info specifically on this setup so any feedback is appreciated!

Thanks!

#4 ·
Yup, the search function here works just as well as Google.

The old Hub Centric vs Lug Centric debate is like the chicken and the egg. I've heard both cases, and I went with lug centric because it made more sense to me.

With 33"s you'll probably rub, unless you have a really low profile tire. When you excercise the search feature, try to search "body chop." It's a cheap mod that will allow you to put bigger tires on your FJ.

#5 ·

This is what's look like after installation 20" wheelset, no lift, an it rub when you make a full turn.

#6 ·
Looks like an FJ/Tahoe.

#9 ·
ditch the 20s, get some 16s and some 285s!

#11 ·
My feelings on that are as follows....... :eek: :ugh: :notsigned: :sick: :cry:

That is all.

#12 ·
Whoa now hold on guys! I'm not attempting to aka "Bling" it out; I'm just in search of what I would call an aggressive appearance. :rofl:

I'm thinking since my FJ is black then perhaps I should try something different then what I'm used to and do a black-on-black. So this style doesn't appeal to the mainstream FJ crowd? Personally I think if you take a second and look at the profile of this particular setup it's pretty bad ass yet presentable/practical at the same time IMO.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Photo Gallery - luanta Gallery - Powered by PhotoPost

Cheers!

#14 ·
Haha, don't worry. No one means any harm. It is just that 90% of the people on this forum take their FJ offroad, and it is marketed as an offroad vehicle. So to take it and throw 20" rims on it, well, i guess you get the idea.

Imagine going to a Jeep wrangler forum, that would seem to be occupied by a bunch of offroaders, and asking them about fitting 20" rims on a Wrangler.

Black rims look good on everything. I have two sets. I blacked out the factory alloys even.

#13 ·
that doesnt look so bad actually..just no chrome haha good luck finding your wheels!:cheers:

#24 ·
Hello igloo, I run 20"s and proud of em'. Yeah I run 325/60's on those rims and there awesome!!! You will have to do some chopping and lifting to squeeze these monsters onboard. You can run the 285/60/20 and never have to do all that chopping and lifting. Just watch the curbs and obstacles as you can easily destroy them rims!!! To each there own :wave:

#29 ·
This is why I moved this guys thread to "our" world. I thought it would let him see just how bad a$$ our 2wds can look and more importantly BE!

Thanks folks!!

#41 ·
Thank you all for your input. I'm actually supposed to take delivery on my FJ today so I will reconsider what size wheels I put on. The color FJ I chose was black so I think I'll most definitely go with black wheels as well and not chrome. I currently have a 06 Tacoma that I'm trading in which I lifted and I'm for certain I do not want to go that route again. I like the look of my Tacoma but it’s just not practical for me anymore (or for my 9yr old daughter, wife etc.) having to clime in and out of it; not to mention the ride is rough as tank.

Here’s a pic of my Tacoma I’m handing over in trade for the FJ:

Cheers!

Attachments

#48 ·
Well Igloo21, thank you for picking my FJ out as the look you want. I am flattered. As for the rubbing issue, i ran 285 50 20 yokohama parada on pro comp 7089 flat blacks. the wheels come hubcentric already so no need for any rings. they are an excellent fitment. the tires are very smooth and grippy for on road applications (which is all I ever did). I must make note that I did purchase 12x1.5 ET lugs (which has a little extra thread) for these wheels since toyota's generally come with shorter lugbolts. this way i got 12-14 full turns as oppose to 5-6 with the supplied lugbolts. Congrats on your FJ. :rocker:

#42 ·
Definitely go for hubcentric wheels if you can find them. 20's will fit no problem if you aren't going with a larger tire (33"+) and keep everything the same rolling diameter. Personally, i'd go 22's, they fill up the wheel wells much nicer.

#44 ·
all you who bagged on 2wd and people with 20's are a bunch of morons. I myself wouldnt put 20's on my FJ but then again a lot of you probably wouldnt put a bright green skid plate on your FJ like I put on mine. let people do what they want, if you dont like it then whatever, they didnt ask if you didnt like it. get over it, find something better to do with your life than being an idiot.

btw, some of us 4x2 people drive harder than you 4x4 drivers...just keep that in mind next time you open your keyboard mouth.:cheers:

#47 ·
No offense rider77, but if you post something on an INTERNET FORUM, and are expecting to not get opinions, (especially with it being something contrary to what 95% of the populace on said forum is doing with their vehicles) maybe a MRI is in order because something ain't working right.

With that said and having looked at the other thread of rims, 24's don't look all that bad. The rake still makes it look silly. A leveled, or rear end lowered FJ with 24's (that are not chrome) i wouldn't mind seeing.

Igloo, 20's are old school, you can get those on stock dodge ram. Go 24's if the budget allows.

#45 ·
There is "off-road" and there is "street" -

Having grown up in SoCal I get this -

Do what makes you happy brother -

You will find that most people here on this forum are going to be more aggressively off-road, so some may make fun and be critical of your vision -

Follow your own path -

No regrets -

But don't be afraid to change your mind as well - :cheers:

-

#46 ·
well said

#53 ·
285/50R20 is your magic number

285=width
50=height
20=wheel size

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.